PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings Time

Little Blue
03-11-2022, 05:15 AM
:chat:.... Just wanted you to know that Daylight Savings Time is this Sunday.
You know the drill, spring ahead One Hour. ...:ohyea:

So what does this do for me, absolutely nothing. It makes the sunshine start one hour later.

Maybe someone out there has a good reason for doing this 'Time Game'?

Please Post Your Best Guess. ...:roflblack:...:roflblack:

Thanks and have a wonderful Day. .....:thumbup:

blacklightning
03-11-2022, 09:33 AM
I actually like the extended daylight that we get from the spring change. The only thing it will do for me in the mornings is that I will be taking my "heat" with me when I go to the park for my 7:00 am walks. With it being light at 7 now, I had started to slip and left my "heat" at home on most days. But when it is slightly dark, it is always with me.

Bangorbob
03-11-2022, 10:20 AM
Now I will be able to sleep until 6am. They really need to quit this time change stuff. Of course that's my opinion only.

RayBJ
03-11-2022, 10:26 AM
I believe like so many other inane laws DST was enacted to extend shopping at retailers during Christmas shopping season. It's past it's useful life and should be ended IMHO.

MNBK
03-11-2022, 11:02 AM
Many states have passed legislation to stay permanently on DST contingent on the federal government passing similar legislation. Minnesota passed it and the legislation states it will be enacted upon federal law enacted as such.

Knizar
03-11-2022, 11:08 AM
I believe like so many other inane laws DST was enacted to extend shopping at retailers during Christmas shopping season. It's past it's useful life and should be ended IMHO.

Sorry, but DST ends well before Christmas in my part of the country, it doesn't have to be light outside to shop. I believe that DST is for the 9-5 people so they can play golf,:bbq: outdoor BBQ, etc.....:thumbup:...Bill

spyderdave
03-11-2022, 11:24 AM
Overall, I believe DST was adopted to make better use of resources and man-hours from sun-up to sun-down; in my region of the country, think farming.

KenF
03-11-2022, 11:48 AM
Whatever was or is the reason. "JUST STOP" Stay on standard time year round.

canamjhb
03-11-2022, 01:32 PM
We don't participate in DST here in Arizona. Neither does Hawaii. The sun comes up and the sun goes down. We can't change any of that no matter how much we play with our wristwatches...... Jim

Elwood58
03-11-2022, 02:20 PM
Here in Arizona it is something that happens to everybody else.

EdMat
03-11-2022, 02:38 PM
Reminds me of the old Indian cartoon with the caption something like "Only white man believes he can cut a foot off top of blanket and sew it back on bottom, and have longer blanket"

Peter Aawen
03-11-2022, 02:53 PM
Reminds me of the old Indian cartoon with the caption something like "Only white man believes he can cut a foot off top of blanket and sew it back on bottom, and have longer blanket"

But if you're lying in bed with cold & uncovered shoulders while there's a heap of unused blanket extending down below your feet, isn't it only sense to pull it up a bit & cover your shoulders?! :dontknow: . Or at least you could slide down the bed a bit further so that you make better use of the full length of the blanket and cover all of you instead of only using the top half to cover your lower half.... :banghead: . That's really all that daylight saving does - there's no cutting or sewing involved, just a little bit of 'pulling' or 'sliding' so that you are better covered by the available blanket... err, daylight! ;)

Obviously it's not a biggie where the blanket/daylight is big/long enough to cover all of you all of the time; but further North (or South :p ) where the nights can be looong or short depending on the season &/or blankets can be critical to keeping you warm or barely needed at all, it can be a pretty handy thing to have the sense to pull the blanket up or leave it down around your feet, can't it?!? :dontknow:

Just Sayin' :rolleyes:

Little Blue
03-11-2022, 03:08 PM
:chat:...Some of the better comments I have heard on the use of DST. Here in good ole Indiana, the State People
keep saying we need to change this. Nothing has happened for the last 10 years. So just make the best of it. ..........:roflblack:...:roflblack:...:roflblack:

troop
03-11-2022, 04:25 PM
Spring the clocks ahead on Sunday and leave it.

ARtraveler
03-11-2022, 04:40 PM
I am somewhat in the minority, but I like DST.

I actually like the "extra" hour of daylight at the END of the day. I am not much into night riding anymore. The old eyes, just are not what they used to be.

In Alaska, there was just too much light in the summer. We did get "paid back" in the winter time though. Five hours of daylight on the shortest day was a bit much even for me. Light from about 10 AM to 3:30 PM.

Changing it out, is above my paygrade or ability, so like you all, I have learned to be happy with what I have. :bowdown:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-11-2022, 06:47 PM
Lots and lots of chatter about this ..... and even though the majority of folks here are " OLDER " ..like me I don't see why there is so much confusion about WHY it began ..... The FARMERS ... like Dairy farmers, that have to tend the Cows are the reason this idea was started ..... at least that's what I have heard from decades ago .... Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
03-11-2022, 07:42 PM
Lots and lots of chatter about this ..... and even though the majority of folks here are " OLDER " ..like me I don't see why there is so much confusion about WHY it began ..... The FARMERS ... like Dairy farmers, that have to tend the Cows are the reason this idea was started ..... at least that's what I have heard from decades ago .... Mike :thumbup:

Me too on the start reason. :yes:

MONK
03-11-2022, 08:05 PM

canamjhb
03-12-2022, 09:59 AM
My memory of DST is that it is met to save energy by better using daylight when the sun comes up earlier in the spring and summer..... Jim

Pooch
03-12-2022, 10:08 AM
If our lives were not ruled by the clock we would not feel the difference.

Little Blue
03-12-2022, 11:27 AM
:popcorn:....Cows and the Farmers, A very interesting thought about how DST started.
I will try and study more on this one. ......:coffee:

bigbadbrucie
03-12-2022, 12:34 PM
:popcorn:....Cows and the Farmers, A very interesting thought about how DST started.

Actually, I was told the same by my mother and father back in the early ‘50’s. I was born in the ‘40’s.

Little Blue
03-12-2022, 08:04 PM
:shemademe_smilie:...Remember to Spring forward on your clocks tonight.

canamjhb
03-12-2022, 08:35 PM

I don't think cows and crops care what time it is or if we mere mortals fiddle with our clocks...... Spring ahead if you must..... Jim

Steve W.
03-12-2022, 11:54 PM
Does a farmer really care whether he gets up at 4am or 5am? Probably not. He gets up an hour or so before it gets light, so he can grab some grub, then make sure the equipment for the day is ready to go. Depending on what is on the day's joblist, the equipment is likely to have enough lights on it to simulate a very localized 'daylight', so it really doesn't matter what the clock says.

I have always heard that to a farmer, there is no such time as "bright and early".
If it's 'bright', it's certainly not early. If it's 'early', it dang sure isn't bright.

For me, I don't care if we stick with standard time or daylight saving time. Just STOP CHANGING. :cus:

Little Blue
03-15-2022, 05:32 AM
Does a farmer really care whether he gets up at 4am or 5am? Probably not. He gets up an hour or so before it gets light, so he can grab some grub, then make sure the equipment for the day is ready to go. Depending on what is on the day's joblist, the equipment is likely to have enough lights on it to simulate a very localized 'daylight', so it really doesn't matter what the clock says.

I have always heard that to a farmer, there is no such time as "bright and early".
If it's 'bright', it's certainly not early. If it's 'early', it dang sure isn't bright.

For me, I don't care if we stick with standard time or daylight saving time. Just STOP CHANGING. :cus:

I enjoyed this one. Sometimes people have time issues and they are great, but most times they make no sense.

We will let this time thing go at this time. ....:coffee: