PDA

View Full Version : Do you want a CB RADIO on your SPYDER ?

Motorcycledave
04-09-2022, 01:56 PM
I have what you need to put a CB on your Spyder
I have many customers right here on Spyder Lovers who have thIS CB
on theirs, you can get everything for around $350 AND it's BLUETOOTH to
your helmet...
Call me 209-887-3283 9:00AM to 8:00PM Pacific time daily
Here is all you need: go to your favorite truck stop such as Flying J, Loves or other and buy the CB there MIDLAND #75-822 HAND HELD
I have seen them as low as $88.95 they are a full 5 watt 40 chan. and work great, AND should anything go wrong
with it just find a truck stop like the one you got it from and in most cases they will exchange it..... way better than
getting one on line from Ebay or ???and with the items pictured here, YOUR ON THE AIR !

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-09-2022, 06:21 PM
When my nephew and I went to Homecoming in 2017 he used this setup on his 2010 RT. The only problem we encountered was ignition, or whatever, static on his radio when it was plugged into an adapter in the trunk. It drowned out his voice. We had to make the trip with him using only batteries in the Midland.

UtahPete
04-09-2022, 06:38 PM
When my nephew and I went to Homecoming in 2017 he used this setup on his 2010 RT. The only problem we encountered was ignition, or whatever, static on his radio when it was plugged into an adapter in the trunk. It drowned out his voice. We had to make the trip with him using only batteries in the Midland.

Does a long stick antenna, properly tuned, improve clarity or distance of transmission / reception?

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-09-2022, 10:11 PM
Does a long stick antenna, properly tuned, improve clarity or distance of transmission / reception?

You mean for the handheld? If that's what you're asking about I don't know but it probably would. We used the factory antenna on the the handheld which is about 6" long, and it was inside the trunk. Best I can remember we had a range of about a half mile, maybe longer. The handheld is only 4 watts.

PaladinLV
04-10-2022, 01:24 AM
That is correct.
The Midland is a Great Portable CB, but once connected to an MC battery, all bets are off and not just Spyders. I've tried all types of isolation but nothing seems to help enough
I use the large "empty case" filled with rechargeable 2800 mHa NiMH batteries and when kept to communicating strictly about road conditions & traffic rather than chit chat, they easily stay charged for the day. For backup, I carry the small empty with standard batteries.
Just started using 3300 mHA rechargeable Lithiums. But to soon to know for sure how those will work out, but look promising.

AJ

PaladinLV
04-10-2022, 01:27 AM
ALL CBs are only 4 watts, unless you get inside and peak tune the finals. 4 watts is the "legal" limit for AM xmission with 12 W on side band xmission.

AJ

You mean for the handheld? If that's what you're asking about I don't know but it probably would. We used the factory antenna on the the handheld which is about 6" long, and it was inside the trunk. Best I can remember we had a range of about a half mile, maybe longer. The handheld is only 4 watts.

Motorcycledave
04-11-2022, 10:06 AM

You can buy a longer antenna to replace the short one that comes with the CB, and it will give longer range

PaladinLV
04-11-2022, 10:47 AM
You can buy a longer antenna to replace the short one that comes with the CB, and it will give longer range

Not an accurate answer.
Length "can" increase distance, but not in handheld antennas.
They will give you a larger transmission and reception area, but not range.
The reason is shorter antennas are typically loaded. This loading is required to make the antenna look like a quarter wavelength.
Loading =s power loss and POWER is the main key to distance (atmospheric conditions, terrain, and your ground plan play a role).
So if the "longer" antenna wire when uncoiled is = to 1/4 wave it will Theoretically have better performance than the shorter UNLESS the shorter uncoiled wire is ALSO = 1/4 wave.
Ever look at a Trucker Big Stick? Big Heavy gauge wire wrapped around a long and thick fiberglass pole. Now look at the wire wrapped around the "rubber duckie". Yes longer can be better under the correct circumstances, which an MC can not provide.

So what's a quarter wave antenna? Since CB is in the 11 meter band, a quarter wave would be equal to 1/4 of 11M!
Anything smaller requires loading.

Now let's talk REAL WORLD rather than theory.
I have both and have used both the longer and shorter antennas for the Midland.
One might think the longer antenna would be better for overall performance. However it's length and makes it extremely bendy while riding. If mounted on Midland this is putting extreme pressures on the radio which is not good and now the antenna not being vertical reduces it's efficiency. The shorter antenna (that comes with Midland) stays pretty much vertical.
As to performance, with 1000s of miles I have found the original antenna to work BETTER than the longer given MY applications and terrain.

AJ

RayBJ
04-11-2022, 11:13 AM
I made lots of side $$ in the 70s CB craze to support my Kart racing habit. Added upper 'channels', power mics, and clipped AGC circuits for a local shop. Power is worthless if your voice can't be heard. Just creates more dead air. Haven't seen anyone using a CB in years since Waze and other app mappers.

RE: Ground planes. Good luck finding enough metal on the bike to help with range!

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-11-2022, 12:22 PM
RE: Ground planes. Good luck finding enough metal on the bike to help with range!
That's for sure. That's why I changed out to a Firestik No Ground Plane antenna. Not sure how much it helped but it did. I had other problems related to the helmet cord that complicated fixing the issues I had, but all has been working good for 3 years now.

UtahPete
04-11-2022, 02:56 PM
Not an accurate answer.
The reason is shorter antennas are typically loaded. This loading is required to make the antenna look like a quarter wavelength.
Loading =s power loss and POWER is the main key to distance (atmospheric conditions, terrain, and your ground plan play a role).
So if the "longer" antenna wire when uncoiled is = to 1/4 wave it will Theoretically have better performance than the shorter UNLESS the shorter uncoiled wire is ALSO = 1/4 wave.
Ever look at a Trucker Big Stick? Big Heavy gauge wire wrapped around a long and thick fiberglass pole. Now look at the wire wrapped around the "rubber duckie". Yes longer can be better under the correct circumstances, which an MC can not provide.

So what's a quarter wave antenna? Since CB is in the 11 meter band, a quarter wave would be equal to 1/4 of 11M!

One might think the longer antenna would be better for overall performance. However it's length and makes it extremely bendy while riding. If mounted on Midland this is putting extreme pressures on the radio which is not good and now the antenna not being vertical reduces it's efficiency. The shorter antenna (that comes with Midland) stays pretty much vertical.
As to performance, with 1000s of miles I have found the original antenna to work BETTER than the longer given MY applications and terrain.

AJ

Is the larger, fixed mount CB, along with a tuned 1/4 wave antenna (like the OEM CB kit from Can-Am) going to provide any benefit over the hand-held at 8x the cost?

EdMat
04-11-2022, 03:40 PM
Just put an old 102" whip on it and be done. :roflblack:

Motorcycledave
04-13-2022, 03:55 PM
Not an accurate answer.

AJ

I have found over the years with 2-6-10-11 meters getting the antenna away from the body work helps plenty with range.
a little longer antenna usually puts the load higher and seems to improve distance. Without using a linear amplifier, that would be
kinda crazy to use with a 4 watt hand held, antennas matched using a good SWR helps plenty. All that being said I recommend staying with the antenna the units come with.

Motorcycledave
04-13-2022, 04:01 PM
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

PaladinLV
04-13-2022, 05:21 PM
Is the larger, fixed mount CB, along with a tuned 1/4 wave antenna (like the OEM CB kit from Can-Am) going to provide any benefit over the hand-held at 8x the cost?

IMHO - No
AJ

PaladinLV
04-13-2022, 05:28 PM

One thing I completely forgot about and never tried.
That external 12V plug also includes a connector for an external connector if I remember.
The interference "COULD" be that end being open and not connected.
He could try picking up a dummy load and connecting it to the open cable end, but that also sap 3dB from the rubber duckie or another antenna connected to the radio.

AJ

PaladinLV
04-13-2022, 05:33 PM

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

My Dad was one of the "original" CBers back in the 50s.
He had one of those connected to the bumper with bike chains and a big coil spring at the back of his 59 Rambler! :roflblack:
His "mobile was built from scratch and channels were changed by switching out crystals. They didn't even have 40 channels back then and TWO were reserved for taxis.

AJ

PaladinLV
04-13-2022, 05:42 PM
I have found over the years with 2-6-10-11 meters getting the antenna away from the body work helps plenty with range. a little longer antenna usually puts the load higher and seems to improve distance. Without using a linear amplifier, that would be kinda crazy to use with a 4 watt hand held, antennas matched using a good SWR helps plenty. All that being said I recommend staying with the antenna the units come with.

Moving it away gives a better/uniform ground plane and is the most important factor in gaining real distance - on the flats. Yes,top load antennas "would" be better. But as you travel 70 mph down the highway, were would the antenna and that load be? Certainly not up in the air! :lecturef_smilie:

EdMat
04-13-2022, 08:33 PM
My Dad was one of the "original" CBers back in the 50s.
He had one of those connected to the bumper with bike chains and a big coil spring at the back of his 59 Rambler! :roflblack:
His "mobile was built from scratch and channels were changed by switching out crystals. They didn't even have 40 channels back then and TWO were reserved for taxis.

AJ
Wouldn't happen to have been one of the Heathkits would it? Or I think the other popular kit or parts came from Lafayette.

OldAge
04-14-2022, 09:45 AM
Oh,Oh. Here's another member showing his age. I used to love the old Lafayette catalogs. They always had some goodie I thought I needed. ;)

Peacekeeper6
04-14-2022, 10:00 AM
Nope.

PaladinLV
04-14-2022, 11:24 AM
LOL
He made his share of Heathkits! Our first stereo, a HAM Radio 6M rig, and more, but the CB was literally from scratch using a design from a magazine called Popular Electronics.
My Dad was an Electronics Engineer for Raytheon and helped develop the Hawk Missile System.

AJ

Wouldn't happen to have been one of the Heathkits would it? Or I think the other popular kit or parts came from Lafayette.

PaladinLV
04-14-2022, 11:26 AM
Oh,Oh. Here's another member showing his age. I used to love the old Lafayette catalogs. They always had some goodie I thought I needed. ;)

I loved going in to their Boston Store as a kid. It was located near the old Boston Braves Stadium.

AJ