PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Spyder

Baron14y
02-26-2022, 04:53 PM
Just gave my Spyder to my youngest son. He lives about 50 miles from me. Wasn't ryding very much. I used to sit in the garage with the door open just looking at it. I will miss it, but I think it will get used a lot more than I was using it.:(:(:(

ARtraveler
02-26-2022, 05:49 PM
You kept it in the family. :bowdown:

Little Blue
02-26-2022, 06:06 PM
:popcorn: I think you made an excellent choice for your Spyder. Keep it in the family and let your son enjoy
some 'wind therapy'.
Hopefully he will treat the Spyder with TLC.

Stay Healthy my friend. ......:thumbup:

2dogs
02-26-2022, 10:38 PM
Just gave my Spyder to my youngest son. He lives about 50 miles from me. Wasn't ryding very much. I used to sit in the garage with the door open just looking at it. I will miss it, but I think it will get used a lot more than I was using it.:(:(:(

Great dad!

Brentc
02-27-2022, 06:43 AM
If you’re ever looking to adopt another son, please pm me. :clap:
Hope your son gets to enjoy it as you hope!

bikerbillone
02-27-2022, 07:08 AM
Gosh Baron, that was good of you. I guess the time comes when we need to hang up the saddle.

vito1943
02-27-2022, 10:29 AM
Sorry to hear that you felt you needed to give up your Spyder. While I have no idea why you stopped riding, there are alternatives that might still give you the enjoyment of what you had with your Spyder. Possibly a small, but not tiny scooter like my Honda PCS 150 which can do 65 mph but is light as a feather and easy to handle even with my damaged shoulders and arthritis in my hands. Or consider a small convertible. One of the members of my local Goldwing Road Riders Club felt it was time to give up his big Goldwing and he bought a nice Miata convertible. Last summer I fulfilled a dream of my wife's and we bought her a new Mini Cooper S convertible, with manual transmission, and I can tell you it is a hoot to ride. If I ever feel that I have to give up my Spyder, which I bought when giving up my Goldwing, I think I could be quite happy just driving the Mini convertible. When I have to give up driving, if ever, that will be another sad story. Good luck with whatever you do.

FrogmanDave
02-28-2022, 05:26 PM
Possibly a small, but not tiny scooter like my Honda PCS 150 which can do 65 mph but is light as a feather and easy to handle.

+1 on the PCX. Mine is a 2020 and my favorite around town vehicle. I own 2 other scooters and an ST1300 (and soon 2022 Spyder RTL). Scooters are indeed a blast to ride and mine gets almost 100 mpg.

UtahPete
02-28-2022, 08:06 PM
+1 on the PCX. Mine is a 2020 and my favorite around town vehicle. I own 2 other scooters and an ST1300 (and soon 2022 Spyder RTL). Scooters are indeed a blast to ride and mine gets almost 100 mpg.

I might just have to console myself with one of these once my touring days are over!
https://www.cycletrader.com/Honda-Pcx-150-Scooter/motorcycles-for-sale?type=Motorcycle%7C356953&make=Honda%7C2316874&model=PCX%7C764933499&trim=150%7C4134&category=Scooter%7C2009120

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-28-2022, 10:24 PM
I might just have to console myself with one of these once my touring days are over!
https://www.cycletrader.com/Honda-Pcx-150-Scooter/motorcycles-for-sale?type=Motorcycle%7C356953&make=Honda%7C2316874&model=PCX%7C764933499&trim=150%7C4134&category=Scooter%7C2009120

I'm sure they ride a whole lot better than the 1955 Cushman Eagle I had during high school.

Baron14y
03-03-2022, 01:42 PM

My son picked up the Spyder and drove it home to Orlando. He is thrilled with it. He and his girlfriend ryde it every night. Last night they took it when they went out for dinner and called right afterwards to tell me how much they have enjoyed it. I miss it, but he has ridden it more in the week he has had it then I did for the last 3 - 4 months. But I am thrilled to see how much joy he is getting from it. A father can't ask for more then see one of his children enjoying a gift that was given to them by him:2thumbs::D.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-03-2022, 02:22 PM
My son picked up the Spyder and drove it home to Orlando. He is thrilled with it. He and his girlfriend ryde it every night. Last night they took it when they went out for dinner and called right afterwards to tell me how much they have enjoyed it. I miss it, but he has ridden it more in the week he has had it then I did for the last 3 - 4 months. But I am thrilled to see how much joy he is getting from it. A father can't ask for more then see one of his children enjoying a gift that was given to them by him:2thumbs::D.

You Sir are a Great Dad ...... Mike :thumbup: ..... I did something similar ( and continue to do so ) ..... after I turned 70 , I was forced to take money ( IRS requirement - RMD ) from a retirement account ( that wasn't taxed going in, but is coming out :gaah:) I decided to split it between my Son & Daughter equally after I paid the taxes. Because I'm fortunate to not need this money, it would have gone into my estate after my demise :yikes: ...... Although it's only $ 10,000, I told them they could do what they wanted with it, but suggested they start investing for their futures ...... Happily that's what they are doing ...... Mike :thumbup:

Baron14y
03-03-2022, 02:35 PM
You Sir are a Great Dad ...... Mike :thumbup: ..... I did something similar ( and continue to do so ) ..... after I turned 70 , I was forced to take money ( IRS requirement - RMD ) from a retirement account ( that wasn't taxed going in, but is coming out :gaah:) I decided to split it between my Son & Daughter equally after I paid the taxes. Because I'm fortunate to not need this money, it would have gone into my estate after my demise :yikes: ...... Although it's only $ 10,000, I told them they could do what they wanted with it, but suggested they start investing for their futures ...... Happily that's what they are doing ...... Mike :thumbup:

Thank you for the compliment. When I was 70, I was still driving my Corvette, flying my twin engined plane all around the country, The Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Costa Rica, etc. Didn't take up motorcycles until I was about 78. Now, at 81, I have an oxygen concentrator, a cane, and I do have a scooter. But, it is battery operated and is used primarilly for getting around the house.:(

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-03-2022, 03:02 PM
Thank you for the compliment. When I was 70, I was still driving my Corvette, flying my twin engined plane all around the country, The Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Costa Rica, etc. Didn't take up motorcycles until I was about 78. Now, at 81, I have an oxygen concentrator, a cane, and I do have a scooter. But, it is battery operated and is used primarilly for getting around the house.:(

Sorry to hear of your health issues ..... sending :pray::pray::pray: ..... Mike :thumbup:

MonPaul
03-03-2022, 09:22 PM

Lucky son! And I bet if you are nice to him he will let you borrow it ;)

bigbadbrucie
03-03-2022, 09:46 PM
I did the same thing with 2 different bikes. The first one that I gave him was an ‘86 Yamaha 1100cc Virago, and the second one was when I gave him my Honda 1300cc VTX. The Virago is now owned by my son-in-law and my son traded the VTX in on a Harley frame mounted dresser.