PDA

View Full Version : I bought my Spyder because it had VSS

altonk
10-03-2009, 01:08 AM
While trying to research the handling characteristics of the VSS system on the Spyder I came across mostly people asking how to disable it. I thought I would turn it around and give some of the reasons I wanted a VSS system.

A few years ago the FIA outlawed active stability systems in formula one racing. The reason was that the laps times had decreased immensely since it's adoption. The nature of accidents on the track changed also. The cars where always driving at the limit of adhesion of the tires at all times on the track. this was the case in braking force, lateral acceleration while turning , and acceleration. When a limit was exceeded the crashes tended to be fast,unrecoverable by a professional driver, and had higher rates of fatality.

This proved that computers where more capable of computing and controlling vehicle dynamics than all but the very best road racers and that could even be debated under most conditions.

If I want to play sprint car I rent a dirt kart or get on a dirt bike. If i want to drive at the limits of adhesion of my tiires, a sports car or SPYDER with an advanced VSS/TCS is the way to go. The system is not the demon it's made out to be. If you reach it's limit you really won't be able to squeeze much more performance out it, Ok perhaps Mr schumacker might be able to, but most mere mortals forget it. Want more lateral accereration go to the Hoosiers site and get yourself a set of DOT approved autocross tires that fit the Spyder (which I am going to do soon) and don't waste them making smoke. I wish VSS worked for a standing start. But I guess we have to maintain throttle discipline somewhere.

BTW If you want to slip the tires with the blessing of the VSS a three wheel drift at a relatively small angle coming out of the apex seems to be allowed if you keep the rear wheel speed under control.

Here is a link to a good article on the history and operation of stability control systems with lots of references,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control

The limit of control is the place to be, happy motoring and aviod the large metal objects with gray hair.

altonk
10-03-2009, 02:00 AM
a good TCS article

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/7

NancysToy
10-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Good post, thanks! I agree wholeheartedly. We bought the Spyder partly for the VSS, too. My wife was a novice rider, and there was no way I could be comfortable riding along with 50+ years of riding and racing experience, with her trying to keep up with a new and unfamiliar toy. I agree that there are other ways to get your kicks, if you need them. I want this ride to be stable. I can get another toy and go to the track or the trail if I find the need to scare myself. I did not hesitate to order my RTS because of the VSS, either. I personally love the feeling of full control.

Magic Man
10-03-2009, 08:21 AM
While trying to research the handling characteristics of the VSS system on the Spyder I came across mostly people asking how to disable it. I thought I would turn it around and give some of the reasons I wanted a VSS system.

A few years ago the FIA outlawed active stability systems in formula one racing. The reason was that the laps times had decreased immensely since it's adoption. The nature of accidents on the track changed also. The cars where always driving at the limit of adhesion of the tires at all times on the track. this was the case in braking force, lateral acceleration while turning , and acceleration. When a limit was exceeded the crashes tended to be fast,unrecoverable by a professional driver, and had higher rates of fatality.

This proved that computers where more capable of computing and controlling vehicle dynamics than all but the very best road racers and that could even be debated under most conditions.

If I want to play sprint car I rent a dirt kart or get on a dirt bike. If i want to drive at the limits of adhesion of my tiires, a sports car or SPYDER with an advanced VSS/TCS is the way to go. The system is not the demon it's made out to be. If you reach it's limit you really won't be able to squeeze much more performance out it, Ok perhaps Mr schumacker might be able to, but most mere mortals forget it. Want more lateral accereration go to the Hoosiers site and get yourself a set of DOT approved autocross tires that fit the Spyder (which I am going to do soon) and don't waste them making smoke. I wish VSS worked for a standing start. But I guess we have to maintain throttle discipline somewhere.

BTW If you want to slip the tires with the blessing of the VSS a three wheel drift at a relatively small angle coming out of the apex seems to be allowed if you keep the rear wheel speed under control.

Here is a link to a good article on the history and operation of stability control systems with lots of references,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control

The limit of control is the place to be, happy motoring and aviod the large metal objects with gray hair.

:agree::agree::agree: :clap:

MM

DynamoBT
10-03-2009, 08:39 AM
I agree also. When riding two wheels became and issue for me. I looked at three wheeled configurations. The sidecar rig looked interesting. But I discovered they can be the dickens to handle. I was attracted to the Spyder right away because of the safety features. My days of hair raising risky activity are pretty much over. Once, there wasn't a rogue horse I wouldn't get on and straighten out. Not any more. Injuries have caught up with me. I want my rides to be a bit more predictable now.

I absolutely wouldn't be riding anything were it not for the Spyder. I practically feel indebted to BRP for coming up with the concept and gettng it into production. For me, it's YEAH BRP!!! and YEAH SPYDER!!!:thumbup:

2spyders
10-03-2009, 06:40 PM
The thing that I've discovered about the VSS (on the track, and on the twisties) is that the better I get at riding this machine, the less the VSS kicks in. I go faster and smoother and more in control. It's almost like a teaching device.

In fact, it's become sort of a goal for me to ride this thing as fast as possible, around as many corners as possible, without the nanny kicking in. And when the nanny does kick in, then I know that I haven't done it right yet, and it probably just saved my @$$.

altonk
10-03-2009, 07:48 PM
it's kinda like having a race instuctor riding on back correcting your mistakes:2thumbs:

WackyDan
10-03-2009, 09:10 PM
The nanny is what helped me run the Dragon last Thursday... faster. I had never had the nanny kick on the brakes before that day...Glad to have it.

manchild
10-04-2009, 02:31 AM
The thing that I've discovered about the VSS (on the track, and on the twisties) is that the better I get at riding this machine, the less the VSS kicks in. I go faster and smoother and more in control. It's almost like a teaching device.

In fact, it's become sort of a goal for me to ride this thing as fast as possible, around as many corners as possible, without the nanny kicking in. And when the nanny does kick in, then I know that I haven't done it right yet, and it probably just saved my @$$.
:agree: What he said!

altonk
10-26-2009, 09:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nzk4BP_iJY

BajaRon
10-26-2009, 10:40 PM
It is true that the smoother you ride the Spyder the faster you can go without the Nanny getting upset.

It's also true that adding the sway bar increases your ability to avoid the VSS intrusions while being able to go faster.

Since installing the sway bar I've been able to slide (ever so slightly) all 3 wheels without incurring the wrath of Nanny. And she does teach you to ride better if you'll pay attention to what gets her goat.

My only complaint is that she tends to be abrupt and can give you a rocking horse effect at times.

Lamont tells me that the Nanny on the RT is much more sophisticated and refined. She slows you down without slapping you in the process.

All in all, I'd say some of us would be laying in the weeds (or worse) without her keeping us in line. Most of us are not the increadible racers that we think we are. The Spyder's VSS lets us push our limits with a lot less risk.

Make a mistake on a 2 wheeler and you'll pay just about every time. Make a mistake on the Spyder and the most you'll suffer is a bit of embarrisment as the Nanny shuts you down.

I'll take the embarrisment over the alternative every time! :ohyea: