PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing The Tail Of The Dragon... any comments or suggestions?

Dannoinmo
02-09-2022, 11:09 AM
I'm thinking of a quick ride from mid-Missouri to The Tail Of The Dragon in NC . .probably in early spring, I'm open to any comments, suggestions . . Thank you

RayBJ
02-09-2022, 11:33 AM
The TOD is in the heart of the best riding in the SE. Be sure to hit the Pigs Trail, Wayah Rd, Cherahola Skyway along the way. Lots of maps of the area. Here's a good place to start: http://www.maggievalleyrides.com/the-rides.html

Personally, I prefer all the roads other than the Dragon for the rideability. Dragon is more 'technical', crowded, and stressful but it's on everyone's Bucket List to do at least once.

Keep your eye on the local news because wash-outs are not uncommon in the spring.

Bartender
02-09-2022, 01:01 PM
I live in Kansas so the most accessible good riding is in Arkansas and Missouri. I note you live in Missouri so your already there. Several years ago, the need to go to ride the TOD was an itch that had to be scratched and so I did that and spent some time riding it and associated roads. To me the TOD doesn't hold a candle to some of the roads in Arkansas and Missouri. No unpleasant memories I just would not ever make that ride again just to ride the Dragon.

Jdr00ejr
02-09-2022, 01:56 PM
Hit it mid week if possible - weekends are the busiest. It's a fun stretch but I also feel it's a bit overhyped. A bit further south is Helen, GA. Blood Mountain which is another stretch of US129 outside of Helen, GA is amazing. I'm hosting a very informal gathering (Richardson Spyder Shop Gathering) in Helen, GA May 11th - 15th. We'll do a day ride up to the Dragon and bike - likely that Thursday.

JayBros
02-09-2022, 02:17 PM
Highly overrated! There are many, many miles with better scenery, less traffic, specifically fewer crotch rocket morons. Cherohala Skyway should not be missed.

ARtraveler
02-09-2022, 03:01 PM
NW Arkansas is a go to destination. We have many roads comparable to the Dragon right here. Look up and order the Arkansas Motorcycle Guide. It is a freebie and has pages and pages of routes to ride. Much closer than the Dragon, and our roads are mostly free of the heavy traffic you will encounter around the Dragon.

Navydad
02-09-2022, 03:07 PM
Lots of great roads there, but if you must (and you must) add TOD to your list than go early morning or late afternoon on a weekday. The road these days is heavily patrolled and due to the number of accidents there isn't much tolerance for speeding or crossing the lines. Don't get upset at the LEO's if you get a driving award. They are tired of picking up bikes and bodies. The crotch rocket crowd can be a pain, but I have found the old guys (like me) on their tourers that think they are on crotch rockets to be a bigger problem. I ride a lot of twisties in W.V. and eastern Ky. and one thing the TOD has going for it is the fact it is paved :clap:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-09-2022, 06:48 PM
Highly overrated! There are many, many miles with better scenery, less traffic, specifically fewer crotch rocket morons. Cherohala Skyway should not be missed.

:agree: .... but my favorites in that area are the " RATTLER " & 129 through the Mark Twain forest down to Peel's ferry ( it's free )...... Mike :thumbup:

pidjones
02-09-2022, 09:53 PM
Mid-week, ride your own ride, don't sight-see, and STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!! It is NOT over-rated, just over-ridden. Tuesday evenings in Knoxville the vintage motorcycle enthusiasts gather at the Time Warp Tea Room on Central Ave. Yes, some of us ride our Spyders to the gathering.

ThreeWheels
02-09-2022, 10:28 PM
I'm thinking of a quick ride from mid-Missouri to The Tail Of The Dragon in NC . .probably in early spring, I'm open to any comments, suggestions . . Thank you

Others have mentioned other roads.
Another ride nearby is The Devils Triangle. Make sure you ride on a Sunday. The other days of the week, the coal trucks from the coal mines will slow you down.

https://devilstriangletn.com/

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

WilcoJunoHotel
02-10-2022, 07:55 AM
As others have noted, avoid the weekends. There is way too much traffic for anyone to enjoy the road. Best time is in the AM, most any week day but Tues-Wed-Thu are best.

If you get down into N. GA, make sure you do Highway 60 and 180 and 197.

blacklightning
02-10-2022, 09:32 AM
I think everyone elses comments have it covered. But yes, it is a must ride road for motorcycle or sports car enthusiast. I just suggest doing it Monday through Thursday. I have ridden that so many times, and on so many vehicles. Just don't get freaked out if someone comes up behind and passes you on a sport bike. In fact, if you don't pull over, then you should expect it. But always check out the other roads in the area. Especially the Foothills Parkway Extension and the Cherohola Skyway. We will be in the area this spring also, but probably taking the convertible up.

Scotts8826
02-10-2022, 12:38 PM
I'm in agreement with most of the previous posting. I rode the TOD so I can check it off the list of roads to ride but it is not my favorite due to crowds and overly energetic potential organ donors. My buddy and I were lucky. It was raining when we showed up. It was midweek the third week of May and Deal's Gap was still packed. The good thing was the rain kept the two wheeler off the road and us two Spyders had the road all to ourselves!

JPster
02-16-2022, 06:51 PM
Just rode a new Ryker in from eastern St. Louis, to middle TN, just about froze to death. Dragon is a must, but some of my favs are Smokey Mountain National Park, blue ridge parkway south of Asheville stopping to eat at the Pisgah inn. If you head to Helen, stop at tallulah falls at least for the over look. Plenty of hidden gems all over, one is at the end of my driveway. Take a tire repair kit, and a first aid, take some friends if you can. I’ve patched a tire in the Dragon stores parking lot. Happy trails!!

BKing
02-16-2022, 09:42 PM
Copperhead Lodge in Blairsville GA is a good base. Plenty of good riding in that area as well.

FINFAN3DP
05-15-2022, 01:38 PM
Mid-week, ride your own ride, don't sight-see, and STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!! It is NOT over-rated, just over-ridden. Tuesday evenings in Knoxville the vintage motorcycle enthusiasts gather at the Time Warp Tea Room on Central Ave. Yes, some of us ride our Spyders to the gathering.

We are doing the Tail of the Dragon on 6/20-22. So we might have to venture out to this gathering, if you are still doing it.

rjinaz86323
05-15-2022, 02:02 PM
A group that I ride with have made 2 trips to Mountain View Arkansas area for riding. I agree, doing the TOD is only for checking a box, Nothing special. Out here in Arizona we have the Devil's Highway (almost 100 miles of nothing but curves/twisties). Last time I rode it I met a total of 25 vehicles for the entire length. Also Wickenburg to Jerome road that will give you all the thrills of the Dragon with a lot less traffic.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-15-2022, 02:45 PM
A group that I ride with have made 2 trips to Mountain View Arkansas area for riding. I agree, doing the TOD is only for checking a box, Nothing special. Out here in Arizona we have the Devil's Highway (almost 100 miles of nothing but curves/twisties). Last time I rode it I met a total of 25 vehicles for the entire length. Also Wickenburg to Jerome road that will give you all the thrills of the Dragon with a lot less traffic.

:agree: .... In the same area of the " D " look for the " Rattler " it's much nicer and without the crowd and Cops ..... Mike :thumbup:

DGoebel
05-15-2022, 04:54 PM
And Remember to Smile for the camera, and get your photo!

A buddy and I did Ch. Skyway, TOD, and DT on the same day passing through from GA to KY. I'll take my '18 back down for the Rattler and others mentioned above. It's a beautiful riding area. And as Blueknight911 Mike just reminded me, it's where I got my last (VERY Expensive ticket for passing a Drivers Ed car in a no passing zone, c'mon he was going 15 mph and no one was coming...):opps:

Pirate
05-15-2022, 09:54 PM
NW Arkansas is a go to destination. We have many roads comparable to the Dragon right here. Much closer than the Dragon, and our roads are mostly free of the heavy traffic you will encounter around the Dragon.

They won't be if you keep mentioning it. :p It is beautiful up there. Years back I lived in So AR and we would vacation in the northern part of the state.