PDA

View Full Version : Pull the motor to replace Pan gasket on a 15 RTL?

Mosess01
02-20-2022, 10:56 PM
Hello guys i have one question, to replace the pan gasket would you need to pull the motor on the 1330....a friends bike is in need of service. i am capable of doing the job but i have never gone this deep into a can am...

BertRemington
02-20-2022, 11:46 PM

Little Blue
02-21-2022, 04:38 AM
:chat:.... Well, the service manual is your best guess. Post #2 is saying that you would need to remove the engine.
If you feel like this is something you want to do, then go ahead.

I would have my Local Spyder Dealer do mine.

Good Luck with Your Mission. .....:thumbup:

Iceman47
02-21-2022, 07:19 AM
If I remember correctly, Shawn Smoak, on his You Tube channel, showed pulling the engine to replace a broken transmission output shaft. The dealership purchased a special tool, lift, cradle, whatever you want to call it, to hold the engine and trans assembly as it was slid out from the left side of the frame. Memory says it was a $600 service part. FYI

larryd
02-21-2022, 10:54 AM
I'd make extra sure of the exact location of the leak your looking for before going that deep...Also keep in mind the some, very few 1330 engines had porous crankcase issues...larryd

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-21-2022, 03:36 PM
Hello guys i have one question, to replace the pan gasket would you need to pull the motor on the 1330....a friends bike is in need of service. i am capable of doing the job but i have never gone this deep into a can am...

What kind of service is needed? Is the pan gasket leaking oil? Or is there is some other reason you want to remove the pan? If it is leaking, and it's not very bad, he might be better off to just live with it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-21-2022, 04:44 PM
What kind of service is needed? Is the pan gasket leaking oil? Or is there is some other reason you want to remove the pan? If it is leaking, and it's not very bad, he might be better off to just live with it.

:agree: ... this to me is cost / time = benefit thing ..... jmho .... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

Mosess01
02-23-2022, 10:06 PM
As stated, it's not my bike so just trying to get info, I hope that's okay

Crank case was over filled and the member of our group was told to order this part, i am just helping them with labor so i am just trying to get info...

No leak

I am just providing labor, a few things are going here that I have not mentioned: 1 the bike just stopped running; 2 the bike was over filled with oil; 3 another person worked on the bike; and 4 I am just trying to help a friend get their bike back on the road. It seems like this bike may be heading to a dealer for this repair.

Peter Aawen
02-23-2022, 11:38 PM
I am just providing labor, a few things are going here that I have not mentioned: 1 the bike just stopped running; 2 the bike was over filled with oil; 3 another person worked on the bike; and 4 I am just trying to help a friend get their bike back on the road. It seems like this bike may be heading to a dealer for this repair.

Yeah, I dunno that I'd be playing around with doing anything like just aiming to change the pan gasket on this one! :lecturef_smilie:

Cos the engine now won't run, it sounds waaayy too much like there's something else fairly drastic going on.... :rolleyes: It might be something simple & readily fixed by just fixing the oil pan gasket; maybe it's only a bit more drastic, like oil seeping into a cylinder while the engine was stopped & that has hydro-locked the engine; but just as readily that 'oil in a cylinder' thing could've happened while the engine was running & that could've bent rods &/or done all sorts of other nasty things!! :yikes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-24-2022, 01:12 AM
Do you know what the other friend did to try to fix the bike? I'm having a hard time coming up with any likely scenario that overfilling would cause the engine to stop other than oil getting into the air box and fouling the plugs. Drain the oil out and refill to proper level. Remove the plugs and clean them. Clean out the air box. I don't see any connection between the engine quitting and the pan gasket. I think you're chasing the rabbit down the wrong hole.

BertRemington
02-24-2022, 02:11 AM
replace the pan gasket
There is no part with that name. Please provide the part number.

the member of our group was told to order this part
Repeating the above -- please provide the part number.

1 the bike just stopped running
I assume you were not present for this event.

2 the bike was over filled with oil
Or this one.

3 another person worked on the bike
And this one.

4 I am just trying to help a friend get their bike back on the road
Only one person needed for a downhill or level ground push to the road; two or three needed for an uphill push. (sarcasm)

bike may be heading to a dealer for this repair
Yeah that's your best move at this point.

Mikey
02-24-2022, 08:21 AM
Was the motor filled to the point it locked up? And now it won't run, there will be most likely more to this than just a gasket!!! Sorry to hear this tail of bad fortune!!

K80Shooter
02-24-2022, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure about a spyder engine but on other's if you overfill with enough oil then the crankshaft hitting the oil will cause it to foam up and then in essence you'll be running without oil, this could cause the engine to lock up or tighten up enough so that it wouldn't run.

Mind you this is only what "could" happen under the right circumstances and in no way am I saying that's what's wrong.

cptjam
02-25-2022, 02:18 AM
The engine cradle to remove the engine is not cheap. Not clear on pan gasket. Not sure on why it is not running. I would trailer it to a dealer. Let them diagnose what’s wrong. These are quite oil tight, so, I’m thinking over filled. Good for you trying to help. Good luck! ��