PDA

View Full Version : Filing Federal Tax return question, again....

wyliec
04-05-2022, 03:30 PM
I just want to know if I'll get into trouble by doing the following.

I paper filed my Fed Tax and mailed at the post office on 2/11/2022. As of today I've called the phone numbers provided to the public and also went to the IRS website to find out if my return was at least received. According to the IRS website and also the automated phone service, when checking on your refund, you'll get one of three answers; it was received, or it is being processed, or your check has been sent. The answer I have received for the past week when checking on my refund is: We cannot provide any information on this refund. So, my question is, since I don't know if my tax return was received, can I get into any trouble by filing again by the April 18 cutoff date before it is considered a late filing? Also, whether you go thru the IRS website or automated phone system, it states, your wait time for processing can be up to 6 weeks. In my case, I say it is over 6 weeks.

Pooch
04-05-2022, 03:57 PM
Did you send your envelope "Certified Return Receipt Requested"?
If you did you should have gotten your green return receipt that proves where/who/when it was delivered to.
If you do not have the green receipt back yet you can still track it through the tracking number on the certified form you filled out.
The post office would have put the tracking number on the paid receipt they gave you when you paid for the certified service.
I don't have an answer to whether you can file it again by April 18. If you file it again and send it through the mail be SURE to send it "Certified Return Receipt Requested."

wyliec
04-05-2022, 04:03 PM
Did you send your envelope "Certified Return Receipt Requested"?
If you did you should have gotten your green return receipt that proves where/who/when it was delivered to.
If you do not have the green receipt back yet you can still track it through the tracking number on the certified form you filled out.
The post office would have put the tracking number on the paid receipt they gave you when you paid for the certified service.
I don't have an answer to whether you can file it again by April 18. If you file it again and send it through the mail be SURE to send it "Certified Return Receipt Requested."

I did not file /mail it certified. But, I will this time with a little note that states this is my 2nd filing, the first was mailed at the post office on 2/11/2022.

Thank you. I very much appreciate your answer.

ARtraveler
04-05-2022, 06:37 PM
I did not file /mail it certified. But, I will this time with a little note that states this is my 2nd filing, the first was mailed at the post office on 2/11/2022.

I got the same message when I was trying to get my first stimulus check. Remember that one? I ended up having to wait until September before it arrived. The 2nd stimulus check came right through with no delay.

I think your idea to let them know this is a second filing is a good idea. That should cover you if they pay attention. When they input your data, it should pop up that it has already been filed.

JayBros
04-05-2022, 08:01 PM
I've been out of the AARP Tax-Aide program for a number of years but you must remember, the IRS is many thousands of returns behind and paper returns just add to the backlog. We frequently had clients that for one reason or another had to submit amended returns after the original was filed and we were instructed to tell clients NOT to send the amended return until after the April due date and amended returns go to a different address than the originals. Paper returns must be entered into the IRS's antiquated computer system. From your post you are expecting a refund and the answer you received that the IRS can't provide any information on "this refund" probably means your return is in a pile X feet high somewhere. You unknowingly shot yourself in the foot by not sending the return by certified mail but that's water under the bridge. Were I in your boots I would not send a second copy of the return, even with a note that it is a second submission. Why? First, the instructions for Form 1040 and 1040SR say NOT to send a copy of your return unless the IRS asks you to do so (pg 83). Second, the note is not going to get the second return processed any faster than the original; it's just going to wind up in a pile in some IRS office. If your return is correct and you are due a refund the IRS will add interest to the refund when it is finally processed. The office you were supposed to send your return to is one of the largest in the country, Kansas City, MO, so you can expect the pile your return is in to be one of the bigger ones.

ARNIE R
04-05-2022, 08:17 PM
Never know what is going to happen with the IRS. Last year, my father filed his by mail, and since he owed them a small amount, included his payment check with it.

Around September, he received a letter from the IRS stating that they cashed his check and added the amount to his credit, except, they had absolutely no record of having a copy of his paper return. He was asked to file it again - even though his check was attached to the original return. Where it actually ended up was never discovered.

UtahPete
04-05-2022, 09:22 PM
I took the advice of many different sources and e-filed. Got acknowledgment within a few hours and my refund in 3 weeks.

After being gutted by a previous administration, and then burdened with processing stimulus checks, the IRS is not able to manually process returns in a timely manner. They are over a year behind. Your second filing is not going to help matters and could hinder them further.

IMHO of course.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-05-2022, 09:46 PM
I just want to know if I'll get into trouble by doing the following.

I paper filed my Fed Tax and mailed at the post office on 2/11/2022. As of today I've called the phone numbers provided to the public and also went to the IRS website to find out if my return was at least received. According to the IRS website and also the automated phone service, when checking on your refund, you'll get one of three answers; it was received, or it is being processed, or your check has been sent. The answer I have received for the past week when checking on my refund is: We cannot provide any information on this refund. So, my question is, since I don't know if my tax return was received, can I get into any trouble by filing again by the April 18 cutoff date before it is considered a late filing? Also, whether you go thru the IRS website or automated phone system, it states, your wait time for processing can be up to 6 weeks. In my case, I say it is over 6 weeks.

I'm send many, many :pray::pray: .... Last year I sent a very time sensitive set of forms ( registered certified delivery )..... Post Office lost it .... cost me a bunch of money .... Good Luck >>> Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
04-06-2022, 12:55 AM
I'm send many, many :pray::pray: .... Last year I sent a very time sensitive set of forms ( registered certified delivery )..... Post Office lost it .... cost me a bunch of money .... Good Luck >>> Mike :thumbup:

And then there's the USPS, another once-dependable service...

trikermutha
04-06-2022, 01:56 AM
Why not file online much faster and they approve it faster. This year I got my refund within two weeks. Even the state refund was the fastest ever.

Saluda
04-06-2022, 06:02 AM
I've sent "certified, return receipt requested" a couple of times and got nothing back. P.O. trace was useless, they did give me my money back. Good luck.

LongIsland
04-06-2022, 08:36 AM
Do Not resend your tax return. Whether you add a note or not it will cause problems and major delays. My son did that and is waiting 3 years for a refund.

redrazor
04-06-2022, 02:11 PM
nojoke That's why I prefer to "owe them" instead of them "owing me"! I'If I do owe them money it isn't deducted from my checking account until "Tax Day" (4/18 this year)
This year I only "owe" them about $1,500. No problem. :cheers:

ARtraveler
04-06-2022, 02:43 PM
Another who e-filed. We used Turbo Tax. Received confirmation in a couple days. The refunds are already in the account and spent. We like the new piano.

wyliec
04-06-2022, 04:17 PM
Why not file online much faster and they approve it faster. This year I got my refund within two weeks. Even the state refund was the fastest ever.

Next year.

wyliec
04-06-2022, 04:19 PM
Do Not resend your tax return. Whether you add a note or not it will cause problems and major delays. My son did that and is waiting 3 years for a refund.

Has he been able to actually talk to someone. If he has, what excuse have they given for the delay?

wyliec
04-06-2022, 04:21 PM
nojoke That's why I prefer to "owe them" instead of them "owing me"! I'If I do owe them money it isn't deducted from my checking account until "Tax Day" (4/18 this year)

That is why today I changed the amount to deduct from one of my retirements. Next year it should be a wash.

wyliec
04-06-2022, 04:23 PM
Another who e-filed. We used Turbo Tax. Received confirmation in a couple days. The refunds are already in the account and spent. We like the new piano.

Sounds like you know how to relax. You do play, right?

gkamer
04-06-2022, 06:08 PM
I always efile my taxes. For me at least they are pretty simple. I don't do any itemized deductions or stuff like that. For me its basically this is what I made and this is how much tax I paid.

ARtraveler
04-06-2022, 06:27 PM
Sounds like you know how to relax. You do play, right?

Yes, I do play the piano. Not the classical stuff though. :bowdown:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-06-2022, 09:02 PM
And then there's the USPS, another once-dependable service...

Pete, :hun: USPS is the " Post Office " :roflblack:...... Mike :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-07-2022, 12:38 AM

Don't send a second one unless it's an amended return to correct some mistake. You'll confuse the system. As has been said the IRS is seriously understaffed and all paper returns have to be hand converted into electronic returns by an IRS employee. The last I heard the wait is up to or more than a year. I would maybe take the chance and refile it electronically. That will get it into the system quickly. Then when they input the paper one the system should reject it as being a duplicate.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-07-2022, 12:47 AM
Has he been able to actually talk to someone. If he has, what excuse have they given for the delay?

If I remember the news story correctly you have about a 2% probability of actually reaching a human being. To get an idea of how large the 8-ball is that you are behind look at this article: https://theconversation.com/taxpayers-should-expect-serious-delays-from-the-irs-this-year-a-tax-scholar-offers-tips-but-says-only-congress-can-fix-the-underlying-problem-176642. About 17 million 2021 returns have yet to be processed, and yours is behind all them.

Little Blue
04-07-2022, 03:13 AM
:coffee:...So moving forward with the TAXES.
Option 1
E-filing is the best way. Use a quality software.
There are several good ones out here.

Option 2
Use a Tax Service Company and let them do it for you.
They will prepare your Taxes and E-file for you.

Tip: I try to 'owe' on my Taxes for several reasons.
Say $1000.00 or Less.
The Government doesn't pay interest on your credit.
So put your money in your savings account for paying the Taxes.

My Great Grandfather told me this years ago.

Good Luck on Your Mission. ....:thumbup:

wyliec
04-07-2022, 08:16 AM
If I remember the news story correctly you have about a 2% probability of actually reaching a human being. To get an idea of how large the 8-ball is that you are behind look at this article: https://theconversation.com/taxpayers-should-expect-serious-delays-from-the-irs-this-year-a-tax-scholar-offers-tips-but-says-only-congress-can-fix-the-underlying-problem-176642. About 17 million 2021 returns have yet to be processed, and yours is behind all them.

Something that bothers me about this article is where it says to use the electronic form provided by the IRS. I did use it, but it can't be electronically filed, so there is no advantage. Yes, I made a mistake by not using an electronic file service. If I knew they actually received it, I would feel much better. But, for next year, problem solved; I reduced the federal tax I'm having taken out of my retirements, and today will reduce it further.

wyliec
04-07-2022, 08:39 AM
:coffee:...So moving forward with the TAXES.
Option 1
E-filing is the best way. Use a quality software.
There are several good ones out here.

Option 2
Use a Tax Service Company and let them do it for you.
They will prepare your Taxes and E-file for you.

Tip: I try to 'owe' on my Taxes for several reasons.
Say $1000.00 or Less.
The Government doesn't pay interest on your credit.
So put your money in your savings account for paying the Taxes.

My Great Grandfather told me this years ago.

Good Luck on Your Mission. ....:thumbup:

For the second day in a row, I reduced my Federal withholding on two of my pensions. I feel a little better now. I still have two more places to reduce my Federal withholding; I'll let those go for now.

Little Blue
04-22-2022, 03:30 AM
For the second day in a row, I reduced my Federal withholding on two of my pensions. I feel a little better now. I still have two more places to reduce my Federal withholding; I'll let those go for now.

Give yourself a Gold Star for making the better choice.
Now Sit back and enjoy the Good Life. ....:thumbup:

Joel The Biker
04-22-2022, 05:16 AM
I did the same exact thing. No answer after mailing my return in february, so I filed again online. I am playing dumb and assuming the USPS lost my return. I didnt want to get penalized for filing late. They owe ME money anyway. I hope they knock on my door. I am going to ask them, "Did you bring my money?".

Gitoa
04-22-2022, 03:09 PM
I did the same exact thing. No answer after mailing my return in february, so I filed again online. I am playing dumb and assuming the USPS lost my return. I didnt want to get penalized for filing late. They owe ME money anyway. I hope they knock on my door. I am going to ask them, "Did you bring my money?".

FYI. There is no penalty for filing late when you have an overpayament.

Also if you have a refund you have up to three years to claim it.

The original poster will be waiting quite a while to hear from the IRS. Primary mistake made was not mailing it certified return receipt as several other posters replied.

Sarge707
04-22-2022, 08:17 PM

I sent them a check regular mail with my return on April 4th and the check was cashed on Apr 10th- But my return won't be processed for months I was told by the IRS.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-23-2022, 01:50 PM
FYI. There is no penalty for filing late when you have an overpayament.

Also if you have a refund you have up to three years to claim it.

The original poster will be waiting quite a while to hear from the IRS. Primary mistake made was not mailing it certified return receipt as several other posters replied.

" mailing it - certified return receipt " :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ... I did just that last year and they LOST IT :banghead: .... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd they wouldn't give me my Extra money that it cost to use this so-called service ..... good luck .... Mike :thumbup: