PDA

View Full Version : My First Oil Change on the 2020 RTL

bikerbillone
04-10-2022, 06:45 AM
Has gone sideways, I've not seen any posts on the subject, so here goes. The 3K mile change was done by the dealer 'cause I know BRP is famous for way over tightening, or use the blue lock tight and those torx drain plugs are famous for stripping out the top grabs, especially the T40 on the right side near the foot brake spring. So to do the best job I could to set the driver, I tapped the T40 driver snug into Torx grabs to get the best bite possible. That did not work and I felt the 'grabs' begin to give a little, I gave it up 'cause I knew that was not gonna end well. l may give it another try 'cause looks like an EZ Out job anyway, so whatever I do is gonna be an EZ Out. I did mention that I purposely let the dealer tech do the first change to break these plugs loose, but that didn't work for whatever reason. Not sure how I'll go from here, but when I get these crazy BRP Torx Oil drain plugs out, I have the Lamonster hex plugs ready to go in. Rant over.

K80Shooter
04-10-2022, 07:32 AM
The main problem is that (at least on my 2020 RTL) is that the plug on the right side next to the brake rod is a 6mm hex head. The T40 is on the left side.

If you have not stripped it try a 6mm. If that wont work you'll need to go to the auto parts store and get a ease out that fits into the hole, tap it in and then it will come out. Make sure not to get one that's too small, you want it to just barely start into the plug then tap it in.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-10-2022, 11:45 AM
The main problem is that (at least on my 2020 RTL) is that the plug on the right side next to the brake rod is a 6mm hex head. The T40 is on the left side.

If you have not stripped it try a 6mm. If that wont work you'll need to go to the auto parts store and get a ease out that fits into the hole, tap it in and then it will come out. Make sure not to get one that's too small, you want it to just barely start into the plug then tap it in.

:agree: .... so #1- get a small mirror and a flashlight and look at your PLUGS and figure out what tools you need for the TWO different plugs ..... Then SET your rachet to remove before you use it ..... After the T-40 or Hex is in the plug hit it sharply with a hammer ....this will usually BREAK the OIL VARNISH seal on the plug ... PS the T-40 plug is slightly angled to the rear so align your Rachet extension in that direction .... And :agree: the T-40 needs to be replaced with a HEX head bolt ..... and NEVER use a Torgue wrench to tighten .... just tap the handle to snug .... if it leaks tap a little more ..... JHMO ......good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

bikerbillone
04-10-2022, 01:29 PM
OMG, it is a 6mm bit metric socket. This is freaking embarrassing, and yet the responses have saved saved the day, maybe. Don't ask me where I got the torx T40. I do so apologize for my original ramble. I will have the proper tool Tuesday and give it a second try. Thanks to all, and yes, when I get done with this, Lamonster to the rescue with the hex oil drain plugs.

trikermutha
04-10-2022, 02:26 PM
If you have a Home Depot near buy they have the Husky brand tools you could use..

bikerbillone
04-10-2022, 02:28 PM
Right on Mutha, that's plan B if plan A doesn't work.

Peacekeeper6
04-10-2022, 03:11 PM
1) Use the CORRECT tool for the job,

2) Use a hand impact driver. It is a tool that when hit with a hammer, loosens the stuck bolt or screw or drain plug. Works great !!

bikerbillone
04-10-2022, 03:56 PM
1) Oh yeah, I know I screwed up, see post #4.

2) Thanks for the impact driver suggestion.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-10-2022, 05:17 PM
Don't ask me where I got the torx T40.
You had it in your hand because you need it for the other oil plug.

bikerbillone
04-10-2022, 05:27 PM
:thumbup: