PDA

View Full Version : Mobile one full synthetic race oil

swrafey2000
10-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Has anyone used Mobile One Full Synthetic race oil for motorcycles with a wet clutch system?

BLACK WIDOW
10-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Has anyone used Mobile One Full Synthetic race oil for motorcycles with a wet clutch system?

Yes, I use the Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil in the 10W40 weight. It is fully JASO/MA certified and meets or exceeds all requirements for motorcycle transmissions as well as wet clutches. Can't go wrong with that one.:thumbup:

Michael:doorag:

Spyder#353
10-06-2009, 11:04 PM
:agree: I use Mobil One also. 10W40:2thumbs: Good to go.

Mo Lee
10-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Have it in both Valkyries, and I believe they shift better. Suspect it will be in the Spyder next time.

xpeschon
10-07-2009, 05:35 AM
I'm not real happy with the oil BRP uses either.. I plan on going to a Full Sythetic and it will probably be Mobile One Full Synthetic race oil for motorcycles.. Remember Lee the Tech is at Cowtown today so maybe that would be a question for him, or maybe not right?? With the Cold setting in soon and I am more likely not going to ride it near as much now I may wait till Summer comes around, What do you think?

Joe

j45p3r
10-07-2009, 10:26 AM
I just switched to 10w-40 Amsoil and noticed a significant difference in the shifting. Much smoother now. I think it's hard too go wrong with any of the full synthetics and I was a bit disappointed to see BRP switch to the blend, which is why I switched.

BeRight
10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
I use Castrol Power RS R4 fully synthetic 5W-40 - only oil I could find (probably others avaliable) that meets the letter of the law according to BRP- as noted in owner's manual. Which might be important if you ever have an engine warranty issue and you choose to do your own oil changes.

To me it is not a matter of what oil works well in the Spyder - it is what oil keeps it compliant with warranty.

BRP violates their own warranty by only providing and directing their dealers to use BRP blended oil. :lecturef_smilie: Go figure.

Firefly
10-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I use Castrol Power RS R4 fully synthetic 5W-40 - only oil I could find (probably others avaliable) that meets the letter of the law according to BRP- as noted in owner's manual. Which might be important if you ever have an engine warranty issue and you choose to do your own oil changes.

To me it is not a matter of what oil works well in the Spyder - it is what oil keeps it compliant with warranty.

BRP violates their own warranty by only providing and directing their dealers to use BRP blended oil. :lecturef_smilie: Go figure.

I bought a bunch of the 'old' full-syn BRP oil that meets 'the book' requirements--- for $7.00 a quart.

The new blend sucks IMO.

I believe the Castrol Power RS R4 fully synthetic 5W-40 is a good contender for what BRP was actually selling as their own full-syn oil to begin with.

M2Wild
10-07-2009, 02:48 PM
I got a case of Royal Purple from Amazon.com $30 cash rebate and free delivery. Can't beat that deal anywhere.:2thumbs:

jgwoods
10-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Looking at the Mobil 1 Racing oil on the Mobil webpage they don't recommned it for street use.
http://www.modified.com/news/modp-0909-mobil-1-racing-oil/index.html

It has a high phosphorus content which - I think ( I am not an expert here)- can cause problems with O2 sensors and cat converters- item not found on race vehicles so it's not a problem there.

The anti wear properties of the additional phosphorus may help on the racetrack, maybe help on the street, but it is less likely to be needed on the street and the trade off may cause more problems than its worth.

I'd stick to the street formulas.

BLACK WIDOW
10-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Looking at the Mobil 1 Racing oil on the Mobil webpage they don't recommned it for street use.

It has a high phosphorus content which - I think ( I am not an expert here)- can cause problems with O2 sensors and cat converters- item not found on race vehicles so it's not a problem there.

The anti wear properties of the additional phosphorus may help on the racetrack, maybe help on the street, but it is less likely to be needed on the street and the trade off may cause more problems than its worth.

The Phosphorus and Zinc are added for your transmission, that is in part what makes it a Motorcycle oil and not a car oil. JASO/MA is the ONLY certification for Motorcycle oil.nojoke

Firefly
10-09-2009, 11:25 AM

Interesting points---- but I for one don't have a Cat converter or 02 sensor anymore------ :D

BLACK WIDOW
10-09-2009, 11:30 AM

The link you furnished is for auto oil and not Motorcycle oil-:yikes:--There is a MAJOR difference in application. As I have previously stated--If it doesn,t state on the back of the oil container that it is certified as "JASO/MA then it isn't Motorcycle oil.:lecturef_smilie:

Roaddog2
10-09-2009, 12:23 PM
The link you furnished is for auto oil and not Motorcycle oil-:yikes:--There is a MAJOR difference in application. As I have previously stated--If it doesn,t state on the back of the oil container that it is certified as "JASO/MA then it isn't Motorcycle oil.:lecturef_smilie::agree:

Sarge707
10-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I use the Mobil 1 4T Racing Oil in my 255 HP Sea Doo and its great.
After about 3 Thousand I,ll start using it in my NEW 09 SE5.
This will be my 14th Rotax engine and as long as the oil meets BRP,s ratings they have no problem with what oil you use as far as warranty.

Of course they want everyone to buy their oil??? LOL:hun:

BLACK WIDOW
10-09-2009, 06:22 PM
I use the Mobil 1 4T Racing Oil in my 255 HP Sea Doo and its great.
After about 3 Thousand I,ll start using it in my NEW 09 SE5.
This will be my 14th Rotax engine and as long as the oil meets BRP,s ratings they have no problem with what oil you use as far as warranty.

Of course they want everyone to buy their oil??? LOL:hun:

Yes, the Mobil 1 4T Motorcycle Racing oil is what I use also, in the 10W40 weight. I have also used Amsoil Motorcycle oil but Mobil 1 is now sold at our local Walmart and can be picked up anytime at a good price.:thumbup:

jgwoods
10-10-2009, 11:59 AM
I goofed and forgot about motorcycle vs automobile oil.
The main problem for unit engines is possible clutch slippage when you put in an oil that is too "slippery" - great lubrication but doesn't allow the clutch to have enough friction.
I am surprised to hear that BRP is not selling a full synth oil and I will have to look around for one of the alternatives- so far it seems like there are a good number of folks who have been happy with the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil?

I am curious if anyone has put on an oil temp gauge and what oil temps the Spyders run in Summer.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Phosphorous_Motorcycle_Catalytic_Converters.aspx her eis Mobils comments about the high phosphorus content- pretty much a non-issue it seems.

BLACK WIDOW
10-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I goofed and forgot about motorcycle vs automobile oil.
The main problem for unit engines is possible clutch slippage when you put in an oil that is too "slippery" - great lubrication but doesn't allow the clutch to have enough friction.
I am surprised to hear that BRP is not selling a full synth oil and I will have to look around for one of the alternatives- so far it seems like there are a good number of folks who have been happy with the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil?

I am curious if anyone has put on an oil temp gauge and what oil temps the Spyders run in Summer.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Phosphorous_Motorcycle_Catalytic_Converters.aspx her eis Mobils comments about the high phosphorus content- pretty much a non-issue it seems.

Don't know about the temperature; However, the Mobil 1 motorcycle 4T is a very good (pure synthetic) motorcycle oil. I know that there are other very good oils out there that will do just fine. It is not the brand that necessarily makes the difference but the Ratings; And there is only one rating for motorcycles. All pure synthetics (as advertised) are not all created equal either (I won't get into that) so I choose to use Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil because I know what it is and what it is not.:thumbup:

swrafey2000
10-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Thank you for all the replies.I found the oil at Walmart for $8.50 a quart.That's half the price as BRP's oil.Along with the filters I got on EBAY, it cuts the price of my oil change in half.Now i have money to buy something else for Petunia(that's my bike not my wife).

BLACK WIDOW
10-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Thank you for all the replies.I found the oil at Walmart for $8.50 a quart.That's half the price as BRP's oil.Along with the filters I got on EBAY, it cuts the price of my oil change in half.Now i have money to buy something else for Petunia(that's my bike not my wife).

:agree::2thumbs: