PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up Garmin GPS to '15 RT-Ltd - not charging?! Ideas?

Desert Spyder
04-10-2022, 05:02 PM
Trying to hook up the Garmin GPS that came with my 15 RT-Ltd. After many years I put a new battery in the unit. Did a feeble battery charge using my USB from the laptop. Don't know if this is sufficient but the display did come on slightly. After charging overnight I put it on the bike but no display. I don't know if theres a fuse blown nor where the fuse is. Any ideas people? This is not an aftermarket GPS. It was sold with the bike new. TY

Mazo EMS2
04-10-2022, 05:07 PM
Sounds to me like it partially charged and then shut down with your computer overnight. Then it stayed on and killed the battery again

Desert Spyder
04-10-2022, 05:12 PM
well the display was still on this morning so I doubt it shut down. I dont even know if the Garmin mount on the handle bar is any good

Bfromla
04-10-2022, 05:14 PM
Hook back to computer, believe Can see battery charging icon in a corner on display.

Copperman
04-10-2022, 09:48 PM
You might have to replace the battery in the GPS. Take the back off and you'll see it.

Desert Spyder
04-12-2022, 08:56 PM
I just put in a new battery prior

Tonylmiller
04-12-2022, 09:10 PM
I just put in a new battery prior

It is possible that the new battery is faulty. Do you have another one that you can try?

FrogmanDave
04-12-2022, 10:31 PM
Laptop usb's charge at .5 amp. Put it on something with a little more oomph and see if that helps.

Bfromla
04-12-2022, 10:36 PM
Also can try cleaning the flat contacts on battery & both sides of unit/mount using a pencil eraser. Do not have be force full not scraping just rubbing:thumbup: yes new batteries can go bad especially if donot get a full charge to begin with. May have to usb charge extended time while contact Garmin for test you can to.

well the display was still on this morning so I doubt it shut down. I dont even know if the Garmin mount on the handle bar is any good
Can test turn GPS completely off manually. Place in dock & start spyder, GPS should boot up automatically.

DriftersWay
04-13-2022, 06:35 AM
Does the GPS stay on when you disconnect from the computer?
If it does then I would say you have a power problem at the mount
on the bike. If you know of someone the has the same unit, try
your GPS on their bike. Good luck.

Rizz
04-13-2022, 06:57 AM
On my Zumo 550 it requires a special data blocker USB cable to charge it when connected to a PC
. If you hook a standard cable to it and a PC or charger it will try to connect with USB data but not charge the unit. It's called a data blocker cable. Here is the one i purchased and it works perfectly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234034301866

Bfromla
04-22-2022, 03:36 AM
Anything new?