PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the perfect rain suit

vito1943
04-21-2022, 10:36 AM
During my almost 40 years of riding I have bought numerous rain suits, always hoping for the perfect one that will keep me dry and not roast me to well done. Some seemed okay but leaked at the seams. Some kept me dry but if still on for even a few minutes when the rain stopped and the sun came out left me in a pool of sweat almost instantly. Frog Togs seemed to let some air flow through, and worked in light rain, but the water worked its way through during a real downpour. What made me think of it today was opening up one of the side cases on my RT and seeing the two rain suits inside, one for me and one for my wife, and realizing that I bought those when still riding a Goldwing and never once put it on. Getting caught in a light rain on any bike with a good windscreen is tolerable without a rain suit for the normally short ride back to the garage at home. But I am hoping to make some lengthy trips later this Spring, and I know that at some point I likely will get caught in heavy rain, so once again thinking about searching for the "perfect" rain suit.

Wmoater
04-21-2022, 10:49 AM
I have the Klim forecast (pants and jacket) and have never got wet and have seen some pretty hard rain. Last late summer we got caught in a hurricane coming up the coast on our way home and rode it out. Never got got a drop of water. Expensive but full gortex and breathable.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-21-2022, 12:28 PM
I have the Klim forecast (pants and jacket) and have never got wet and have seen some pretty hard rain. Last late summer we got caught in a hurricane coming up the coast on our way home and road it out. Never got got a drop of water. Expensive but full gortex and breathable.

IMHO, the pants are the most likely to leak .... So to keep the cost down just buy the pants .... saw an Ad for - $ 250.00 .....JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

mecsw500
04-21-2022, 12:36 PM
I have a BMW jacket and pants that are really good. However, the pants have a mesh linit all the way down the legs which always pokes out whenever you put them on. They both stay very dry, but the pants are a pain in the neck with my arthritis try to get the linings sorted out. I'm currently looking and evaluating alternative pants and I might well try Klim as I have their mesh summer jackets which are really high quality.

EdMat
04-21-2022, 12:44 PM
I have the Klim forecast (pants and jacket) and have never got wet and have seen some pretty hard rain. Last late summer we got caught in a hurricane coming up the coast on our way home and road it out. Never got got a drop of water. Expensive but full gortex and breathable.

I agree. Mine have seen a lot of rain here in the Southeast.

bigbadbrucie
04-21-2022, 01:24 PM
IMHO, the pants are the most likely to leak .... So to keep the cost down just buy the pants .... saw an Ad for - $ 250.00 .....JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

$250.00 for just the pants? Jeez...I’m totally out of touch. I still use the pair that I bought in the ‘80s, and they were cheap then. They keep me dry...one of the no-name brands. I’ve worn them in heavy, all day/week rains. It was my gloves that suffered....totally wring out soaked.

cravenfun
04-21-2022, 02:17 PM
Gore Tex and sealed seams are a must. My experience with Klim gear is with Klim snowmobile gear and it's pricey, but it keeps me dry, no wet butt from snow melting under it, so for me it's Gore-Tex or nothing. I've had snow turn to rain on the sled and it's no different than being on a bike. I have no complaints on Klim stuff.
I use Gore-Tex boots for my dedicated riding boots. Bates 8'' side zip ones. Happy dry feet and no struggling putting on boot covers on the side of the road or trying to dry them out overnight for the next day.
My old HD touring jacket still keeps me dry and is hanging in there.
An old pair of Gore-Tex snowmobile gauntlet style gloves keep my hands warm and dry and stop water from blowing up my sleeves. They are always in the saddle bag, good for the temp. drop nights also.
You get what you pay for when it comes to rain gear. I still not so fondly remember those $1 clear rain suits that flapped apart after 20 miles on my old '75 Honda 750K. Garbage bag under it could get you a few more miles LOL

StalkyTracker
04-21-2022, 04:21 PM
I have had good luck with a set of Frogg Toggs. Purchased in 2012. Still keeping me dry on two wheels.

YMMV

JohnRuckus
04-21-2022, 06:22 PM
If you're just looking for a pair of pants, buy some wind breakers and slip them on over your pants until the rain stops. I know, you don't want to deal with the hassle of stopping and changing, but it's cheaper than $250 lol

Gwolf
04-22-2022, 04:40 AM
Best rainsuit I ever had is the HWK. Reasonable price. No too hot as long as you are moving. Nice and dry if you are not riding in a tropical storm. Zippers make it easy on and off. Last for years. They are fabric with liners. Block wind in cool weather too. Still using the new one I bought about 5 years ago. No leaks.

Brentc
04-22-2022, 06:47 AM
Another plus 1 on the Klim brand gear. Have had no issues with their jackets, pants etc…
As other have noted, it is not inexpensive, but I felt well worth the money after having had it for several seasons and used in numerous conditions.

Wmoater
04-22-2022, 07:30 AM
If you are worried about the Forecast pants leaking, the thicker better version is the “Traverse.” Both of my parents have them. They are even more expensive but very, very, very good at sliding over existing pants. They are a bit more bulky than the Forecast but are pretty much bullet proof! I also have a set of Latitude pants that I wear shorts under. They are super comfortable and rainproof if you want pants only and not slip ons. Both made by Klim. Latitude come with armor but I removed the knee pads and wear just as pants.

Fatcycledaddy
04-22-2022, 07:35 AM
We have the First Gear Rainman suits that we got from BajaRon back in 2015, been in some major rains and have always stayed dryer than a popcorn fart.

Navydad
04-22-2022, 12:55 PM
Do you want to stay dry or do you want to make a fashion statement? Most suits tailored for motorcycles are made to look good or to get you to the next exit where you can find shelter for the rest of the storm. If it says "breathable" of "vented" sooner or later on a long wet day it is going to leak. After 40 years of this crap I finally went after the stuff that guys who really need to stay dry are using. Google Grunden rain gear. It's what guys use that have to be outside and have to stay dry are using. I got a hooded jacket and a pair of bibs for less than any "designer" bike suits and while not pretty these have kept me drier than any rainsuit I have ever had. Not pretty and you won't get rave reviews at the gas pumps, but when you want to be dry, these will do it. First real test was TWO tropical storms while touring in the south. One storm had winds that finally chased me off the roads, but I was as dry as dry could be. Grunden.

RayBJ
04-22-2022, 01:13 PM
GORTEX is king when looking for waterproof and sweat removal. It's not cheap but NOTHING works as well to keep you dry and comfortable. The best option is BONDED to the outer shell (lighter when dry and, more importantly, the shell doesn't get waterlogged like a layered liner. I've ridden full days in heavy rain at speed and stayed completely dry.

Goretex gear is on the upper side of prices but you get what you pay for.

Mazo EMS2
04-22-2022, 01:34 PM
Everyone has a different idea of perfect. Yes ideally you'd ride in a hurricane and be dry afterward, but we all know that won't happen. You can stay dry from the rain, but maybe be hot from sweating....I've stayed fairly comfortable in the BRP gear I have. We bought it at a rally one day just before a ride that we knew we would get rained on. It worked well, but we had some damp spots...to be expected

RayBJ
04-22-2022, 03:08 PM
If you're not a long distance tourer likely to hit un-forecasted storms, the emergency rain suit may be your best option. Waaay cheaper and easy to stow but they don't breathe. Might as well carry a few garbage bags in case of rain. If you're a 'road warrior', you need true waterproofing with moisture sapping away from skin. Last spring I rode from 50* hard rain in the CO mountains down to plains at 102* sunny - all the same day and never got wet or felt hot in the Goretex gear.