PDA

View Full Version : Givi and BRP bag tips....

WackyDan
10-04-2009, 11:21 AM
So I discovered what riding in heavy rain for extended periods on back roads can do to your V35 side cases.... If you have them.

The V35's have somewhat of a design flaw, if minor. The locks are sitting pretty right on top of the case, inviting the flow of water, and other contaminates like grit from the road to enter with gravity. Would have been nice to have some sort of weather cap or something for those.

At some point after slogging through that storm on the way to Gatlinburg, I noticed the locks on my V35's were difficult to turn with both my main key and the spare key I carried. I borrowed some lube, and that helped a little. I also noticed the mechanism that couples the bags to the rails was also not cooperating and the little "paws" that grab and lock onto the rails were sticking in odd positions. It was also difficult to get them off the Spyder once on...

So once home, I turned the V35s on their sides and flushed out the locks with some Liquid Wrench lube and penetrating oil... The locks had mostly started working right thanks to the lube I used in Gatlinburg, but this made them work like new again.

I then use some Garage door lubricant on the mechanism and releases for the bags themselves. This lube is plastic friendly as I did not want any blemishes or long term damage from use.

http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=5

Did the trick as they now release better than when new....

I did the same for my V46 top case just in case.

Next road trip, I'm either going to bring tape to cover those locks or figure something else out... Not a whole lot you can do for the actual mechanism for the rails, though I think prepping them with a little lube before a long trip would probably help.

Just my 2 cents and what the remedy was. I talked to a lot of you that had the V35's in Gatlinburg, and anybody that rode through that weather was reporting the same issue.

Firefly
10-04-2009, 11:51 AM
I had similar problems-- but not really while in the Smokies ---- but from when my bags sat for a long time. Instead of tape - maybe coat them with some petroleum jelly before a trip to keep water out?

Ideally some kind of rubber snap-lid for them would work great.

bjt
10-05-2009, 06:14 AM
When I had my Givi bags, I had to occasionally lube all the latching mechanisms and the locks because of dust and dirt getting in there and causing them to work poorly, just like you had stated.

vlvtelvs
10-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Ewww. Good to know.
I need storage space for longer trips, but am hesitant on the bags.

jabba11
10-07-2009, 08:34 PM
duck tape.?

Director
10-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Ewww. Good to know.

Don't hesitate. The bags are great, and these are very minor issues. I rode through the same weather conditions, and I didn't have any problem with mine. I do lubricate the locks on a fairly regular basis, though. :thumbup:

Bruce

Spyderjuice
10-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I noticed that Givi bags are V35 and the BRP Givi bags are R35. They look the same, but are they different? I like the BRP racks better than Industry 7 or the Givi racks.

If you buy the Givi bags from NMN which already have the color panels - they are several hundred dollars cheaper, but will they work on the BRP racks? Anybody know? :chat:

Juice

Director
10-07-2009, 09:18 PM
I noticed that Givi bags are V35 and the BRP Givi bags are R35. They look the same, but are they different? I like the BRP racks better than Industry 7 or the Givi racks.

If you buy the Givi bags from NMN which already have the color panels - they are several hundred dollars cheaper, but will they work on the BRP racks? Anybody know? :chat:

Juice

Same luggage, different badges. They should be interchangeable.

Bruce

Pogo
10-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I had a similar problem with the attachment mechanism. It was a real struggle to release the bags from the racks.

I disassembled the catches and saw that the lock uses a ramp to release two latches. The ramp and its slides take a lot of force to actuate if they aren't lubricated.

I used a silicone polish as a lubricant because I knew it was safe on plastics, and the release now works perfectly. I plan on reapplying the polish once in a while if the locks become stiff again.

Cheers;

Pogo.

bone crusher
10-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Why not drill a tiny hole that water will drain out of...this will help the situation and not destroy your cases...

So I discovered what riding in heavy rain for extended periods on back roads can do to your V35 side cases.... If you have them.

The V35's have somewhat of a design flaw, if minor. The locks are sitting pretty right on top of the case, inviting the flow of water, and other contaminates like grit from the road to enter with gravity. Would have been nice to have some sort of weather cap or something for those.

At some point after slogging through that storm on the way to Gatlinburg, I noticed the locks on my V35's were difficult to turn with both my main key and the spare key I carried. I borrowed some lube, and that helped a little. I also noticed the mechanism that couples the bags to the rails was also not cooperating and the little "paws" that grab and lock onto the rails were sticking in odd positions. It was also difficult to get them off the Spyder once on...

So once home, I turned the V35s on their sides and flushed out the locks with some Liquid Wrench lube and penetrating oil... The locks had mostly started working right thanks to the lube I used in Gatlinburg, but this made them work like new again.

I then use some Garage door lubricant on the mechanism and releases for the bags themselves. This lube is plastic friendly as I did not want any blemishes or long term damage from use.

http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=5

Did the trick as they now release better than when new....

I did the same for my V46 top case just in case.

Next road trip, I'm either going to bring tape to cover those locks or figure something else out... Not a whole lot you can do for the actual mechanism for the rails, though I think prepping them with a little lube before a long trip would probably help.

Just my 2 cents and what the remedy was. I talked to a lot of you that had the V35's in Gatlinburg, and anybody that rode through that weather was reporting the same issue.

wolfshead1
10-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Not trying to thread bust but does anyone know the correct brackets to use?I want the V-41 side bags with the E-52 top case.

thanks

NancysToy
10-08-2009, 08:08 AM

Juice
You could use any Givi V35 bags, but you cannot buy the BRP racks alone, without the bags.

Not trying to thread bust but does anyone know the correct brackets to use?I want the V-41 side bags with the E-52 top case.

thanks
The Givi V35 bags take the PLX racks (Givi, Industries 7, or BRP). The straight back bags like the E41 take the PL racks, available for the Spyder only from Industries 7. I7 also has topcase racks optionally available for either of their side racks. Givi sells a separate SR770 topcase rack if you have the standard Spyder tailpiece. BRP sells no topcase rack, but you could probably use the SR770, use a Kewlmetal luggage rack and topcase adapter, or use the BRP sport rack and adapt the cover plate to mount the topcase, as some here have done.

Firefly
10-08-2009, 09:16 AM

Juice

They will work--- but I don't think you can buy JUST the BRP racks.

The whole package can be had for around $800----- which is pretty fair.

The BRP rack setup is far superior to the IND7 or GIVI setup in my opinion.

WackyDan
10-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Ewww. Good to know.

Don't be. They are quality bags. I'm not sure anyone can make a rack mount bag where you didn't have to do some maintenance on the mechanism. That part of it doesn't bother me at all.

Yes, I wish they had a weather cap for the actual lock, but that is a minor observation.

Bottom line, if I had known this before my Gatlinburg run, I could have proactively lubed the mechanisms and the lock, and probably would have prevented it from being an issue at all.

Director
10-08-2009, 10:39 AM
The BRP rack setup is far superior to the IND7 or GIVI setup in my opinion.

...you also want to put on a top box, in which case the PLX setup from Industries 7 is better.
The BRP setup is cleaner, no question, but I never remove the cases unless I am washing the Spyder anyway. :dontknow:

Cheers,

Bruce

Arachnid
10-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the tips -- Got Lube!
I just got my bags today. They look really good. I was going to wait till I received my Corbin Smugglers trunk and seat and install all at once. How ever, it looks like it may be a while before they get here. May put the bags on soon.
I opted for the BRP saddle bags rather than Corbins as I like the removability of them and saved a grand too. Cant wait to get this project done! (But I guess I'll have to.)
Will post pictures when I get it all together.

Mike :D