PDA

View Full Version : Tallest Windshield ?

fleet
10-04-2009, 08:31 AM
What is the overall height of the tallest windshield made without going totally custom ?
Who makes it ? Approx.$$ ? If I can't find one tall enough, who is the best custom group ? Thanks ......

Donzo
10-04-2009, 10:18 AM
31 and a half inches is the highest I have seen - you can go for one of the adjustable shields from F1 windshields and adjust from 26 - 31 1/2". I like the adjustable shields more than the fixed - it is nice to be able to have an unobstructed view while tooling around on backroads - and then raise the shield up for highway use.
Be forewarned......everyone has a different idea of what the perfect shield is :D

Firefly
10-04-2009, 11:14 AM
What is the overall height of the tallest windshield made without going totally custom ?
Who makes it ? Approx.$$ ? If I can't find one tall enough, who is the best custom group ? Thanks ......

How tall are you? Do you have handlebar risers?

I personally think the CHAD setup is about the best on the market - but I'm only 5'8".

Some are now getting the Madstad bracket and putting various shields on it. While it seems like a good idea - adjusting them is a PITA.

I wouldn't touch an F1 with even a cheap set of toenail trimmers----:roflblack:

CaptRalph
10-04-2009, 11:42 AM

F1 made a 34 incher, dark (not black), one piece windshield for me, which I'm happy with. I'm 5'11", and have 7" handlebars from Kewl Metal.

NancysToy
10-04-2009, 11:48 AM
There is a lot more to an effective windshield than the height. The angle, distance from the rider, distance from the cowl, vent openings, and shape are all factors which change the function. Throw in people of different sizes, proportions, and shapes; different helmets; and varying average speeds and you have a real tough time. Before you choose a windshield based on height alone, consider these things. I personally like the CHAD due to it being adjustable for both height and angle, and also because being offset from the cowl seems to help the air flow and reduce turbulence. I'm sure the Robobrackets would offer similar advantages. Just my opinion, of course.

Some Guy
10-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I have the Calsci XL and installed Robobrackets (from Madstad) before the Gatlinburg trip. While the brackets are a PITA to adjust, once you get them where you want them, they are awesome. There is a huge amount of adjustability. :D

Donzo
10-04-2009, 02:03 PM
How tall are you? Do you have handlebar risers?

I personally think the CHAD setup is about the best on the market - but I'm only 5'8".

Some are now getting the Madstad bracket and putting various shields on it. While it seems like a good idea - adjusting them is a PITA.

I wouldn't touch an F1 with even a cheap set of toenail trimmers----:roflblack:

As I mentioned in my first post - everyone has a different idea of what the perfect shield is. It seems like when we talk about F1/Marcel products the polorization could not be greater......
But, I can discuss my experience : I have had one of the adjustable shields for over 10,000 miles and it has been great IMO and it still looks brand new. I have a XL Calsci sitting in my shop in favor of the F1 adjustable - this is a very subjective decision, but don't let the folks that trash a product turn you away from checking it out.
Lots of products to pick from........thankfully! :ohyea:

wolfshead1
10-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Not an owner but have owned several of the Madstat products.If I was shopping my money would go to the Mad. bracket with the Mad. 22" screen.I may need the height or I can trim it.The bracket will quiet the cockpit and no vacuum meaning no odors or buffeting.

NancysToy
10-04-2009, 03:02 PM
BTW, the Cee Bailey's windshield is quite tall, but it has not had good reviews, protection-wise.

mrb
10-04-2009, 04:07 PM
There is a lot more to an effective windshield than the height. The angle, distance from the rider, distance from the cowl, vent openings, and shape are all factors which change the function. Throw in people of different sizes, proportions, and shapes; different helmets; and varying average speeds and you have a real tough time. Before you choose a windshield based on height alone, consider these things. I personally like the CHAD due to it being adjustable for both height and angle, and also because being offset from the cowl seems to help the air flow and reduce turbulence. I'm sure the Robobrackets would offer similar advantages. Just my opinion, of course.

I agree. Height is not the only factor. I am 6ft and was using CHAD and I thought that was pretty good. I have now fitted the Madstad system with a much smaller and neater screen and the results for me is so much better. The airflow under the screen and the complete adjustability help a small screen outperform a huge one (and it looks so much better IMHO)

fleet
10-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Measured my windshield - 27". Has an open triangular hole towards the bottom. Need a good one thats 3-4" taller. I'm 6'3 / 60" chest. Have a Corbin seat, Air Hawk inflatable seat ( minimally inflated ) and 4" risers. I get head blasted over 55 mph and it's a lot better when slump down 3-4" but not a comfortable cruising posture. So what do I need ?

BillGargan
10-04-2009, 06:04 PM
As I mentioned in my first post - everyone has a different idea of what the perfect shield is. It seems like when we talk about F1/Marcel products the polorization could not be greater......
But, I can discuss my experience : I have had one of the adjustable shields for over 10,000 miles and it has been great IMO and it still looks brand new. I have a XL Calsci sitting in my shop in favor of the F1 adjustable - this is a very subjective decision, but don't let the folks that trash a product turn you away from checking it out.
Lots of products to pick from........thankfully! :ohyea:
This is terrific. Am I the only one around here that is tired or product slamming presented as opinion?

I have not have -- nor do I plan to order any F1 products. Simply because I like my Spyder the way it is with minimal mods (Ultra-touring, HeliBar Riser, Mirror Extenders). From reading the two forums, I would not hesitate to order from Marcel despite the minority of moronic and nasty posts. I think he is trying to provide products that appear to be well designed and well engineered so as to allow him to personalize products for buyers.

When you say you do not like a particular product -- simply say so, with clear and rational reasons why.

It is not necessary to slam products with aggravating, unsupported, inflammatory and uncivilized comments.

Maybe am too old and live a life where criticism must be positive.

I think the moderators need to consider civility when they review posts and posters.

ataDude
10-04-2009, 06:26 PM
...From reading the two forums, I would not hesitate to order from Marcel despite the minority of moronic and nasty posts. I think he is trying to provide products that appear to be well designed and well engineered so as to allow him to personalize products for buyers.

When you say you do not like a particular product -- simply say so, with clear and rational reasons why....

Well, Bill, OK then...

Here's one reason to not ride behind an F1... or any non-DOT-certified... product... one brick dropped from eye level:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=1190

And then, you have this also... note the caution and disclaimer in the second section, and the "hold harmless" statement/agreement in the first.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=1187

mrb
10-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Measured my windshield - 27". Has an open triangular hole towards the bottom. Need a good one thats 3-4" taller. I'm 6'3 / 60" chest. Have a Corbin seat, Air Hawk inflatable seat ( minimally inflated ) and 4" risers. I get head blasted over 55 mph and it's a lot better when slump down 3-4" but not a comfortable cruising posture. So what do I need ?

Do you really need a whole new windscreen? Why not look at the Robobrackets and use them with your existing screen??

They can adjust to give you another 3" and probably make the screen you are using more efficient IMHO. See here - http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.217/.f

Dragonrider
10-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I had a 31.5" F1 and sold it for a 22" Madstad system. I don't have the hand protection, but the torso protection is every bit a good, and the helmet buffeting is a bit BETTER.. The angle of the windshield has a lot to do with how well it works.

One day, I may try a BRP touring on my brackets, for the had protection - but that's a personal thing..

The last thing I would recommend for a tall person is a Tall highly angled windshield like the F1. (I'm 6'5")

bjt
10-05-2009, 06:24 AM
I have the Calsci XL and installed Robobrackets (from Madstad) before the Gatlinburg trip. While the brackets are a PITA to adjust, once you get them where you want them, they are awesome. There is a huge amount of adjustability. :D

Does this mean you are liking and keeping the RoboBrackets now? Seems like your last post on them had you trading them out for a CHAD.

bjt
10-05-2009, 06:38 AM
For the tall windshields, I would contact Marcel at F1 windshields. He made me a very tall EVO II windshield that totally kept the wind off me. Super quiet ride and no buffeting. The three problems I had with the windshield were that it was too tall, not good looking on the Spyder and that two of the mounting holes cracked after a year of ownership.

My advice when considering a tall windshield for ultimate protection from the wind is to be sure that you can still look over the windshield in your normal riding position and aren't looking through it. If you ever get stuck riding in the rain, rain drops on the windshield will greatly reduce your vision. Also, tall windshields tend to look ridiculous on the Spyder.

When I informed Marcel of the cracks in the EVO II, he sent me a free EVO III slider for my review and when I found it too short, he overnighted me a taller replacement slider for free so I am obviously satisfied with his customer service. Over time, I just decided that I liked to have more clean air all around my body and head. I swapped windshields with dltang and cut about 2 inches off the standard EVO III she had. I rode all the way to LA and back with that windshield and was happy.

I have since found that the Madstad RoboBrackets and their small shield provide just as much protection with more airflow around my body.