PDA

View Full Version : Now we need to be on the lookout for E15 gas!

Saluda
04-13-2022, 06:43 AM
Guess we now have to be on the lookout for it.

EdMat
04-13-2022, 07:04 AM
Somebody in the click must have bought up a bunch of corn futures

Little Blue
04-13-2022, 07:19 AM
:chat:...From what I have read this stuff 'E15' really gives you lots of cleaner air. The downside is that it costs more to make then auto gas. Also the fuel mileage is pretty low.
So much to learn and the media 'knows' all the answers?

Saluda
04-13-2022, 07:22 AM
Supposedly looking at it's total picture the greennies claim E 15 to be worse not better. Also a lot of water is used in its total production. :gaah:
Have you read the latest where they want you deflating SUV tires of the "rich". :(

ButterSmooth
04-13-2022, 08:47 AM
Supposedly looking at it's total picture the greennies claim E 15 to be worse not better. Also a lot of water is used in its total production. :gaah:
Read the latest where they want you deflating SUV tires of the "rich".

Add to that the destruction of the habitat in the Mississippi river and the Gulf from all the corn farm runoff. If they were actually interested in improving the environment instead of profit, they'd end all ethanol production now.

Azbronco
04-13-2022, 09:14 AM
Overall impact to the environment is no better (and potentially worse) for Ethanol compared to gasoline. Gas mileage is worse, and E15 can create engine problems down the road because engines are tuned for the difference--all to save maybe 10 cents/gallon (and that's only because so much of the production is subsidized by the government) but you'll lose the 10 cents with the lost gas mileage. Can-Am also specifically states on their website:

For Spyder models, your machine will perform to its highest potential and best performance on 91-octane fuel with no ethanol. That said, you will not damage anything if you use 87-octane fuel with no more than 10% ethanol, it just won’t perform to its full potential. Ryker models perform well on 87-octane fuels. Do NOT use E15 or any fuel with more that 10% ethanol in any recreational vehicle as this will damage the engine.

Using the E10 ethanol fuel isn’t all that bad, but letting it sit in the fuel tank and the fuel system can lead to long term problems. Typically, you do not want to leave ethanol fuel in your Can-Am Spyder or your Can-Am Ryker for more than 30 days.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en/owner-zone/getting-started/vehicle-information/what-type-gas-3-wheel-motorcycle.html#:~:text=For%20Spyder%20models%2C%2 0your%20machine,well%20on%2087%2Doctane%20fuels.

RayBJ
04-13-2022, 09:31 AM
AMA has been lobbying DC to stop E15 but it doesn't appear that anyone is listening.

baxter
04-13-2022, 09:40 AM
I had the misfortune to mistakenly put E15 in the Spyder last summer and made it down the road about 15 miles before the check engine light came on. Engine and bike ran ok but the ecm must not of liked what it was drinking… Ended up draining tank and refill with the good stuff.

UtahPete
04-13-2022, 10:01 AM
The only reason for allowing E15 to continue being sold for the summer is to ease gas prices. Normally, it would not be due to environmental concerns.

That's my understanding anyway.

spyderdave
04-13-2022, 10:33 AM
The last thing we need is more of it.

Never understood why we would take something that is a food source, for us and livestock, and pour it in a gas tank. From what I understand, ethanol is more of an oxidizer than a fuel; it makes gas burn better, not go farther. It is hard on engine parts; when it was first developed, valves had to be hardened, pistons anodized and most petroleum based gaskets and seals were affected and had to be replaced.

This morning on the local news an ISU professor referred to studies that indicate producing a gallon of ethanol could be 24% more detrimental to our environment than a gallon of gasoline. I agree and would ask any ethanol advocate: what about the millions of tons of water vapor pumped into the air by distillation and increased corn production (ya, corn gives off moisture as it grows), is that why we have deluges instead of rainfall? What about the tons of fertilizer dumped on fields, and the affect on streams, rivers and lakes from run-off. What about plowing under thousands of acres of ground and exposing it to wind erosion and the warming of the sun (think global warming)? What is the cost to the environment of exhaust from vehicles involved in moving product and distillation of corn? And we can make a lot ot ethanol from waste products instead (cellulosic ethanol).

Sorry for the rant, but, IMO, this is one of really senseless things this country does!

UtahPete
04-13-2022, 11:03 AM
The last thing we need is more of it.

Never understood why we would take something that is a food source, for us and livestock, and pour it in a gas tank. From what I understand, ethanol is more of an oxidizer than a fuel; it makes gas burn better, not go farther. It is hard on engine parts; when it was first developed, valves had to be hardened, pistons anodized and most petroleum based gaskets and seals were affected and had to be replaced.

This morning on the local news an ISU professor referred to studies that indicate producing a gallon of ethanol could be 24% more detrimental to our environment than a gallon of gasoline. I agree and would ask any ethanol advocate: what about the millions of tons of water vapor pumped into the air by distillation and increased corn production (ya, corn gives off moisture as it grows), is that why we have deluges instead of rainfall? What about the tons of fertilizer dumped on fields, and the affect on streams, rivers and lakes from run-off. What about plowing under thousands of acres of ground and exposing it to wind erosion and the warming of the sun (think global warming)? What is the cost to the environment of exhaust from vehicles involved in moving product and distillation of corn? And we can make a lot ot ethanol from waste products instead (cellulosic ethanol).

Sorry for the rant, but, IMO, this is one of really senseless things this country does!

It started as a legitimate effort to address oil shortages at the time. But, it's now a fixture because of the farm lobby I think.

UtahPete
04-13-2022, 11:07 AM
AMA has been lobbying DC to stop E15 but it doesn't appear that anyone is listening.

The AMA lobby is an ant to the corn lobby's elephant.

gkamer
04-13-2022, 11:14 AM
:chat:...From what I have read this stuff 'E15' really gives you lots of cleaner air. The downside is that it costs more to make then auto gas. Also the fuel mileage is pretty low.
So much to learn and the media 'knows' all the answers?

I so want to spend more to get less.

Navydad
04-13-2022, 11:17 AM
It started as a legitimate effort to address oil shortages at the time. But, it's now a fixture because of the farm lobby I think.

Follow the money.

2dogs
04-13-2022, 12:32 PM
All the sheeple will go for this in a big way. The best thing is to carry a bottle of octane boost with you so if you get caught somewhere with nothing but E15 or E10 available, you can customize your fuel to the desired blend of octane you need. Maybe carry two bottles if you are traveling in the midwest. Just say'n.

Bartender
04-13-2022, 01:19 PM
The problem isn't octane it is the presence of a greater concentration of ethanol in the fuel than the seals and internals of the fuel injection system in the Spyder is designed to handle without damage. All the octane boost in the world won't fix that problem. Don't know the answer to the question but do know that octane isn't the problem.

2dogs
04-13-2022, 03:20 PM
The problem isn't octane it is the presence of a greater concentration of ethanol in the fuel than the seals and internals of the fuel injection system in the Spyder is designed to handle without damage. All the octane boost in the world won't fix that problem. Don't know the answer to the question but do know that octane isn't the problem.

Here's a comment and link to the comment regarding fuel injected/carburetor operated engines.

E10 “eats up rubber fuel lines,” he said. “The carbs (carburetors) get gummed up when they’re sitting.” Newer machines that have fuel-injected engines have “no problems,” though.

https://www.ellsworthamerican.com/featured/ethanol-blends-cause-tremendous-damage-to-small-engines/

ButterSmooth
04-13-2022, 03:29 PM
Here's a comment and link to the comment regarding fuel injected/carburetor operated engines.

E10 “eats up rubber fuel lines,” he said. “The carbs (carburetors) get gummed up when they’re sitting.” Newer machines that have fuel-injected engines have “no problems,” though.

https://www.ellsworthamerican.com/featured/ethanol-blends-cause-tremendous-damage-to-small-engines/

But be sure to balance this 'general advise' with the owners manual statement not to use E15.

BajaRon
04-13-2022, 03:54 PM
Add to that the destruction of the habitat in the Mississippi river and the Gulf from all the corn farm runoff. If they were actually interested in improving the environment instead of profit, they'd end all ethanol production now.

Ah! Truth! So undervalued these days...

spyderdave
04-13-2022, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know if E15 is gonna be shown on the pump or is this an "up to 15% ethanol" thing hidden behind the "10% ethanol" label? How is the consumer going to know?

jiffy
04-13-2022, 04:50 PM
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) defines E15 as gasoline blended with 10.5% to 15% ethanol. In 2011, EPA approved E15 for use in light-duty conventional vehicles of model year 2001 and newer, through a Clean Air Act waiver request, based on significant testing and research funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. Stations are not required to sell E15, but some have started offering E15 due to state and federal incentives for upgrading equipment and better profit margins when compared with regular gasoline. E15 is available in 30 states at just over 2,300 stations. E10 remains the limit for passenger vehicles older than model year 2001 and for other non-road and small engines and vehicles that use gasoline, such as lawn mowers, motorcycles, and boats.

Vehicles approved for E15 use:
Flexible fuel vehicles
Conventional vehicles of model year 2001 and newer.

Vehicles prohibited from using E15:
All motorcycles
All vehicles with heavy-duty engines, such as school buses and delivery trucks
All off-road vehicles, such as boats and snowmobiles
All engines in off-road equipment, such as chain saws and gasoline lawn mowers
All conventional vehicles older than model year 2001.

2dogs
04-13-2022, 06:22 PM
It's my understanding that octane reduces the temperature at which gasoline ignites, and ethanol is supposed to make that a clean burn. It is supposed to oxygenate the gas. Engines that have 12:1 compression should have around 100% octane to run efficiently. My muscle car can run on mid grade octane as long as I stay out of full throttle because it has 10:1 compression. However, guess who has 12:1 compression? 1330's.
file:///D:/Owner/Downloads/2016_RT%20Spec%20Sheet%20EN_Final.pdf

ARtraveler
04-13-2022, 06:35 PM
My take on all this is that E15 is going to be available. Yes, our owners manuals say not to use it in the Spyders, so I will not be using it.

There will still be choices, so you can spend what you want.

It's just another ploy to placate the public. Last go around, Alaska did away with the gas tax, which was high. Gas got cheaper for awihle, but that took care of the funding for roads, etc.

Just be careful in trying to implicate one person or political party on this one. They are ALL in on it, and as usual, we are going to be the payers. :bowdown:

2dogs
04-13-2022, 07:40 PM
But be sure to balance this 'general advise' with the owners manual statement not to use E15.

Try to share credible info so to help SL's to make their own decisions.

dpetrick
04-13-2022, 09:09 PM
Also be aware the E15 is sometimes called Super 88, for 88 octane. In very fine print on the sticker, it says it is E15. Very confusing.

Little Blue
04-14-2022, 01:13 AM
:chat:...So for our Spyders, Do NOT use E15. ....:gaah:

ARtraveler
04-15-2022, 01:17 PM
:chat:...So for our Spyders, Do NOT use E15. ....:gaah:

That is per the manual. :bowdown:

Raven
04-16-2022, 09:11 AM
I don't know how it works in the US, but here in Ontario most pumps show this.
May contain.
Regular = 10% ethanol
Mid Grade = 5% ethanol
Premium = no ethanol

spyderdave
04-28-2022, 07:21 PM
Just a quick update from the State of Iowa.....; the following bill [B]mandating[B] E15 be sold at gas pumps by 2026 passed both House & Senate and is on Governor's desk to be signed.

"Under the bill in the Iowa Legislature, gas stations that open after Jan. 1, 2023, would have to sell E-15, gas blended with at least 15 percent ethanol, from at least half of their dispensers. Existing gas stations with compatible infrastructure would have to sell E-15 from at least one dispenser by 2026. If a gas station upgrades its underground infrastructure, it would have to offer E-15 from at least 50 percent of its dispensers."

Yeah. :sour:

PMK
10-27-2022, 10:08 AM
Our recent trip 4000 miles from Florida to Maine and back, with associated driving around, I found several gas stations with E15 fuel.
Since most modern gas stations use the one nozzle for regular, mid and premium fuel, to prevent mixing in E15, that fuel utilized it own filler nozzle and hose.
Not at all making this political, just rolling along, and posting what I noticed.