PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel the Can-Am course benefited you significantly* ??

Peacekeeper6
04-12-2022, 11:29 AM
(This poll is only for motorcycle riders with 20 or more years of experience on 2-wheels prior to purchasing their Spyder)

*significantly - as in learn something from the course that may have prevented you from injuring/hurting yourself or others.

Little Blue
04-12-2022, 03:46 PM
:shemademe_smilie:....The wife said that she would not ryde unless I took the course. I said that I have been ryding Motorcycles for over 40 years.

Well looooog story short. I really enjoyed the class and get this, the wife took the class with me.

TIP: YOU are never to old to Learn.
Only sometimes we get our feathers ruffled. .....:gaah:

seagravesg
04-12-2022, 03:58 PM
Was a 2-wheeler for 30+ years. Owned several bikes; love them all. Had a wreck on last 2-wheeler, Honda F6B, totaled it. Sounds worse than really was. Escaped with rash and broken thumb. Mid 60's and looking for new ride I participated in a Can Am weekend training course. One of the best learning experiences ever plus tons of fun. The course taught the basic differences in the Can Am 3 wheelers and 2 wheel motorcycles. Some in the class had never rode a motorcycle. What I mainly took away is the handling parameters of the Can Am like hard stopping, cornering, how to really enjoy the vehicle w/o feet going down at stops, will not tip in hard corners, etc., just learning to trust the machine and realizing the 2-wheel habits are fun to unlearn. NOTE: i do still have my limits but the 2020 F3-T has launched me into a new era.
So, Yes to the benefits (for me) to training course. Voted accordingly on the poll. Did I say the course was FUN!!!

2dogs
04-12-2022, 04:34 PM
Was a 2 wheeler for 50+years. Bought a 4 wheeler in the early 80's. For newbies go to the "DO's and Don't's" and most all the answers to your questions you will find there. After riding 2 and 4 wheelers and snowmobiles, 3 wheels are no problem at all. But, if you've never ridden before, take the class it may just save your life.

mecsw500
04-12-2022, 05:44 PM
I was going to return the thing until after that course. When I learned what it could really do, rather than what I felt it could do, I was much happier. I've been riding 2 wheels for nearly 50 years and I just didn't get it, why was it such a twitchy evil handling thing? Of course, it wasn't, it was me. It felt all wrong just cruising down the road, it roamed about all over the place, or just felt like it did. The course let me learn to relax, trust its capabilities and just let the thing find its own course down the road without constantly fighting it. At $99 and a couple of short days over a weekend, a no brainer in my book. You get a neat book, some new friends and a good laugh into the bargain, as well as saving some money on your insurance premiums.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-12-2022, 08:50 PM
I can't Vote because I didn't take the course, it wasn't offered in ... 09 ... but after I tested my GS out, I traded my 03 Wing in that day ..... I never had an issue with driving it .... JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

Eranical
04-13-2022, 02:26 AM
I took the course to help me decide if the “tryke” was for me. Not only did I realize it was fun, the course also made it clear that I wanted a Spyder and not the Ryker I had thought I would get.

pegasus1300
04-13-2022, 01:16 PM
I can't vote either as no course was offered in Utah in 2015,but I didn't come directly from two wheels to three. I bought a Honda Goldwing trike and rode that for 4 years before I bought the Spyder. I am sure that helped in transition. Still different and I still had to learn to relax my grip on the bars. I learned that here in the Things to do and not do page. Great introduction to the forum and Spyders.

bigbadbrucie
04-13-2022, 07:31 PM
I can't vote either as no course was offered in Utah in 2015,but I didn't come directly from two wheels to three. I bought a Honda Goldwing trike and rode that for 4 years before I bought the Spyder. I am sure that helped in transition. Still different and I still had to learn to relax my grip on the bars. I learned that here in the Things to do and not do page. Great introduction to the forum and Spyders.
I’m in much the same position, although I did transition directly from 2 wheels to 3. There were no classes available, but the do’s and don’ts as well as all of the members on this site helped me with the transition immensely. Also helping was practice, practice, practice!

blacklightning
04-14-2022, 08:37 AM
I never took the course, and on day 2 of ownership of my new 2014 RT, we did a 475 mile day trip to the NC mountains. I had 8 years of riding 2 wheelers before that. It was a blast. By the end of the day, I felt pretty comfortable.
My wife took the course 3 wheeled course last fall and got her license last December. All of her class riding was on a ryker, but now she has a F3T. We did 10 miles last week, 25 miles on Tuesday and 30 miles on Wednesday. I got to say, she seems like a real pro at it. I followed her about 1/2 the time and led 1/2 the time. My biggest concern for her was following vehicles too closely and not leaving enough reaction space (but she does that with the car also). When we got back last night, she told me to make sure she had gas in it because she was riding out with one of her friends and they were going to practice saturday. Her friend doesn't have her 2022 spyder yet, but she will be riding her husband's (my riding buddy) 2020 RT Limited. I might follow along for a while just to keep an eye on them (if she wants me to). I am very hopeful she gets into this sport as much as I am.

vito1943
04-14-2022, 01:03 PM
Good thread. I also did not vote since I have not taken any class for 3 wheelers in general, or the Can Am vehicles specifically. I was a 2 wheeler for over 35 years when I decided to trade in my Goldwing that I had been riding for the last five years. At first I was a bit leery of high speed turns, wondering if the "nanny" would activate and slow me down, but so far it has not happened. I've been doing big sweepers, where the posted speed is 55, at over 70 with no issues, and no "nanny" interference. I guess it would be fun to take the course if in fact it would educate me as to the limits or capabilities of my RT. The dealer where I bought the Spyder never mentioned training, so any assistance here on how I would find local classes would be appreciated. I live in north central IL.

Eranical
04-16-2022, 06:56 AM
The brp website can guide you to the training programs in your area. That being said, I doubt you will gain much from it. A lot of folks take it to get the endorsement so they can get licensed to ride. I took the course just to test ride the concept on my dime without any feelings of obligation to a dealer. Like I mentioned earlier it convinced me to get the bigger Spyder rather than the Ryker that I had been considering.

Good thread. I also did not vote since I have not taken any class for 3 wheelers in general, or the Can Am vehicles specifically. I was a 2 wheeler for over 35 years when I decided to trade in my Goldwing that I had been riding for the last five years. At first I was a bit leery of high speed turns, wondering if the "nanny" would activate and slow me down, but so far it has not happened. I've been doing big sweepers, where the posted speed is 55, at over 70 with no issues, and no "nanny" interference. I guess it would be fun to take the course if in fact it would educate me as to the limits or capabilities of my RT. The dealer where I bought the Spyder never mentioned training, so any assistance here on how I would find local classes would be appreciated. I live in north central IL.

Flamewinger
04-16-2022, 10:00 AM
YES we need trike classes! NO the BRP class was not worth it as all they did was run the same maneuvers as a 2 wheeler class.

Been riding 2 wheelers for 36 years and switch to Spyders because the Goldwingswere getting taller and heavier. (I’m 5’ tall and not as young as I was).

No I don’t think the BRP class was geared for 3 wheelers. Depending on what state you live in the class can be extensive 2 day class or (in my case) less than 5 hours. California doesn’t require a MC or 3 wheeled license, you just need a drivers license. So the class was not good enough. When the Spyder class came I got into it and it was a joke! All we did was mimic what 2 wheelers do. Not good enough.

I have taken ARC classes every 2-3 years and have found that they remind me of habits I need to get better at. Because I’m a GWRRA member I took their TRC class. Much better 2 day talk/discussion and all day range which was more atune to what the trikes are capable of. BRP needs to get together with GWRRA and come up with a better class for trikes.

Yes, we need to take a class like this every 2-3 years to remind ourselves of the best way to ride as well as learning anything new. Bad habits can be dangerous and we need to be reminded to ride right. The more we ride the better we get and the funner it becomes.

PaladinLV
04-16-2022, 10:43 AM
N/A - was no course when I purchased.
Gave them my UltraGlide and rode off on the RT.

AJ

wmjweber45
04-16-2022, 11:32 AM
Best 50 bucks I ever spent.

Isopedella
04-16-2022, 01:44 PM
While I have not done the Can Am course I have completed Ride Forever Courses here in NZ. There are graduated courses starting with complete newbie to riders who have ridden for years, tailored to suit. I accompanied my son work his way through to full, experienced levels. I do the refresher course every few years.

Ya know. Cant think of 1 day spent on these courses where I didn't pick something new up, or reminded of something I was getting a bit lazy with.

Cant think of 1 rider who has said at the end of the day debrief, well that was a waste of time I learnt nothing.
FWIW. I got all my licenses in 1979, been continuously riding various bikes throughout my life without times where I didn't have a bike and admit I dont know it all.
This is what im talking about.
https://www.rideforever.co.nz/

LimaNiner
04-18-2022, 01:24 AM
I am a 20 year 2 wheeler. I completed the on-bike portion of the course Easter Sunday, after participating in the on-line portion the previous Sunday. I have absolutely no hesitation highly recommending the BRP sponsored course. I learned several new things and many of the comments on the forum were validated.
I have read several posts that state the best thing to do is just get out and practice because you will get better with time. Other posts recommend talking or riding with Spyder owners. While those are undoubtedly true to a point, the best parts of taking the course were riding and learning on a closed circuit and getting tips and answers from BRP/Canada Safety Council certified instructors. That way, there was no stress while riding and I wasn't getting suspect and even dangerous tips from someone who shared bad habits that they learned but didn't know were wrong. There will probably be the added bonus of better insurance rates as well, equal to or exceeding the cost of the course ($199).

obiwanbill
04-18-2022, 06:48 AM
N/A - was no course when I purchased.ave them my UltraGlide and rode off on the RT.

AJ
Saw the Gold SWO Badge on your vest and the officer crest on hood. Nice to see another 1110 on internet! In uniform in 1969, Commissioned in 73, earned my SWO Badge in 1973. Saw action of coast Vietnam including the evac of Saigon, in Med with Amphib Group when Ayahtolla Assholla took over from Shah.

Raven
04-18-2022, 08:02 AM
Started riding motorcycles in the mid sixties.
Can't ride anymore. Have been told it is like riding a snowmobile, my idea of a snowmobile has four wheel drive and a heater.
Never to old to learn something, signed up for a course in June. Let you know how it goes.

cyclelover63
07-06-2022, 10:20 PM
My wife and I are on our 3rd Spyder. I signed up both of us for the class. One, to get her license and two, she wouldn't take it unless I went with her. I am so glad we did. She got her license and the class put me in situations I had never been in before. I recommend it to everyone. The Tennessee class coaches did a tremendous job!

Raven
07-07-2022, 10:11 AM
Started riding motorcycles in the mid sixties.
Can't ride anymore. Have been told it is like riding a snowmobile, my idea of a snowmobile has four wheel drive and a heater.
Never to old to learn something, signed up for a course in June. Let you know how it goes.

Took a two hour course
(see thread: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?148997-Got-to-ride-a-Ryker-last-night )
This was just to learn some things about three wheelers and see if you liked it, not a full training course.
I would say if it is offered in your area to take it before a full training course.
I haven't made up my mind about a full course.
Thinking if I applied motorcycle training to a three wheeler it might work.
When I started riding motorcycles after a long absence, I took the course and later was asked if I would be interested in becoming an Instructor (Must have had low standards LOL)

UtahPete
07-07-2022, 01:01 PM
I didn't take the course, but my wife did and I picked up a few tips from attending with her, but not much. I got most of what I know from this forum. The Spyder is easy to ride once you've learned the controls.

JayBros
07-07-2022, 01:58 PM
Contempt prior to investigation is never a wise idea IMO. If one goes at things with an open mind one will most frequently pick up at least one nugget as I call 'em. That one nugget when dealing with rolling stock just might save your life.

FrogmanDave
07-07-2022, 03:48 PM
Contempt prior to investigation is never a wise idea IMO. If one goes at things with an open mind one will most frequently pick up at least one nugget as I call 'em. That one nugget when dealing with rolling stock just might save your life.

Absolutely well said sir!

dmiles
07-07-2022, 04:27 PM
My biggest takeaway from the course was when we had to repeatedly run over a 2x4. Left wheel, right wheel, both wheels. It wasn't nearly as big a deal as I thought it would be. Now, instead of risking my life to miss something in the road, I'm much more likely to consider running over the item in the best way I can with the time I have to react. Plus, I ended up with a perfect score on the riding test. It also gives us a waiver for the motorcycle endorsement on our drivers license. To have an instructor coach you on your riding is far better than someone from the DMV just grading me, just my opinion.

Pirate
07-07-2022, 06:58 PM
I took the course to help me decide if the “tryke” was for me. Not only did I realize it was fun, the course also made it clear that I wanted a Spyder and not the Ryker I had thought I would get.

same!

EdMat
07-07-2022, 08:48 PM
So much of what you get out of the course boils down to the instructor.

Peter Aawen
07-07-2022, 09:58 PM
So much of what you get out of the course boils down to the instructor.

And YOUR attitude! :lecturef_smilie:

Even the very best of instructors can find it difficult to impart any knowledge or skill to someone who either just doesn't give a rats, or is positive that they know it all already & there ain't nobody gonna tell them otherwise! :banghead:

But at least the good instructors who run into people like those ^^ will get to learn something themselves.... possibly it'll just be how to avoid those sorta students, but you never know! :thumbup:

Frostbyte
07-07-2022, 10:29 PM
I'm like many above...Didn't take the course so I can't vote.
I've been riding 60 years and have previously ridden Servi-cars and owned a Triumph racing side-hack (That was a TRIP). I also taught Motorcycle Safety for 8th AF in the UK and was a NMSF Master Instructor.
Be that as it may, my biggest hang up was un-learning to "Death Grip" the bars and get comfortable with the thumb shifter on my RTL.
My opinion is that if you don't have experience on 3 wheels, the class should be of immense value, and I'm considering taking it if they ever schedule one close to me to see what new things I can learn.