PDA

View Full Version : $$$ and Cents

michaels cycle
10-04-2009, 04:28 PM
In your opinion what's cheaper.......

Buying the new RT with all bells and whistles standard, or buying the RS and adding only the features you like??

docdoru
10-04-2009, 04:34 PM

Buying the new RT with all bells and whistles standard, or buying the RS and adding only the features you like??

IMO, RT.

Director
10-04-2009, 05:17 PM

I guess it depends on how many features you want to add to the RS. If you put on everything that the RT has, it would probably be cheaper just to buy the RT, but if all you want is Givi bags, for example, then buying the RS and adding the bags would be more cost-effective.

Bruce

NancysToy
10-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Before I pre-ordered my RT-S I ran a spreadsheet with my wife's 2008 Spyder, a new RS set up for touring, a base RT with only the select options, and the standard RT-S. Without other incentives, the RT-S was certainly the most expensive. A base RT and a modified RS were very close to each other with the options I selected. I ended up going with the RT-S for a couple of reasons. First, I got a deal on a Premiere Edition RT-S which brought the price close to others. Second, only the RT-S offered the electronically adjustable suspension, which I really wanted. If I had to choose between the other two, I would probably have chosen the RT for the comfort, and the better passenger accomodations. A solo rider would have different considerations. Only you can know your wants and needs. Lay out the two beside each other, add up the numbers, evaluate the differences, and go from there. Keep in mind that you can get an even better deal on an existing 2009 RS, so that is likely to be cheaper than either of the 2010 models, if it fits your needs and desires.

wolfshead1
10-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Great question,I'm debating this myself.I have seen and ridden both,plus I like the HD Triglide.At 63 I can ride hard as ever but my balance and strength are not what they were.I do not want my Ultra on top of me and especially do not want to drop my woman.

Here's my answer for you.The RS is about $9000 cheaper to buy but it needs $3000+ in upgrades to make it a tourer.The resale on the RS seems to be a little soft.The RTs need nothing,they are fully equipped,larger better saddle and adequate on the power.With all its features the RTS will hold its value better than the RS IMHO.As I said I have ridden both the RT handles and rides like any Goldwing or Ultra.The RS is a rough and tumble middleweight with a lot of spirit but as someone said it is like "riding a barrel".

The only other choice I have would be a trike-kit($35000) on a Harley or Honda or the Harley Triglide as I spoke of earlier.The Triglide can come home with me for about $35000,they now make a smaller version but for the money difference I'm not considering it.

If you want stereo,cruise,suspension,comfortable touring and don't mind waiting the RT should be your choice.If it is too much moola and your just a wind in your face rider that can buy accessories and install them, save some cash and get the RS.

If balance is an issue or body strength your prolly going to look at the same three items also.

C'mon forum members, what are your solutions to this question?

ride safe and ride often,
wolfshead1

NancysToy
10-04-2009, 06:07 PM
I did not include the trike conversions or sidecars in my spreadsheet. I had discarded them as choices a while back. First, both steer like semi tractors out of the Forties. My shoulders and arms don't need the aggravation. Second, I find no added features that would make a good reason to choose one over a Spyder for greatly added cost. If I pay more, I want something to show for my money. BTW, I think $3,000 is a little light on the add-ons if you compare apples to apples. A comm system or a passenger backrest will greatly add to the cost. We have closer to $4,000-$5,000 in extras on our 2008 Spyder without a backrest, highway bars, or topcase. Writing down the actual numbers, or making a spreadsheet, is the only way to compare fairly.

tatt2r
10-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Price or no price two completely differnt bikes I sat on lamonts demo for the cost if u want to tour u couldn't make the rs even close it's an awesome bike not that I'm trading mine soon but the rt is bigger sits different and is just more comfortable

Big Arm
10-04-2009, 06:08 PM
:agree:

Lamonster
10-05-2009, 08:39 AM

You may be able to add some bells and whistles to make your RS better for the long haul but you're never going to make it a RT. After riding the RT for the last three weeks and riding the RS now the strong points of the RT really jump out at me now and I have my RS setup about as good as it gets.

I will say the RS is more "me" than the RT. I wish I could take the front of the RT and mate it with the back of my RS. That would be the perfect Spyder for me. :doorag:

SpyderGirl
10-05-2009, 12:24 PM
You may be able to add some bells and whistles to make your RS better for the long haul but you're never going to make it a RT. After riding the RT for the last three weeks and riding the RS now the strong points of the RT really jump out at me now and I have my RS setup about as good as it gets.

I will say the RS is more "me" than the RT. I wish I could take the front of the RT and mate it with the back of my RS. That would be the perfect Spyder for me. :doorag:

I agree.

IMO, the RT is impratical for the everyday commuter, it makes more sense to just have a RS and just add a few creature comforts for that every once in a while touring ride. If you plan on touring more than a few times a year, every year, or you have the money to have several different bikes / Spyders, then the RT is for you... if not, I suggest a RS with some added comforts such as seat upgrade, backrest, windshield, and saddlebags.... and maybe risers and highway pegs... and maybe a hitch and cheap cargo trailer...

3wheeldemon
10-05-2009, 12:50 PM
...I will say the RS is more "me" than the RT. I wish I could take the front of the RT and mate it with the back of my RS. That would be the perfect Spyder for me. :doorag:

:agree:My exact feelings… maybe in one or two years...

3WD

tim hilton
10-01-2011, 05:55 PM
getting a viper red rts 2012 would you recommend getting the extened warranty?:clap::yes:

docdoru
10-01-2011, 05:58 PM
getting a viper red rts 2012 would you recommend getting the extened warranty?:clap::yes:
Yes nojoke

ARtraveler
10-01-2011, 10:19 PM
RS vs. RT: Each is a machine different from the other. The RS is more sport bike and the RT is more touring bike.

I like touring bikes--so the RTS I ride is a personal choice.

When :spyder2: first came out in 2008--there was no RT version--just the GS. I decked mine out with over $6K of farkles making my investment over $23K. I wanted a tourer--and it looked the part. I put over 22,500 miles on it and traded it in for one of the first RTS. For me, the RT was so much a different kind of ride compared to the GS.

I lost a lot of money on the trade--because farkles are worth pretty much zilch.

I am very happy with the RTS and it has 21,000 miles on it as of today. Have not bought an updated 2011, or the upcoming 2012. Not enough changes for me, and different paint colors just do not do it.

I really do recommend test driving both flavors and seeing what you like best--that is the bottom line.

GloryRyders
10-02-2011, 07:53 AM
:agree:
IMHO you really can't add enough stuff to make an RS into a RT.

:agree: also.............we had a 2009 RS SE5 that Cowtown had set up as a "Sport Touring Edition" with losts a added features. Even with us adding more mods, after we got the 2011 RT Ltd. their was no comparesion. No matter what you do, you can turn a RS into an RT. In my humblre opinion.:D

Bob Denman
10-02-2011, 09:20 AM
...Can't add much here... other than another vote for the obvious fact that no matter what you change/add or modify on the RS, it'll never be an RT... :thumbup:
(NOT that the RS is a bad choice though...)

jgwoods
10-02-2011, 09:51 AM
I agree with the point made above about trade value of accessories- zilch. I had an RS, have an RT and while I got good money for the RS in a trade they didn't give me a dime for the backrest, rack, or touring windshield I had on it. They probably wouldn't have given me anything for hard bags either but that's a guess. I didn't have them.

That being said, buying an RT makes more sense come trade in time than does buying an RS and trying to accessorize it into something like the RT. You spend a lot of money on the RS you won't get back.

Other than that I really like my RT-S better then my 2009 RS. It suits me better. I think the handling is fine on both models and while the RT seems to be slower it has enough giddyup for me even two up.

NancysToy
10-02-2011, 04:18 PM
:oldpost:

ARtraveler
10-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Yep--they got me this time! :2thumbs: --but 8 people added updated information.

Looks like we even got the Doc.