PDA

View Full Version : FTC goes after bloggers -----

Firefly
10-06-2009, 09:24 AM
While not Spyder-related---- and I don't really see this as political (has nothing to do with our President or either party)---- I see this as something to be concerned about.

Hope this is okay to post---- if not please remove......

FTC: Bloggers, testimonials need better disclosure

FTC: Bloggers must disclose freebies or payments; testimonials to reflect typical results

Basically the FTC is now going to regulate what we write online :yikes:.

I understand their intent to protect the public from people giving false reviews of things like diet pills--- but this is leading down a path that could hinder someone from giving a review (good or bad) or a product online.

Just something to keep an eye on....... (First they came for SpongBob-:D).

The Federal Trade Commission on Monday took steps to make product information and online reviews more accurate for consumers, regulating blogging for the first time and mandating that testimonials reflect typical results.

The FTC will require that writers on the Web clearly disclose any freebies or payments they get from companies for reviewing their products. The commission also said advertisers featuring testimonials that claim dramatic results cannot hide behind disclaimers that the results aren't typical.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/FTC-Bloggers-must-disclose-apf-468964868.html?x=0&.v=2 (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/FTC-Bloggers-must-disclose-apf-468964868.html?x=0&.v=2)

Latemarch
10-06-2009, 09:40 AM
They're only saying that you have to let people know that you have a stake in the game.

If you write a review of a windshield it might be necessary to let people know that you own the company that makes the windshield :shocked: Or that they gave you a free windshield or that you work for the company......that's all.

It's not really a big deal.

And on a totally unrelated note......looking at all the mods that you've done......just how many mods can you do before it's no longer a Spyder?:roflblack: