PDA

View Full Version : Something hinky with the downshift..

Love2Ride
10-04-2009, 08:29 AM
So I'm out riding hubby's bike yesterday and three different times when I came to a full stop I noticed that it was still in 4th gear. It wasn't reving but it hadn't downshifted. As I sat and looked at it it began to downshift back to first gear.

When I got home I pulled up to get the mail.. again full stop still in 4th gear. I tried to downshift manually and it went to third but wouldn't go to second. I sat there wondering what to do and then I hear this noise (gears changing). Then it showed an E on the column. A moment later it reset itself and I drove it home.

Any ideas on what to do?? Gonna call the dealer later but I value ya'lls input.

Thanks in advance!

j45p3r
10-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Have you had the ground wire update done yet?

the nicko
10-04-2009, 10:31 AM
check ground wire update

look at my page

Extracool
10-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Do not think ground wire update will help, have had this done and still happens also happens when you slow down on a hill and do not hit your brake, the motor just boggs down until you manually downshift, was told that the S.A.S., the sensor under the powersteering needs replacing, having mine replaced tomorrow.:gaah:

Love2Ride
10-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks ya'll. This gives me something to ask about when I call on Tues. I greatly appreciate the input.

Firefly
10-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Do not think ground wire update will help, have had this done and still happens also happens when you slow down on a hill and do not hit your brake, the motor just boggs down until you manually downshift, was told that the S.A.S., the sensor under the powersteering needs replacing, having mine replaced tomorrow.:gaah:

Sure you don't mean the GPS sensor (Gear Positioning Sensor or 'Angle Sensor)---- that has usually been the problem.

moroccomole2004
10-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Yea after I had my first services, which included the infamous DPS update #1 and the ground wire update, I still had the SE5 lock-up on start-up. So as karma would have it while I was at the dealership it locked up to show them the continuing issue. They (Fredericksburg Motor Sports) said the same thing that the gear sensor and spring were likely the problem. So guess what is on order along with the new front brake pads? Both issues are covered under warranty.

On top of that after DSP #1, I am having major RPM surge. Fortunately in seeing Lamonster recent post from BRP on DSP update 2 I cut and pasted that in an email to my dealer seeking to get that update along with the new longer vent tube. Just add that to the brakes and shifter parts! I hope after that things will go back to normal and I can just enjoy the ride!

Cheers! :clap:

Mole

mickc
10-05-2009, 02:48 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Spyder Recall Yes/No
About 6/8 weeks ago I tried to make an appointment to get my '08 SE5 in for the Recall adjustment and the Ground Wire fix done. The Service department advised they would call back when they had the parts in stock. Yesterday, Saturday I got the call to make the appointment. Now my problem is, should I really bring it in for this recall?? The Dealer is Rusty Palmer, in Honesdale, Pa. I mention that and hope some other owner has had no problem when RP did their recall. My Spyder runs great, shifts perfectly, no vibratation, stalling, choking, missing, backfiring, and steers just fine. Its a 50 mile ride, which is fun, in a very rural area, to get to the dealer, and I don't want to experience a failure until I see/hear on this web site that success has been acheived for those that are still waiting for it. Should I wait till I see on the-LOVERS.COM that those effected by this gremlin that was supposed to cure the Spyder ills has only made them worse. Anyone here have any recall experience with RP, Rusty Palmer? Sorry for the rant. Mickc

j45p3r
10-05-2009, 03:19 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Spyder Recall Yes/No
About 6/8 weeks ago I tried to make an appointment to get my '08 SE5 in for the Recall adjustment and the Ground Wire fix done. The Service department advised they would call back when they had the parts in stock. Yesterday, Saturday I got the call to make the appointment. Now my problem is, should I really bring it in for this recall?? The Dealer is Rusty Palmer, in Honesdale, Pa. I mention that and hope some other owner has had no problem when RP did their recall. My Spyder runs great, shifts perfectly, no vibratation, stalling, choking, missing, backfiring, and steers just fine. Its a 50 mile ride, which is fun, in a very rural area, to get to the dealer, and I don't want to experience a failure until I see/hear on this web site that success has been acheived for those that are still waiting for it. Should I wait till I see on the-LOVERS.COM that those effected by this gremlin that was supposed to cure the Spyder ills has only made them worse. Anyone here have any recall experience with RP, Rusty Palmer? Sorry for the rant. Mickc
The new-new update is supposed to fix the issues caused by the first update. I'd make sure your dealer also applies that update after doing the first update.

Extracool
10-05-2009, 06:00 PM
I had the S.A.S., the sensor under the power steering replaced today and the newest computer download, bike shifts perfect, when going downhill and coasting without using brakes downshifts exactly right, when you are going uphill and come up on a vehicle and let off the gas without hitting the brakes it downshifts instead of bogging down. Seems to have more torque in 4th and 5th gear on hills that I normally drive, idles better.:2thumbs::2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
10-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the information on this. The dealer applied all of the available updates when I bought the bike on September 9. It is obvious after reading out here that I need to get it updated again, along with possibly having them replace that sensor. Funny thing is mine started acting up after I had the first service done as well.

I will call them tomorrow, as I know my wife's new bike has not had any of the updates so far as it just passed the 600 mile mark.