PDA

View Full Version : Educate me: First road trip

ArmyJoe
10-03-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm about to take my first multi-day road trip and would appreciate advice from the hive. Here's my agenda:

Monday morning - Leave Columbus, Ohio and head to Gettysburg, PA (with a quick stop in Pittsburgh). First day should be about 400 miles.

Tuesday evening - Depart for Wilkes-Barre, PA to do some genealogy research. That's another 152 miles.

Wednesday through Friday - Driving around Wilkes-Barre, chasing down leads, photographing tombstones, etc.

Friday noon - Head home. I'll do about 463 miles that day, expecing to get home about 8 PM. I'll be stopping for dinner at the original Quaker Steak and Lube in Sharon, PA.

My longest ride so far has been 2 hours long and had no issues. I have both a Crampbuster and a Throttlemeister, but no risers. I have raingear. I don't have a GPS.

Suggestions or advice?

Thanks,
Joe

xpeschon
10-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Don't forget the check the tire pressure, both fronts and the rear,, Can't express how important that is!!
Joe
PS: Have a safe trip brother.

fastfraser
10-03-2009, 10:01 PM
:thumbup: 400 miles about 8-10 hours saddle time or 3 gas stops. I start to look for gas at about 125-150 miles. A lot more than 2 hours but not a bad days ride. I'm just north of the border and it has been cold and wet, make sure your rain gear will keep you dry And dress in layers to keep warm. Relax while you drive, if you hold on to tight your arms, shoulders, hands and back will get sore for sure.
Have a safe and care free trip and let us know how it went for you when you get back.:popcorn:

Skidz
10-03-2009, 10:49 PM
#1 piece of advice: Plan, plan, then plan some more. Don't overdo it. If you aren't at 100% mistakes are compounded.

Also, I like to take an aspirin each morning on a long trip. Helps prevent headaches, and the thinner blood gets to your rear a bit easier, helping to prevent monkey butt.

Finally, let your credit card company know that you will be making multiple stops in distant areas. When I did my first Iron Butt ride, I didn't do this, and about 2/3 through the trip, my CC was denied. I called, to find out they thought the activity looked suspicious, and put a hold on the card. After explaining things, they lifted the hold and all was good. But, it would have been much easier to have got this done ahead of time.

Skidz

ArmyJoe
10-03-2009, 10:57 PM
#1 piece of advice: Plan, plan, then plan some more. Don't overdo it. If you aren't at 100% mistakes are compounded.

Working on that right now. Since I don't have a GPS, I'm using Google maps to get screenshots of interchages so I can memorize my route between each rest stop.

Pittsburgh roads seem to be a maze.

WackyDan
10-03-2009, 11:12 PM
rain will ruin your day... That 460 mile day could end up being forever long.

I suggest you plan on an extra day just in case you need to stop due to weather.

mike3069
10-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Get risers and a GPS. :joke:

Seriously, all of the above posts are real good suggestions.

And have a safe and fun time!:thumbup:

Bersquack
10-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Ride Safe!

Spyder#353
10-04-2009, 07:05 AM
:thumbup: 400 miles about 8-10 hours saddle time or 3 gas stops. I start to look for gas at about 125-150 miles. A lot more than 2 hours but not a bad days ride. I'm just north of the border and it has been cold and wet, make sure your rain gear will keep you dry And dress in layers to keep warm. Relax while you drive, if you hold on to tight your arms, shoulders, hands and back will get sore for sure.
Have a safe and care free trip and let us know how it went for you when you get back

:agree: Enjoy your first trip.

Spyder#353
10-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Working on that right now. Since I don't have a GPS, I'm using Google maps to get screenshots of interchages so I can memorize my route between each rest stop.

Pittsburgh roads seem to be a maze.

I would definitely spring for a GPS. I've driven and ridden all over the country without a GPS. Now that I have one I don't know how I did it. I use it just about every day. Going to job sites. Just give me the address put that in the GPS and I'm there. They don't cost that much money and you won't regret it.:thumbup:

wolfshead1
10-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Get a small atlas that is easy to read if you don't have GPS.Enlarge your printed directions so you can see them at a glance.I have often made large print directions and placed them inside a ziplock bag and put that in my coat and pulled them out from time to time. Garmin 360 is like a hundred bucks now.Ride and walk for a bit each fillup.Walk around your bike checking tires etc.This is great fun touring.Someone said in a car you look at the scenery but on a bike you are in the scenery.

There is a different feeling being in the wind a couple of days away from home,it expands my gratitude and shrinks my ego.

ride safe and ride often.
wolfshead1

Lamonster
10-04-2009, 08:01 AM
When I found out the RT I was driving back from DC didn't have a GPS I bought one for that trip (by the way it's for sale $150.00). I won't go on any long trip without a GPS. Turns out I needed it when I broke my shock adjuster and I had to make my way to the local dealer. The GPS took me right there.:doorag:

Rain can be a real drag and a 100 miles can seem like a 1000 if it's heavy. I use my iphone to watch the weather and more than once I've been able to sit out a storm as it passes. You don't "need" that but it sure is handy.

bjt
10-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Be prepared to make 'adjustments' to your plan....Sometimes weather, traffic, fatigue, road conditions, mechanical issues make it difficult to stick with the original plan.

+1

Do you have highway pegs to give you alternate leg positions while riding? Being able to make riding position adjustments in the saddle can be the difference between pulling over after 30 minutes for a break or riding for another hour, til the next fuel stop. If you figure on a minimum of 15 minutes at every stop, a few extra stops will really increase your time on the road for that day or cause you to end that day without reaching your goal. Also, a GPS is a good investment for traveling. No GPS is perfect but it can help get you through a difficult area without requiring you to pull over to regain your bearings and recalculate a route to get you where your going.

NancysToy
10-04-2009, 09:28 AM
I, too, use a GPS these days, but rode thousands of miles without one. Pre-planned maps in a Ziploc bag, marked AAA maps in a tankbags, or a good atlas can work very well and served the touring rider for years. I agree with the advice to be flexible, and allow for variations from the plan. Just plan as well as you can, ride, and enjoy. No matter where you go, or how far you get, you can always turn around halfway through your vacation and head back. It's not the destination...it's the ride! Don't worry if your plans change along the way. Enjoy the adventure!

ArmyJoe
10-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Do you have highway pegs to give you alternate leg positions while riding?

No pegs so far, just the gear listed in my sig.

A Zumo 550 GPS is on my list, but probably not until spring.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Are there tools I should bring other than what's in the tool kit? How about extra oil?

NancysToy
10-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Are there tools I should bring other than what's in the tool kit? How about extra oil?
If you do not have Ride-On in the tires I recommend a tire plugging kit and a small compressor like the Slime unit. Duct tape never hurts, either. Also spare relays and fuses.

Smylinacha
10-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Well since I don't lead any long trips, I don't need a gps - HDX is my gps:D But highway pegs is a must! I just rode home from TN and sure could have used those on 81! Got them now from Magic Man. Installed yesterday. Will take pics tomorrow and upload. Also risers are good - less fatigue on the arms and a phone w/ the internet so you can look at weather coming at ya.

Edit to add: some sort of cruise control. I have a throttle rocker and that's all good but you still can't let go completely of the throttle - just got Magic Man's Cruise assist - nice thing to having when you're on the highway for hours getting bored out of your mind and your wrists start hurting and because of sheer boredom, all you think about is aches and pains. Unless you love highway riding. I pretty much HATE IT. Give me a nice country road, curves, twisties, no semis that smell bad and nicer views! But HDX tells me I gotta put up with it cuz it gets me to my destination where the real fun begins.

Questions
10-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Rain gear was mentioned but be sure you include waterproof boots and gloves or glove covers in your rain gear list. It's not a bad idea to carry an extra pair of gloves too, just in case you are late getting the gear on before the storm hits. Some riders never even wear gloves but I'd highly recommend them at all times. I never heard anyone say "Gee I wish I hadn't had so much gear on when I hit the ground!"

Enjoy your trip but be prepared.

MarkLawson
10-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Take half the clothes & twice the money you've already planned.

BajaRon
10-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Can't help you out at all. But just in case, here is what I do.

1- Show up at Lamont's (Late)

2- Throw my stuff in Lamont's trailer

3- Do my best to keep up.

I'm never lost as long as I can see Lamont. (Get's more challanging in heavy traffic or after dark)

Since I don't know where we are going, when we are supposed to arrive, or what we're doing when we get there I just enjoy the ride.

Oh! Did I mention that I always show up at Lamont with less than 1 bar on my fuel gauge!? He just LOVES that about me!

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Love2Ride
10-05-2009, 01:38 PM
I carry sunscreen, something to clean my windshield and an extra towel. Keep check on your tire pressure.

btw.. My inlaws live in Columbus Oh. ;)

ArmyJoe
10-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I survived the first leg of the trip and I'm enjoying some wings in Chambersburg, PA. I'll probably start a new thread with my trip blog.

ETA: Blog is up at http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=148614