PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake adjuster won't adjust the brake - anyone got a solution?

remus
03-21-2022, 08:05 PM
I ride a 2011 rss. I replaced the rear brake on saturday due to the previous owner riding it with the parking brake set. The pads were almost to the metal backing. Now I can't adjust the parking brake. the splined shaft the shop manual says to turn only turns about 1 full turn and the parking brake does not engage. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Thanks in advance

davev1pa
03-27-2022, 04:43 PM
I'm assuming you have check that the cable is in the front pulley? And you can hear the the parking brake motor?

remus
03-30-2022, 08:02 AM
There is no parking brake motor it is manual. the adjustment for the parking brake only turns about 1 turn. Yes it is on the pully and I adjusted the cable adjustment as far as it would go.

pegasus1300
03-30-2022, 05:54 PM
Then either the splined lever on the shaft needs to be moved or the cable has stretched as far as it will go and you will need to replace it. I can't think of anything else. Are your brakes working alright otherwise?

Peter Aawen
03-30-2022, 06:44 PM
I ride a 2011 rss. I replaced the rear brake on saturday due to the previous owner riding it with the parking brake set. The pads were almost to the metal backing. Now I can't adjust the parking brake. the splined shaft the shop manual says to turn only turns about 1 full turn and the parking brake does not engage. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Thanks in advance

Since the park brake won't engage after you've turned it only 1 full turn, are you sure you're turning that splined shaft the right way?? :dontknow:

It's been a while, but I vaguely recall turning the actuating lever anti-clockwise to open the caliper out in order to replace the pads; and turning it clockwise to close it in to adjust up the park brake.... but my forgettory sometimes works better'n my memory these days! :rolleyes:

4Brad76
04-10-2023, 09:17 PM
I am in the same boat, I just replaced my rear pads and I can't get my park brake adjusted. I just bought it and it didn't work when I bought it either. It's like the actuator isn't turning enough. I can turn it by hand further than the cable and it will lock the rear wheel, so I don't know what I'm missing

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-11-2023, 08:48 AM

Suggest you go to www.canammanuals.com and get a service manual. Then you know you'll get the real answer.