PDA

View Full Version : Another Spyder First

tjfischer
09-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Well, today I did not do much riding. I left Lamar, Colorado, Heading west on US Highway 50; also know as the “Santa Fe Trail”. Slowly the terrain changed for the plains of Colorado into the mountains, and canyons of Colorado. I was just enjoying the ride when I saw a sign that said, “Royal Gorge turn left”, so I did. Wow, I am sure glad that I did. I do not think I have every seen anything like this. It turns out this is the location of the Worlds Highest Suspension Bridge. It crosses the Royal Gorge over the Arkansas River at 1053 ft above sea level. Talk about breathtaking views.

I may not have been the first Spyder rider to get 50,000 miles. I am sure I am the first to cross the world’s highest suspension bridge, on my Spyder not once, but twice. The south entrance to the park was closed. Therefore, I had to double back. While crossing the second time I met a nice couple from San Diego who took my picture on the bridge.

Tonight, I am Salida, Colorado. This is a very nice small town in a small valley, between all the mountains. All the people are very friendly.

Smylinacha
09-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Sounds like an awesome ride! Not sure how well I'd do on something like that though - I realized I have a little fear of height problem. When riding certain places in the mountains of TN, I couldn't look over at the view - it freaked me out being so high up. But sounds like a great time for ya!:thumbup:

kaiser
09-29-2009, 08:45 PM
That's cool! Buckskin Joes is right by there, (John Wayne western movies were filmed there) and the sand dunes, Bishops Castle is down around there somewhere as well (a guy built and is still building his own castle)

jgwoods
09-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Great report! I've been in Lamar and Colorado SPrings, missed out on Canon city and the gorge....maybe next time. Lamar is intersting if you like history- it is the site of a great miners union battle in the early 1900s, gunfire, murders, militias, Rockefellers- them was hard times.

Longlegs
09-29-2009, 08:52 PM
I've been there, the view is awesome. I like the No fishing from bridge signs.

Trickie Dick
09-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Did you see a train running along the river at the bottom of the gorge? You may even see rafters running the river. Beautiful country. :2thumbs:
Dick