PDA

View Full Version : Can't shift from N while rolling?

GRHorst
04-08-2022, 08:29 PM
An interesting thing today, or I may have have learned something I should have known?

While waiting for a train at a RR crossing. I put it in neutral because I wanted to stand up to stretch my legs and arms but didn't want to accidently hit the throttle. The road was sloped downward and when the train had passed, I sat down and the Spyder started rolling forward. I didn't think anything of it. But when I pressed the gear lever to put it into gear, it would NOT shift into 1st! I had to stop, then shift into gear.

Perhaps this is normal????? I don't know, but it was embarrassing to have to stop traffic to get it back in gear!

(Oh and I also added the LED light string under the frunk today. I'm getting the more-lights-fever too.)

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-08-2022, 08:50 PM
This is normal , a safety feature. Unless the brake pedal is depressed the SEtrans won't go into any gear ..... Mike :thumbup:

Copperman
04-08-2022, 08:51 PM
Next time leave it in gear and set the parking brake.

Piratezz
04-09-2022, 01:07 AM
Then it would give a rather akward "BEEP", when hitting the throttle

Mikey
04-09-2022, 07:46 AM
Hopefully he would take the brake off before he tried to go forward, then the beeping would not be a issue!!

EdMat
04-09-2022, 10:02 AM
This is normal , a safety feature. Unless the brake pedal is depressed the SEtrans won't go into any gear ..... Mike :thumbup:

Actually Mike if you test it out:

Neutral to first gear. Brake pedal must be slightly depressed. Bike can have a slight forward or backward motion. Not sure if lockout works electronically with brake light or hydraulicly from pressure.

Neutral to reverse. Bike can have a slight forward or backward motion. No need to press the brake pedal.

Not sure why BRP did this but it seems backwards to me. Maybe because going into reverse already requires 2 separate actions they didn't feel the need to add a brake lockout.

EdMat
04-09-2022, 05:43 PM
Forgot to finish, guess life gets in the way sometimes.

While you can shift from first to neutral without hitting the brake, you can't go from reverse to neutral, hitting the brake or any other way. When you try it shifts to first then you must shift again to get to neutral.

LongIsland
04-10-2022, 08:51 AM
Why go through a process of setting the parking brake or putting bike in neutral then having to shift to move? Just stand up with foot on brake and hands off throttle.

ottawa-rider
04-10-2022, 09:43 AM
I have shifted from neutral to 1st a couple of time while still rolling, one time after I inadvertently hit the kill switch. I had to LIGHTLY press the brake pedal while I hit the starter button and then shifted it back to 1st gear, all while rolling up to a toll booth.

GRHorst
04-10-2022, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the comments. Apparently the key is pressing the brake pedal a bit and not necessarily coming to a full stop.