PDA

View Full Version : Stuck side case - any suggestions on fixing?

peterparker
02-13-2022, 11:30 AM
Hello. Just bought a new to me 2020 Spyder RTL Dark. Brought it home Friday 2/11. Lots of differences from my old 2014 and all of them good.

Hopefully I can get some advice. My right side case will not open. The salesman struggled to open it when I bought the bike and had about a 50% sucess rate. The left side opens fine with only 1 hand needed on the latch.

Anybody have suggestions?

Bill

trikermutha
02-13-2022, 12:25 PM
Take it back and have them fix it.

No sense fiddling with a new machine that you paid good money .

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-13-2022, 01:00 PM
Take it back and have them fix it.

No sense fiddling with a new machine that you paid good money .

:agree: ... the cable needs ADJUSTMENT ....... on my 14 it required a few pieces of tupperware to be removed, probably the same for yours ...... Mike :thumbup:

2dogs
02-13-2022, 01:59 PM
When mine were new they both used to stick. While I held the lever in the opening position I gave the cover a firm whack with the heel of my hand and they popped open. Then I applied just a smidgen of grease to the hooks and they worked fine after that. Still today I always give them a light whack to make doubly sure they're fully latched. Just a habit I guess.

peterparker
02-13-2022, 02:37 PM
When you whack the lid, do you whack it on the side or on the top?

Knizar
02-13-2022, 02:55 PM
Hello. Just bought a new to me 2020 Spyder RTL Dark. Brought it home Friday 2/11. Lots of differences from my old 2014 and all of them good.

Hopefully I can get some advice. My right side case will not open. The salesman struggled to open it when I bought the bike and had about a 50% sucess rate. The left side opens fine with only 1 hand needed on the latch.

Anybody have suggestions?

Bill

Same problem here, had them adjust the left one at my first service job, since that time the right bag doesn't work correctly. There is an adjuster up under the bags you can feel, it's a wing wheel that shortens and lengthens the cable.
I have screwed with it but never found the sweet spot. Its too bad that everything with a latch on these bikes has to be cable operated. "Take it to a Dealer, If you break the lever, they won't warranty it". Good Luck...:thumbup:...Bill

spyderdave
02-13-2022, 03:13 PM
When I picked mine up, the left side stuck. I just pushed in w/ my thigh when pulling the lever at first, then greased the latch bars in the cover and catch "fingers" that were visible. That, and 7500 miles of vibration and compression on the cover seal, seem to have cured the problem.

If you want to get to the back of the catch to adjust or oil it; you have to pop off the rear seat, remove 2 torx-head screws and the trim panel that is between the passenger handle and the seat. The mechanisms (there are 2) should be visible.

2dogs
02-13-2022, 05:12 PM
Not on top and not on the side. Where the top and side come together, possibly a little more on the side so to speak. That portion of the cover is the strongest part of the lid. Gently at first, don't overdo it. Good luck.

Mike0123
04-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Here is my experience from just two weeks ago. I have a 2021 RTL and the side bag latches were always stiff and hard to open, but they always opened. Two weeks ago I broke the right side one of trying to open it. Took it to the dealers for warranty work, and they broke the left side one! They replace both under warranty.. and here’s the key .. they replaced the cables too. They told me that the cables had some kind of corrosion in them even though they were only 18. Months old. So with new cables and lubed latch assemblies and the new latch levers ... smooth as butter. Like unbelievably smooth. Incredible.

Knizar
04-04-2022, 08:25 PM
Same problem here, had them adjust the left one at my first service job, since that time the right bag doesn't work correctly. There is an adjuster up under the bags you can feel, it's a wing wheel that shortens and lengthens the cable.
I have screwed with it but never found the sweet spot. Its too bad that everything with a latch on these bikes has to be cable operated. "Take it to a Dealer, If you break the lever, they won't warranty it". Good Luck...:thumbup:...Bill

Ok, an extension of my Post #6, If and when you get the side boxes open. I found that adjusting works best with " the side bag open" when fine tuning the latch. I liberally sprayed the latch pull outside in front, and double latch in the box with SILICONE spray with ( straw attached to the nozzle) , stick the straw between and behind the pull and spray while working the pull at the same time. To adjust, back off the wheel locking nut a couple turns on the cable, turn the smaller nut in front of that (clockwise to loosen the latch). I fiddled with mine for an hour, but now they open with a firm finger pull. Again! "Clockwise to loosen, easier open" Don't forget to reset the wheel type locking nut.. Good Luck....Bill:thumbup:
No wrenches involved. Hope this helps someone, I finally feel that I have mine properly adjusted now.