PDA

View Full Version : Is training really needed to ride a Spyder?

vito1943
04-11-2022, 11:26 AM
I really love riding my Spyder RT, and do not regret trading in my Honda Goldwing for the Spyder for one moment. But when asked by a non-rider about getting a Spyder, and wondering about training, I said that while there is a learning curve as with any vehicle, anyone with a driver's license can likely get comfortable very quickly on a Spyder without formal training. I found that after almost 40 years of motorcycling, what took time on the Spyder was unlearning motorcycle habits. I had to stop reaching for the front brake and the clutch lever, stop trying to put my left foot down when stopping, and stop staying in the left third of the lane rather than the middle of the lane. A car driver has to get used to twisting the throttle instead of stepping on an accelerator pedal, and turning handlebars instead of a steering wheel, and that's pretty much it. I think taking any training is a good idea, whether it be trike specific or a basic motorcycle class, but I'm not convinced that its essential. And for those models that have a fully automatic type transmission, even less time is likely needed for a driver to become a rider. Am I wrong?

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-11-2022, 11:33 AM
I really love riding my Spyder RT, and do not regret trading in my Honda Goldwing for the Spyder for one moment. But when asked by a non-rider about getting a Spyder, and wondering about training, I said that while there is a learning curve as with any vehicle, anyone with a driver's license can likely get comfortable very quickly on a Spyder without formal training. I found that after almost 40 years of motorcycling, what took time on the Spyder was unlearning motorcycle habits. I had to stop reaching for the front brake and the clutch lever, stop trying to put my left foot down when stopping, and stop staying in the left third of the lane rather than the middle of the lane. A car driver has to get used to twisting the throttle instead of stepping on an accelerator pedal, and turning handlebars instead of a steering wheel, and that's pretty much it. I think taking any training is a good idea, whether it be trike specific or a basic motorcycle class, but I'm not convinced that its essential. And for those models that have a fully automatic type transmission, even less time is likely needed for a driver to become a rider. Am I wrong?

:agree: .... Every person is going to have a different learning curve .... the folks who have NEVER been on a TWO wheel Mtc. IMHO have a big advantage. They have NOTHING to UNLEARN .... I had 50 + years on two wheels, but the dealer ( a friend ) said just drive it like a CAR, and ( in a safe place ) test the brakes .... I did this and had no difficulty making the transition. .... It took about 1000 + miles before I mastered my Spyder and now can keep up with most Crotch Rockets in the twistie's...... Mike :thumbup:

RayBJ
04-11-2022, 11:41 AM
Like most skills, training comes in formal and informal learning. Formal training can cover many areas that seat-of-the-pants training may miss for some time or never experience. Personally, I have self-taught continuously since 17, been riding for 50+ years. I've read books and watched lots of 'how to' skills by 'experts' to fill in any gaps but nothing teaches better than DOING IT, whether formal or not..

ARtraveler
04-11-2022, 01:17 PM
I have BK beat on this one. It took me about 1500 miles before I was comfortable. Seven Spyders, 12 years, and over 150,000 Spyder miles and I am good. :yes:

Azbronco
04-11-2022, 01:23 PM
If someone has only ever driven a car, I'd recommend they take the Can-Am class. The value of the class isn't in how to drive one or feel comfortable because it's super easy to just twist and go--but the training has people learn and practice emergency maneuvers (braking, swerving, etc). Someone who's never been on two wheels and doesn't properly respect the dangers of being on a Spyder may one day find themselves in trouble. I don't think most people have the discipline to go to parking lots and practice emergency techniques unless they pay someone to force them in a class setting (plus that other person can show you what you're doing right and wrong).

Tonylmiller
04-11-2022, 01:34 PM
I think if a person reads about the vehicle and how to control it, especially in the curves, they can start slow and practice. That is what I did. Seller would not even let me take a test drive. So I low-balled her and she accepted my offer.

I searched out the most curvy roads in the area and rode on them for a week, beginning at slow speeds. To me, everything else is easy, compared to taking curves.

Adventurer
04-11-2022, 01:43 PM
If someone has only ever driven a car, I'd recommend they take the Can-Am class. The value of the class isn't in how to drive one or feel comfortable because it's super easy to just twist and go--but the training has people learn and practice emergency maneuvers (braking, swerving, etc). Someone who's never been on two wheels and doesn't properly respect the dangers of being on a Spyder may one day find themselves in trouble. I don't think most people have the discipline to go to parking lots and practice emergency techniques unless they pay someone to force them in a class setting (plus that other person can show you what you're doing right and wrong).

Absolutely spot on!

FrogmanDave
04-11-2022, 01:58 PM
Absolutely spot on!
Plus 1

Griffin90
04-11-2022, 02:25 PM

I had never driven any motorcycle or anything beyond a car. The training definitely helped in learning the emergency maneuvers. Now I knew about them due to my father and a few coworkers riding 2 wheels since they were kids but I'm glad that I got to practice them at the training. My 2 cents would be training should be required before getting on a Spyder.

I believe that the classes make some people rethink if riding is for them also. In my class I had a guy that zero throttle control and would spin the tire on the Rykers we drove. He couldn't get his grip at the correct position (I had trouble and had to re-adjust a lot). Then his wife could not go above the idle as she was scared out of her mind of the bike. The instructor had us roll down the gentle slope about 25 feet (didn't go above 1 mph) with the bike off and she instantly put her feet down and almost rolled over her own foot.

I think for complete newbies like me training is a good thing.

wmjweber45
04-11-2022, 03:10 PM
Get the BRP sponsored training, if possible. Best 50 bucks I ever spent.

Raven
04-11-2022, 03:17 PM
Training is a good way to find out if you like riding a trike before spending thousands on something you don't like.
I have seen this at motorcycle courses. Someone liked the idea of riding a bike, only to find out they hated it.
Wind, bugs, rain, potholes, car drivers trying to kill them, over gunned on the bike they bought.
You can buy the meanest toy out there, but you can't buy talent.
Training is a good way to learn things you never thought of.

LongIsland
04-11-2022, 03:25 PM

I agree. I had never ridden so in 2010 being 58 yrs. old and catching the motorcycle bug, I took and passed the 2-wheel MSF training course and got my M endorsement. I quickly found I was not comfortable on 2 wheels so searched for an alternative which turned out to be the Spyder RTL SE. I have been riding since 2012 (62,000 miles) and always use techniques from that class that I would not have picked up on my own. In 2016, I took the BRP sponsored class when my sweetheart chickened out and was able to reinforce those techniques.

Adventurer
04-11-2022, 03:39 PM
In the training classes you work on an exercise to get you accustomed to panic/emergency braking and at the slow speeds of the training exercise it will nearly throw you through the windshield. I would hate to think about someone hitting the brake as hard as they can in a real emergency and not know ahead of time about being thrown* forward as forcefully as you will be during an emergency stop. For that alone the training is worth the time and money, IMHO.

*Yes I know your body is actually not decelerating as fast as the bike is vs being thrown forward but it certainly feels like you’re being thrown forward.

Big F
04-11-2022, 04:10 PM
Your comments were right on!
BIG F

Little Blue
04-11-2022, 04:11 PM
:spyder:...Well, Everyone will have to make a BIG Decision.
AS for what You decide to do, that will be Your Choice.

My decision was to take some extra time to Learn how to handle a Spyder. The Can-Am class is a very good program and I enjoyed the training.

I would recommend taking a Class. .....:thumbup:

Peacekeeper6
04-11-2022, 06:34 PM
Depends on the rider.

A total newbie, yes.

An experienced rider, no.

I hopped on a Spyder for the first time and quickly got the hang of it in 5 minutes, only because I’ve been riding motorcycles for a better part of 30 years.

mecsw500
04-11-2022, 06:38 PM
For $99 and a few hours of your time, I don't think the training can be beat. The community college wanted $299 if booked directly through them, same course $99 through Can Am. I have ridden bikes for nearly 50 years, a lot of ingrained habits to unlearn. I went from "I'm going to take this evil handling thing back" to "hey, this can be fun" over the course of that class. I know it made me a better rider in a shorter period of time. I know there is no substitute for experience as a valid approach, but you can get killed before you get that experience accomplished. I think the training reduced those odds.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-12-2022, 12:26 AM
Learning how to handle the Spyder is not the end of it. Much of that can be learned by just doing it, but as others have said, learning emergency maneuvers, etc has to be taught. Also, what you don't learn without instructor led training is what is called No Zone riding and awareness of Object Fixation. Learning about those two aspects of riding my just save your life.

Pirate
04-12-2022, 01:09 AM
I learned alot in the Can Am training which was $49 for me. That, and constant parking lot training for the first couple of months helped as well.

Paddy4810
04-12-2022, 04:35 AM
Kind of hard to go to training when the closest is over 400 miles away.

fredgal
04-12-2022, 04:48 AM
Depends on the rider.

A total newbie, yes.

An experienced rider, no.

I hopped on a Spyder for the first time and quickly got the hang of it in 5 minutes, only because I’ve been riding motorcycles for a better part of 30 years.

I also got an F3L and had no problems at all, but I also rode 2 wheeler's, and did a lot of ATV riding, which my spyder reminds me of. If people have a lot of ATV experience, that helps... My Spyder has a fun factor which my 1500 Vulcan did not have any more for me... Gonna be 70 degrees this afternoon here in Northeast Pa... Gonna get out for the first time...

K80Shooter
04-12-2022, 08:38 AM
Get the BRP sponsored training, if possible. Best 50 bucks I ever spent.

You must have gotten a deal because I paid 99 dollars.

As far as is it needed? That all depends on the individual. Some need it more than others but, I thought it was fun and don't regret spending the 99 dollars. Plus here in Ga you get to skip the driver & written test for the MC license with the certificate that you get upon completion.

JohnRuckus
04-12-2022, 08:44 AM
To each their own. If you have $100 and ~16 hrs, do it. If you only learn/unlearn 1 thing, it is well worth it. Experience is a great teacher unless that experience leads to injury or worse.
BTW, congrats and welcome to the Spyderverse.

Peacekeeper6
04-12-2022, 12:07 PM
Honestly, the only reason I'd take the course is if it was required by the state, or if it'll save me money on insurance.

I just don't believe there's any NEW things I can learn....especially on some dinky parklng lot where you can't get any speed going and practice emergency/evasive maneuvers to its full effect.

In my opinion, of course.

gkamer
04-12-2022, 12:21 PM
i would say depending on the state you live in, training is not only needed but mandatory in order to ride legally. I live in Washington (the state not the swamp). Here you need a three wheeled endorsement on your license in order to ride a three wheeled motorcycle. A two wheeled endorsement will not cover three wheeled motorcycles. The state no longer conducts skill tests for motorcycles, so in order to obtain the two or three wheeled endorsement, you must attend and pass the motorcycle safety/training course. Of course the knowledge you gain from attending these courses is beneficial, but from a strictly legal aspect, you have to take the course.

mecsw500
04-12-2022, 12:31 PM
Honestly, the only reason I'd take the course is if it was required by the state, or if it'll save me money on insurance.

I just don't believe there's any NEW things I can learn....especially on some dinky parklng lot where you can't get any speed going and practice emergency/evasive maneuvers to its full effect.

In my opinion, of course.

I did it just go to get familiar with the controls, lack of front brake, no counter steering, semi auto shifting, no clutch, and no left foot gear shift. It helped me figure out the inherent limits of the machine. Despite being in a parking lot, it was surprisingly challenging and helped me overcome the "death grip" and the "oh my it's going over" feeling. I saved the $99 on my insurance premium so it was a wash. Just 12 or so hours of my time and I made some new friends too. I already had my motorcycle license so I didn't need the course for that - but I admit it was fun and essentially free. If it didn't teach me a lot of new life saving skills, it certainly made me, as a new Spyder rider, get a lot more enjoyment out of my machine in a shorter period of time, so for that it was worth it alone. I would recommend it just for the laughs I had.

beerandchips
04-12-2022, 12:39 PM
Rode my Honda Shadow Phantom to the dealership. Waited about 2 hours to sign the paperwork because they were "busy". The sales guy took me out back where I saw my Spyder for the first time (bought sight unseen). He bluetoothed my phone, showed me the gears, brake, etc. and off I went. Rode an hour and a half home. No problems ever with looking for front brake, foot shifting, etc. The only issue I had was the left/right sway from gripping the handlebars too tight. Took about 300 to 600 miles to kill that issue. These things are easy to ride....and fun.

sn

Peacekeeper6
04-12-2022, 12:51 PM
Rode my Honda Shadow Phantom to the dealership. Waited about 2 hours to sign the paperwork because they were "busy". The sales guy took me out back where I saw my Spyder for the first time (bought sight unseen). He bluetoothed my phone, showed me the gears, brake, etc. and off I went. Rode an hour and a half home. No problems ever with looking for front brake, foot shifting, etc. The only issue I had was the left/right sway from gripping the handlebars too tight. Took about 300 to 600 miles to kill that issue. These things are easy to ride....and fun.

sn

That takes guts to buy something like a Spyder "sight unseen". What if you really hated it ??

Me ?? I tried to test ride one in our Reno dealership. The guy said, "Sure, you can test ride it. But you can't leave the parking lot".

I'm thinking to myself, "Just what kind of bull**** test ride is that ?? I can't even get out of 2nd, for crying out loud"

So I did the next best thing and rented one in Vegas. (Don't think that outfit is there anymore). There, I took a Spyder through its paces: in-town 25-35 mph putts, all the way to 80 mph blasts down an interstate.

It was then and there that we decided that a Spyder will somehow make its way into our garage. And a few months later, a 2018 RT Limited found its way there !!

UtahPete
04-12-2022, 02:31 PM
I think MSF Basic training is good for anyone never having ridden a motorcycle because it teaches awareness more than actual riding skills. Plus, for those states where a motorcycle endorsement is required for a Spyder, a new Ryder still needs to know what's on the written test.

Woodenfish
04-12-2022, 02:54 PM
I think MSF Basic training is good for anyone never having ridden a motorcycle because it teaches awareness more than actual riding skills. Plus, for those states where a motorcycle endorsement is required for a Spyder, a new Ryder still needs to know what's on the written test.

I totally agree with this statement. Illinois Department of Transportation offers motorcycle and three wheel motorcycle training throughout the State for $20. My class was three days, a Thursday evening and eight hours on Saturday and Sunday. We rode Rykers on an enclosed course at a local community college and used one of their classrooms. It was a wonderful event for my wife and I to attend. The instructors were phenomenal and said they teach the same class to motorcyclists at a local Harley Davidson dealer for $250.

The classroom part was eye opening for all who attended whether they were new or experienced riders who never took a safety course. They drive time in the supplied Rykers was fun and a good time to learn about how they operate and handle through a variety of traffic situations. My wife and I attended the class which I must warn you fills up fast and the classroom sizes are small. After going through our program we received a card to bring by to our IDOT DMV license facility. Our written and driving test were all performed at the training event so all we needed were photos. With possession of the motorcycle safety training course we were entitled to a small discount on our insurance. A week after we took our safety class we purchased a new Spyder RT Limited and began driving her upon the roads.

I would highly recommend this program to others. We were told about it at iMotorsports in Villa Park. The class was through Harper College in Palatine. They have multiple training sites in Northern Illinois. If you’re not in this area check at the IDOT website for motorcycle training to find a location throughout the state. It was a good choice for us because we did not own a Spyder at the time nor did we know a owner who did and would allow us to take the test at the DMV using their bike.

Azbronco
04-12-2022, 03:05 PM

I second this. I took the MSF course before I got my first M license and it was great--I used skills learned in that class more than once over the several years I was riding. Anyway, life happens and I found myself without a motorcycle for a period of 3 or 4 years, so I took the class again when I was able to buy another bike--just to refresh my skills (I still had the M endorsement on my license, so I didn't need it for that). During the class, one of the guys who'd never ridden asked me why I was there since it seemed I already knew how to ride. I just told him there's no substitute to practicing those skills because when you ride a motorcycle long enough, you're going to need to know how to avoid a collision. I never took the class again when I switched from 2 to 3 wheels, but I still rely on evasive maneuvers I learned from MSF. Plus there's the insurance discount.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-12-2022, 03:14 PM

Several years ago I took the state sponsored basic training course even though I'd ridden my Goldwing for a few years already. A telling testimony about it's worth was the fact, according to the instructor, there was a cadre of senior riders who took the course every year simply for the refresh value.

beerandchips
04-12-2022, 03:56 PM
That takes guts to buy something like a Spyder "sight unseen". What if you really hated it ??

Me ?? I tried to test ride one in our Reno dealership. The guy said, "Sure, you can test ride it. But you can't leave the parking lot".

I'm thinking to myself, "Just what kind of bull**** test ride is that ?? I can't even get out of 2nd, for crying out loud"

So I did the next best thing and rented one in Vegas. (Don't think that outfit is there anymore). There, I took a Spyder through its paces: in-town 25-35 mph putts, all the way to 80 mph blasts down an interstate.

It was then and there that we decided that a Spyder will somehow make its way into our garage. And a few months later, a 2018 RT Limited found its way there !!

I did research before I purchased but I had faith on the experience. I just wish I had known about the fitment issues. I'm furious over that still. But, that is another issue:bdh:

Northofthesix
04-12-2022, 04:21 PM
I did research before I purchased but I had faith on the experience. I just wish I had known about the fitment issues. I'm furious over that still. But, that is another issue:bdh:

I bought mine sight unseen as well. After a couple decades riding 2 wheels, at 65 I was finding the weight of my Yamaha Venture to be a bit much in parking lot situations. I had guys I ride with who have Spyders but I had not ridden one; had not even sat on a RT. Found a fabulous deal on a demo 2018 RTL about 900 miles/ 1500km away, so a hopped on a plane, picked up the bike and rode it home over 2 days. First 100 km I thought "What the hell did I just do?"... by the time I got home I was totally hooked. As others have said, unlearn counter-steering and the death grip on the bars and just enjoy!

Longtimer
04-12-2022, 04:46 PM
I rode two wheels for 50 years; after riding 25 years I took a two wheel course; it suprised me what I learnt and was doing wrong. It made me a better rider, they pointed out just little things I was doing wrong. Having someone watch while you are on course so they can see things sure helps. Then when I got my Spyder I took a class and learnt things that Spyders like and do not like. Enjoyed the class, met some new friends. I feel you can always learn something new that can help you ride better. Just like on this Forum, there's a lot of info to maybe help you and your Spyder ryding better.

BillyBobBevis
04-19-2022, 07:14 PM
I took the Can Am rider course in Memphis recently and really enjoyed it. I originally took it to see if I would like Can Am's, but also because of my lack of meaningful experience with 2 wheel motorcycles, I felt it was necessary. I think the most valuable thing it gave me are the exercises to practice on for when I am able to purchase a new Spyder. I know nothing is as good as real live riding on roads for experience, but the practice exercises will help me in getting comfortable with riding a Spyder.

Mazo EMS2
04-19-2022, 07:45 PM
Training...probably not..practice, absolutely, especially transitioning from 2 wheels. My wife never rode 2 wheels, but she hopped on a Ryker and just "got it"....Now she's on a '21 RT and doing awesome.

Little Blue
04-19-2022, 09:12 PM
:shemademe_smilie:....You can do what want for training.
I have always been a Safety First type of person.
The Life you Save might be Yours.
Only have One Life to Live ....:thumbup:

GrampaEJ
04-19-2022, 09:25 PM
Kind of hard to go to training when the closest is over 400 miles away.

150 miles isn't much better. I'd be willing to take a training class. But, that's too far away.

Adventurer
04-19-2022, 09:30 PM
:shemademe_smilie:....You can do what want for training.
I have always been a Safety First type of person.
The Life you Save might be Yours.
Only have One Life to Live ....:thumbup:
I’ve always been a 195687 kinda guy :roflblack: not really I’m a big safety proponent

Adventurer
04-19-2022, 09:38 PM
150 miles isn't much better. I'd be willing to take a training class. But, that's too far away.

I hear you, although I drove 175 miles to attend the Three Wheel Basics class sponsored by BRP. I don’t regret one mile of the trip nor the cost of the motel. Plus I’ve been riding 2 wheels for many years and have been thru 3 safety classes on two wheels and have learned something useful at each and every class, including the Spyder class. I’d urge you and any one else to attend the class regardless of your prior experience, we’re never too old to learn until we’re dead

Snoking1127
04-19-2022, 09:58 PM
Experience riding a snowmobile is the closest thing to driving a Spyder. I last rode a motorcycle in like 1984(Kawasaki 650 SR), however rode snowmobiles for years up until around 2006. In end of Oct 2020 I bought the used 2018 Spyder and took the $99 course here in Arizona in early November that year. Washington State would not except the Arizona course for my drivers license endorsement, so I just took the course again in Washington when I got home last spring. I do not regret either course.

The thing about the Spyder is DO NOT try to steer it on the open road, just guide it! That is to correct to the left, push forward lightly on the right handle bar and the other way around to correct the right. I run cruise control most of the time on the open roads and just rest my hands on the handle bars. Twisties, shift your weight to the inside on a corner like the snowmobile and look to where you want the trike to go.

mecsw500
04-19-2022, 10:13 PM
I work on the basis that you might get to the same level as taking a course, but the course accelerates getting to that level of comfort and proficiency. This reduces the chance something bad might happen during the extended period of gaining the experience. Here in Utah you can ride a Spyder or Riker with a full motorcycle license, but I think as we now have a tiered scheme for motorcycles you might have to have the second tier bike license to ride an engine over 600 cc, but I’m not sure about that detail. If you however do not have a motorcycle endorsement you have to get a 3 wheeler endorsement, easily done through the training. However going this route does not cover you for motorcycle. Now 3 wheelers need a license depending of what kind of trike you have. 3 wheel vehicles with side by side seating and a steering wheel class as auto cycles so you only need car license. So Vanderhalls and Polaris vehicles are effectively classed as cars for licensing purposes in Utah. Complicated, but this has all happened piecemeal and nobody thought this out from a clean sheet of paper as these various generations of vehicles became type approved. I’ve no idea if there is a state testing ground that exists for trikes? Even for motorcycles it has a test for tier two motorcycles that is very difficult to pass unless you use a big bike with limited steering lock. I took my bike examiner had to tell me where to lose the minimum ate the Triumph Thunderbird Sport could not physically turn the tightest corners. It was just stupid. The course was set up for a moped or very small bike. I’ve no idea how they cope, if at all with trikes. I asked these questions of the licensing bureau and the person had absolutely no idea of how it all worked. How did the license tie ring apply to trikes, they had no clue and they said that would probably make up what they thought was sensible. Heaven help us in how that would all work in places like California or New Jersey?

cravenfun
04-20-2022, 10:36 AM
Total newbies take the course. It will instill proper habits.
My wife got her M/C license at 50 by taking the MSF course. She only 2-wheel M/C'ed for a few years and took a break until she turned 65 and said I need a Spyder. Since we snowmobile the Spyder was an easy transition for her, ''it's like a sled on asphalt'' is her comparison.
For me when I take her Spyder for a spin it's the no hand brakes mental flag that has to be stuck in my old head since I'm still on my Road King.
The HD is getting heavier by the year now, no gold in those golden years for sure.
Hopefully the market will get better next year either new or used so I can transition over to a F3 for myself.
Nothing like being ''in the wind''.

Ex-Rocket
04-20-2022, 02:31 PM
I had no trouble switching from 2 wheels to 3 wheels. Traded my 2 wheeler in and drove off with a 2012 RTS. Only two things took a little getting used to was, reaching for the clutch handle and secondly not putting my feet down when stopped. As far as driving & cornering with it I caught on pretty fast.

EdMat
04-20-2022, 04:32 PM
I think the value of the course is way more than 50% defined by the instructor or maybe lack thereof.

pegasus1300
04-21-2022, 01:33 AM
I was quite surprised to find that the owner's manual of my 2012 RTL contained a training course layout with several different exercises diagramed. I went to Walmart and bought a couple of packages of big red plastic drink cups to use as cones. I have found that many churches have large parking lots and they are mostly empty Monday thru Saturday, so I set up in one of those and had lots of fun with the practice. That was what helped me make the transition from 47 years on 2 wheels. As for a class, especially if you have not been a rider before, you could learn attitudes and awareness that you might not pick up except thru hard experience. It will also point out bad habits that have crept in over the years and remind you of things you should be doing but may have been neglecting. I've had my M/C license since they started issuing them in Utah in 1970. The course they used back then was the parking lot of the driver's license office on 5th West in Provo, very small. The only part that really unnerved me was when the examiner had me go to the far end and accelerate as hard as I could then stop on a line. And he stood behind the line. I made the stop. Oh I was on a Norton that could accelerate pretty hard.

Quickdraw
04-21-2022, 06:20 AM
My wife was thinking about taking the course but it was a 2 day event and where it was being offered was a bit too far for her to go. I took her out to a parking lot a few times to get used to the trike but it didn't take long before she was riding highway speeds. The course may have helped but me taking her out and her having riding time, I think, was much more advantageous to her.

Snoking1127
04-22-2022, 08:42 PM
Funny thing happened Wednesday. I offered to haul a friends golf cart from the East Valley up to Show Low where they summer out of the valley heat. We stopped at the bottom of the Salt River Canyon, and use the restroom and stretched our legs. There were two HD guys in the parking lot and I thought about saying I had a three wheeler as I was getting to old for a two wheeler. As I came out of the restroom I watched one of the guys drop his Harley!!!! Guest my thoughts jinxed him!

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-23-2022, 12:06 AM
I offered to haul a fried golf cart from .......
A fried golf cart??? :hun:

I know you meant "friend's golf cart" but some typos are just too good to ignore!! :roflblack:

remus
04-23-2022, 08:03 AM
I offered to haul a fried golf cart from .......

A fried golf cart??? :hun:

I know you meant "friend's golf cart" but some typos are just too good to ignore!! :roflblack:

Does it taste like chicken? :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

obiwanbill
04-23-2022, 08:15 AM

Great idea if available reasonably. Closest class is one state away, bout 6 hours one way

KSCRZR
04-27-2022, 09:43 AM
I guess your past experiences can count for a lot but I also think there is always something you can learn. If a class came nearby I would probably take it, also give me a chance to ride something different. Had been riding 2 wheels for about four years when we bought my wife's Spyder down in Austin, TX and drove it back up to Kansas. That was a long day and made me appreciate cruise on a bike. Sure it was different then my Concours 14 but it wasn't completely foreign. Biggest issue I had, for whatever reason but I assume it was because I could be lazy with my hand grips, I bumped the kill switch a couple times.

Interesting hearing about different license requirements in various states, here in Kansas there is just a motorcycle endorsement which covers the Spyder, but, you can't take the test on 3 wheels, has to be on 2.

Hound
04-27-2022, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't mind taking the course from BRP but not with 4 1/2 hour drive to participate. :read: