PDA

View Full Version : Is the Canadian Trucker convoy affecting Can Am deliveries?

DriftersWay
02-11-2022, 11:01 AM
Does anyone have any info about the trucker convoy in Canada have any any affect on deliveries to the USA?

MudBug
02-11-2022, 11:19 AM
Good question. My Ryker was made in Mexico. What's actually made in Canada? My accessories have come from all over.

Wmoater
02-11-2022, 11:41 AM
Don’t quote me on this but I believe only skidoo (sled) and seadoo (water) are made in Canada. (Can Am) Off-road SXS and wheelers and spyder are Mexico. Mexico’s warehouse and distribution goes through Texas. At least that is how I understand it. Headquarters is in Canada. If I remember there are two places in USA that produce the motors. I believe North Carolina does all the etec and off-road motors. It used to be Illinois or Indiana was the other facility for motor parts.

Website has changed but here are their locations. It looks like Wisconsin now instead of Illinois or Indiana. Website is a little general not specific.

https://www.brp.com/en/about-us/our-locations/manufacturing-facilities.html

ARtraveler
02-11-2022, 12:44 PM
Good question. My Ryker was made in Mexico. What's actually made in Canada? My accessories have come from all over.

Yes, good point. :bowdown:

DriftersWay
02-11-2022, 12:46 PM
Valcourt is our home, where it all started. Today, it plays a strategic role in BRP activities worldwide. Valcourt has become the Centre of expertise for design, research, development, marketing and manufacturing of Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo and Can-Am products, where we can find the Laurent Beaudoin Design and Innovation Center, the Product Development Center, our factory of Ski-Doo snowmobiles and Can-Am Spyder 3-wheel vehicles and our global headquarters.

I visited this factory on their 10 year anniversary. And the Rotax motor comes from Austria.

mecsw500
02-11-2022, 01:00 PM
From that link it seems Spyders are still manufactured in Canada. The Rotax power plants for Spyders coming from Austria. This would match the labels on my 2021 Spyder RT LTD. If this is the case, then shipments, depending upon the port of entry into the United States, may well be delayed.

Perhaps I am just misunderstanding the situation but it does look like there are significant resulting hold ups heading both in and out of Canada through the usual mid west high traffic ports of entry. I'm sure the strike and consequent delays are more complex than just requirements for vaccinations. These things are never as simple as governments or the media make out.

In the current situation, there may of course be production delays not only in the assembly plants, but also including those of parts suppliers or even at Rotax in Austria. Then again there is the global backlog of semi conductor production for automotive type systems, which of course BRP uses to a great extent in our Spyders.

I think all we can do is be patient and hope for best. I'm sure the BRP dealers are as eager to deliver units to us as are BRP to manufacture them and get them into dealers hands. It's no different for most new cars either.

UtahPete
02-11-2022, 01:02 PM
Valcourt is our home, where it all started. Today, it plays a strategic role in BRP activities worldwide. Valcourt has become the Centre of expertise for design, research, development, marketing and manufacturing of Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo and Can-Am products, where we can find the Laurent Beaudoin Design and Innovation Center, the Product Development Center, our factory of Ski-Doo snowmobiles and Can-Am Spyder 3-wheel vehicles and our global headquarters.

I visited this factory on their 10 year anniversary. And the Rotax motor comes from Austria.

That's my understanding also. Supply chain issues, exacerbated by actions such as this blockade, impact all major manufacturing on both sides of the border. In my opinion, of course...

FrogmanDave
02-11-2022, 01:50 PM
Spyders and Ski-Doos are both produced in Canada on the same manufacturing line. The changeover is roughly 6 months for both depending on which riding season is coming up. This blockade will undoubtedly result in further delays.

Joel The Biker
02-11-2022, 02:01 PM
I just ordered a set of PPA wheels. they came from Ontario Canada. I received them today. No problem. Ordered 6 days ago.

bigbadbrucie
02-11-2022, 04:09 PM
Of course the trucker “disagreement” is having an effect on deliveries to the US......both Canadian truckers AND American truckers have at least 3 border crossings totally blocked. jmho

safecracker
02-11-2022, 04:23 PM
There are still a lot of border crossings they can use. New Hampshire, Maine, etc. Just saying.

mecsw500
02-11-2022, 04:49 PM
Well, you are lucky with your wheels.

I've been waiting since the end of November for BRP to diagnose my rear suspension issues and finally after just about everything else under the sun, it appears the compressor is now bad. Probably the other leaks and miss assembly issues killed it. To be fair, testing it has been impossible for the last month or two due to the weather, freezing cold and snow and ice everywhere. Finally it warmed up enough to find the issue and guess what? The part is coming from the warehouse in Ontario but it isn't going anywhere because the trucks aren't going anywhere. I guess everything from spares consignments to new Spyders to heaven knows what else are just not moving anywhere. Ah well, I suspect car parts are doomed to the same wait. It is going to be a long time before the US border agency and the Canadian immigration meets the requirements the truckers want, especially if things get worse again for a while. Don't break anything on your Spyder for a bit. I think I'm going to hunt for a compressor stateside, but apparently they were in short supply before all this.

RayBJ
02-11-2022, 05:38 PM
Maybe you could pay for air freight. :dontknow: Planes rarely stop at the border. Or hire a coyote to get the parts into the US.

Little Blue
02-11-2022, 05:42 PM
:shemademe_smilie: The wife and I think it has to do with more money.

The cost of diesel fuel is a good starting point. So in general is the cost of trucks and running a truck.

It is costing a lot more money to run the business.

Maybe we needed the Rail System? Just a thought.

bigbadbrucie
02-11-2022, 07:02 PM
There are still a lot of border crossings they can use. New Hampshire, Maine, etc. Just saying.
Oh, I totally agree, however when the main crossings are disrupted and the deliveries have to be moved to a different route, it all takes time which translates into late and or disrupted deliveries. That, plus how many deliveries are in a locked position, unable to move either in or out. I’m not saying whether I agree or disagree with those involved, but as for deliveries, you may be waiting a long time.

mecsw500
02-11-2022, 08:06 PM
Maybe you could pay for air freight. :dontknow: Planes rarely stop at the border. Or hire a coyote to get the parts into the US.

There are actually plenty of parts in the US, but all at parts distributors and not at BRP owned subsidiaries. I am not going to pay $400, however, for the part which probably won't fix it anyway, lol.

We will give it a week or two for the weather to warm up and see what happens before I finally talk about returning it with Utah department of consumer affairs (probably staffed by 2 people in a garden hut somewhere in southern Utah but there we go). If it wasn't for my arthritis I'd get my Triumph Trophy back and start again with something else. It has not been a good experience, but on the other hand I like the machine, it's fun to ride.

Oh such is life.

Deanna777
02-11-2022, 09:12 PM

They can use the VT border crossings.

Deanna

Northofthesix
02-12-2022, 04:55 PM
The border disruptions have only been a week or so, so there would not be much effect on deliveries yet .... it does mean that parts going to the factory in Quebec and machines coming back out will be affected, perhaps by a week or two, assuming our Prime Minister decides to actually do something. The rest of the two year Covid run, however, has made such a mess of supply chain already that a week or two hardly makes a ripple.

Wmoater
02-12-2022, 07:55 PM
I called my dealer today to check my status of a part I have been waiting for since October. Today was suppose to be the start of the production for the part and availability in 3 weeks.(per BRP website and dealer warehouse computers) Monday February 14 was suppose to be BRP switch over of assembly lines. Spring order sleds start Monday and the line is shut down that week normally . This year they are running it 2 more weeks. My part is now pushed back 4 weeks till March 11th with expected availability now April 1st. Everything is being pushed back. So trucking has nothing to do with parts delay. BRP sent letters and e-mails to all those who didn’t receive their sleds this year with an additional $500 off next year. That was nice of them accept they raised the higher end and high end sleds close to$1500 this year it looks.

PhillyPod
02-13-2022, 01:58 PM
I called my dealer today to check my status of a part I have been waiting for since October. Today was suppose to be the start of the production for the part and availability in 3 weeks.(per BRP website and dealer warehouse computers) Monday February 14 was suppose to be BRP switch over of assembly lines. Spring order sleds start Monday and the line is shut down that week normally . This year they are running it 2 more weeks. My part is now pushed back 4 weeks till March 11th with expected availability now April 1st. Everything is being pushed back. So trucking has nothing to do with parts delay. BRP sent letters and e-mails to all those who didn’t receive their sleds this year with an additional $500 off next year. That was nice of them accept they raised the higher end and high end sleds close to$1500 this year it looks.

I'd be interested in knowing what part you have been waiting on since October. I ordered a Comfort Seat for my '17RTS in late Sept and STILL nothing. Whenever I check with the dealer through whom I ordered it, they contact BRP and are given a new "Delivery Date", invariably about 2 weeks later. This has been going on for 6 months now! The latest was a date of Feb 10 and when I called Feb 10 now BRP says Feb 18...YEAH, RIGHT! :( I can't wait to see what this new trucker blockade will do to it, or if they will use it as a further excuse!

DriftersWay
02-25-2022, 04:24 PM
Just got word that when I ordered my F3-L it was scheduled to be delivered
end of February + or - 4 weeks. New word is March 28 for delivery.
I can live with that, but they gave me customer hotline number just in case.
I got $1500 worth of parts here I need to install.

GFrog
02-25-2022, 06:25 PM
I wrote to BRP a couple of weeks ago asking if they had an idea as to when 2022 models deliveries would begin and when I should expect mine which was ordered in December. This was their response:

Hello Alain,

Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP with your inquiry regarding your new 2022 Spyder RT Limited.

Please be assured that BRP/Can-Am is working very hard to ensure that all machines/parts are delivered as soon as possible. We realize that delivery times are not ideal and cause frustration, and we are truly sorry for the situation. Like many other companies, we are experiencing supply delays and transportation difficulties, resulting in delays in the delivery of your 2022 Spyder RT Limited.

Since updates on vehicle/parts deliveries are only communicated directly with your dealer, we recommend that you keep in touch with them, and they will get back to you as soon as possible once they have a specific date to communicate to you.

I regret to say that we cannot give out any more information than that here in the customer service department.

Looking forward to help out, let me know if you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to contact us by replying to this email, or you can call us at 1.888.272.9222

Thank you for contacting BRP, Alain, have a nice day,

Churchill A.
Customer Service Representative

Also seems like they don't like customers contacting them directly regarding any type of order status.

Raven
02-25-2022, 08:34 PM
Delivery delays are nothing new.
At the start of Covid I ordered a part for my bike from California, got the tracking number.
Tracked it leaving LA and then it disappeared for three weeks.
Finally got it five weeks after ordering.
At the same time I ordered a part from England, who was out of stock, and had to order from their supplier in Italy.
Received it ten days after ordering.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-26-2022, 08:04 PM
Also seems like they don't like customers contacting them directly regarding any type of order status.
They're not the only one. I called Daikin to ask a technical question about my heat pump system. Had to have model # and serial before my call would be forwarded to a tech rep. Since I didn't have them at hand I quit the call. The only way I got any definitive info on the delivery of a new replacement fan coil unit was the dealer rep forwarded to me an email exchange she had with the distributor with the tracking number. That was after the order had been made two months earlier. I knew when the unit was delivered to the distributor before the distributor rep did!

bigbadbrucie
02-26-2022, 08:26 PM

I don’t know, but I’m thinking that you would get much the same response if you were to call the GM or FORD plants and ask the same question about your specifically ordered truck.

GFrog
02-27-2022, 09:52 AM
I don’t know, but I’m thinking that you would get much the same response if you were to call the GM or FORD plants and ask the same question about your specifically ordered truck.

GM provides an order tracking number so that dealers and their customers can track the build process and delivery.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm-order-tracking/gm-order-event-codes-and-definitions/

Bumble_B
02-27-2022, 04:56 PM
GM provides an order tracking number so that dealers and their customers can track the build process and delivery.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm-order-tracking/gm-order-event-codes-and-definitions/

The GM chat is full of wrong info. GM has stopped giving out status codes to customers because it "was too confusing". My new ride was suppose to be built 2/7 week. On 2/17 I was told it was still suppose to be built on 2/7 but it does not show built yet. For the record it was built on 2/16. Confusing because it is wrong more times than not. Can Am will probably suffer the same logistical nightmare.

Big F
02-28-2022, 09:22 AM
I wrote to BRP a couple of weeks ago asking if they had an idea as to when 2022 models deliveries would begin and when I should expect mine which was ordered in December. This was their response:

Hello Alain,

Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP with your inquiry regarding your new 2022 Spyder RT Limited.

Please be assured that BRP/Can-Am is working very hard to ensure that all machines/parts are delivered as soon as possible. We realize that delivery times are not ideal and cause frustration, and we are truly sorry for the situation. Like many other companies, we are experiencing supply delays and transportation difficulties, resulting in delays in the delivery of your 2022 Spyder RT Limited.

Since updates on vehicle/parts deliveries are only communicated directly with your dealer, we recommend that you keep in touch with them, and they will get back to you as soon as possible once they have a specific date to communicate to you.

I regret to say that we cannot give out any more information than that here in the customer service department.

Looking forward to help out, let me know if you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to contact us by replying to this email, or you can call us at 1.888.272.9222

Thank you for contacting BRP, Alain, have a nice day,

Churchill A.
Customer Service Representative

BRP has had that kind of attitude for many years. they simply flunked CUSTOMER SERVICE 101 in school if they even went to school?
BIG F