PDA

View Full Version : Help! Seat won't open via key?! Any hints on how to get it open?

cjray3203
04-10-2022, 11:46 AM
Can anyone tell me how to get the seat to open/come off if it won't pop open using the key? I assume the cable is broken or needing adjustment & have now read how to put a backup "cable" on in case this happens, but too late for that fix....

Thanks!

2dogs
04-10-2022, 12:04 PM
Push down on the far front right portion of the seat as you turn the key. Then if it releases put a small dab of grease on the latch for lubrication.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-10-2022, 12:39 PM
Push down on the far front right portion of the seat as you turn the key. Then if it releases put a small dab of grease on the latch for lubrication.

If that doesn't work there are pics ( use advanced search ) that will show you how to use a screwdriver under the front flap to get it open ..... Then you can put a small piece of cardboard in the LATCH mechanism to open it slightly, then forget the key and just pull up under the flap to get it open .... that's how mine works .... I don't use the Ignition switch to do anything but start & stop the engine ..... Mike :thumbup:

Isopedella
04-10-2022, 12:51 PM
If that doesn't work there are pics ( use advanced search ) that will show you how to use a screwdriver under the front flap to get it open ..... Then you can put a small piece of cardboard in the LATCH mechanism to open it slightly, then forget the key and just pull up under the flap to get it open .... that's how mine works .... I don't use the Ignition switch to do anything but start & stop the engine ..... Mike :thumbup:

So as a newbie im interested in this. I did a search and got 16 pages.

Are you able to help further than do a search, like some key words, date, poster or any other help other than do a search?

larryd
04-10-2022, 05:33 PM
So as a newbie im interested in this. I did a search and got 16 pages.

Are you able to help further than do a search, like some key words, date, poster or any other help other than do a search?

Try this utube video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUDlTER1jc

Isopedella
04-10-2022, 05:52 PM

Thank you for that. :thumbup:
Very good video indeed.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-10-2022, 06:08 PM

:agree: ... this will work .... however it's a lot more complicated than necessary .... you don't NEED to sleeve it, to make it functional ..... any stiff but flexible wire will do the same thing and it will be a lot less expensive ..... JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

Isopedella
04-10-2022, 07:54 PM
Can anyone tell me how to get the seat to open/come off if it won't pop open using the key? I assume the cable is broken or needing adjustment & have now read how to put a backup "cable" on in case this happens, but too late for that fix....

Thanks!

If the pushing and pulling the seat gently wont work then that video larryd put shows the catch, how it moves to release it.

Thinking after you pull some panels off you may be able to trip with a bit of wire.

My new to me Spyder was reluctant to open the seat and the front trunk. The gas cap was also not really co-operating as it should as well. I lubed them and now they seem to work well.