PDA

View Full Version : Lifting the RT

Lamonster
09-29-2009, 07:06 PM
If you plan on changing your own oil it sure makes it a lot easyer if you can get it up on stands to work on. Here's a few pics as to where to place the jack and the stands.

I use a 1500 lb motorcycle jack and it lifted the RT no problem.

Back pad is almost directly under the driver foot peg.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=6365

This is where it hits on the frame.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=6366

Place jackstands under a-arms
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=6369
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=6370

Place jackstand under rear shock.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=6371

Extracool
09-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Lamonte, you need my pit, I stand under mine and can get to anything, you should bring the new RT over and do a video of the underneath.:clap:

BeRight
09-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Lamonte, you need my pit, I stand under mine and can get to anything, you should bring the new RT over and do a video of the underneath.:clap:

How about posting a video/pictures of current Spyder underside.

northramp
10-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Lamonster:

How s the withdrawl going ??

Don t know if I could have withstood it...:pray:

Lamonster
10-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Lamonster:

How s the withdrawl going ??

Don t know if I could have withstood it...:pray:
I'm not really having any. My RS feels like a new Spyder to me after being on the RT for 3 weeks. They both have there place in my heart.:doorag:

northramp
10-04-2009, 08:03 PM
You are a stronger man than me Bro..

I would think u would get it back once the factory pulls the data off of your riding , enhances the changes to the production templates and ships it back to u for more telemetry...:yes::spyder2:

Putt-Putt
10-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the pictures on the stands Lamont.

RTVIPER
01-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Is it ok to place jack stands under a-arms? I was told that could possibly damage them.:yikes:

ruthie
01-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Has anyone used the Pit Bull left on their :spyder2:. If so how about pictures or info of placement.

MarkLawson
01-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Has anyone used the Pit Bull left on their :spyder2:. If so how about pictures or info of placement.

I have a Pit Bull and have lifted my RT, but now I have the SpyderPops catalytic converter heat shields on & they appear to hang down too low. I now use car ramps for the front and a floor jack for the rear. Sorry, no pics.

AbNormy
08-10-2012, 07:36 PM
got a harbor freight racing jack, little aluminum job, used it under the center frame just to look at stuff under there. will it hurt to lift it there? hope not...:dontknow: planned to use it this weekend to put my sway bar just got. don't have ramps anymore...

MarkLawson
08-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Update:

I have learned I can use the PitBull lift with SpyderPops Catalytic Converter Shields in place on my RT. I approach from the left side because the left shield only comes forward half as far as the right. This allows me to position the lift further to the rear to get better front/rear balance, making sure the end of the lifting surface does not go all the way to the right side shield. I also place a case of Lipton's diet green tea with citrus (LOVE that stuff) in the frunk for ballast. The rear wheel leaves the floor about 8" after the fronts leave the floor, but I believe that would be expected. Seems to be pretty stable, but you can always use straps to anchor it in place after you've lifted it to the height you plan to use.

I also found that I can lift approaching from the right side by running the lifting surface rails far enough in to be to the inside of the right side heat shield.

Glad to know I can use the lift.

saint999
09-08-2012, 12:11 AM
I saw a few people on video jacking the RT up from the front. Any way of doing this or were my eyes playing tricks on me? I just need to get the front up to replace the shocks.
Thanks
Saint999

NancysToy
09-08-2012, 06:53 AM
I saw a few people on video jacking the RT up from the front. Any way of doing this or were my eyes playing tricks on me? I just need to get the front up to replace the shocks.
Thanks
Saint999
If the SpyderPops BumpSkid is installed, it is possible to lift the Spyder from the front with an ATV jack. That is probably what you saw. A low profile ATV jack works for lifting the Spyder in the center, by the frame, too.

nhoj
09-08-2012, 09:14 AM
I saw a few people on video jacking the RT up from the front.

I noticed that too.

They were using this type of jack...

I believe they were installing shocks. I doubt everyone had the BumpSkid ??

saint999
09-08-2012, 09:18 AM
I noticed that too.

They were using this type of jack...

I believe they were installing shocks. I doubt everyone had the BumpSkid ??

Yeah just read the bumpskid is polyurethane so it wouldn't participate in jacking. There has to be a center frame support I just dont know about.

NancysToy
09-08-2012, 09:48 AM
There is no frame support there except in the center. The BumpSkid stiffens things up and reinforces things, so it allows the jack to lift there more safely. Do so without the BumpSkid at your own risk.

saint999
09-08-2012, 10:06 AM
There is no frame support there except in the center. The BumpSkid stiffens things up and reinforces things, so it allows the jack to lift there more safely. Do so without the BumpSkid at your own risk.

So there is a center support that I just cant see? I have a ATV/Motorcycle jack and just may go in from the side and lift the whole bike off the ground but seems like over kill to lift just the front.

ulflyer
09-08-2012, 06:42 PM
I don't have the bumpskid, and when the Elka gent started to slide the jack under it required a slight lift on each side till it cleared the front plastic. It then went back far enuf to catch the front end of the metal frame that runs underneath. At least thats what it looks like to me. After the Elkas were on, the front sat up an inch or so higher.

I have one of Harbor Freight's low jacks and jack up front and put a couple of wood blocks about 8 in high under the wheel and then do the same with the rear. Usually tho, I don't jack it up just to do an oil/filters change. Takes a little laying on floor.

saint999
09-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks All I did get it up from the side with ATV jack...kind of scary lifting the whole thing like that but the Elkas are in . Will test drive tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Joe

kevorama
09-08-2012, 09:41 PM
I use ramps and an ATV jack to uplift mine. You can place your ramps behind your front wheels and back up onto them, if that's what you need. You can place them in front and pull forward, if you need that room. I placed my under lighting on the sides of my main frame so that I wouldn't destroy them when I used an ATV jack to lift the bike. A little common sense and forethought will save you a ton of troubles.

sinkhole
09-09-2012, 12:13 PM
I use ramps and an ATV jack to uplift mine. You can place your ramps behind your front wheels and back up onto them, if that's what you need. You can place them in front and pull forward, if you need that room.

:agree:

jimnsusie
02-02-2015, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=kevorama;512201]I use ramps and an ATV jack to uplift mine. You can place your ramps behind your front wheels and back up onto them, if that's what you need. You can place them in front and pull forward, if you need that room. I placed my under lighting on the sides of my main frame so that I wouldn't destroy them when I used an ATV jack to lift the bike.

This is what worked for me. When I put the atv jack under neath I also used a couple pieces of wood on top of the jack cross bars with the top one being a small 2x4 to almost match the metal frame center to avoid the plastic sides. I also placed the jack stands inside the front wheels for stability.

bronzeflex42
02-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks for bring back up this thread. I was wondering where is a good place to jack up the :f_spider: to change the rear tire and oil.

pitzerwm
02-27-2015, 03:02 PM

Having added the Bumpskid and had the frunk off a few times, IMO you need to go back (from the front) to catch the bike frame, not just the frunk/bumpskid. There are only 2 bolts (horizontal) holding the frunk on. The 4 across the top are vertical and mine are almost stripped out. Just go back enough to catch the bikes front frame.

waynerho
05-15-2016, 07:44 AM
I have a 2015RT LTD. I just bought the Harbor Freight ATV jack. It won't fit. I'll either need to lift the front a little bit before I use the jack, or I'll have to take the wheels off the jack and lay its frame on the floor. Why doesn't anyone else mention this when they talk about a jack?

Am I seeing suspension sag?

bmwlarry
05-15-2016, 08:08 AM
Simply ride the front of the bike up onto a 2 in. thick piece of wood

waynerho
05-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Simply ride the front of the bike up onto a 2 in. thick piece of wood

That should work. I just don't remember anyone saying "lift the bike, then jack the bike".

Trbayth
05-15-2016, 09:15 AM
I found the same thing with my ST and a Craftsman lift. It's been mentioned in threads before but just in passing.

FTR, I don't need a 2 inch piece of wood. I just ride (or push) the bike up on a couple of pieces of 3/4" plywood and that raises it enough to fit the lift underneath.

Upstater
05-15-2016, 09:23 AM
I have a 2015RT LTD. I just bought the Harbor Freight ATV jack. It won't fit. I'll either need to lift the front a little bit before I use the jack, or I'll have to take the wheels off the jack and lay its frame on the floor. Why doesn't anyone else mention this when they talk about a jack?

Am I seeing suspension sag?

Harbor Freight has a couple of jacks that look similar. One is a little shorter and fits under the Spyder with no problem. I bought mine a while ago and do not remember the product number. Try returning yours. At the store, look at both models and measure the height difference to find the correct model.

Edit: ITEM #61632, the height at the middle of the lifting pad from floor is 4.5"
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129861&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129862&stc=1

waynerho
05-15-2016, 05:27 PM
Other than the fact that the handle on my jack is T-shaped, that looks exactly like the one I bought. But, mine says it's item 60536.

I wonder if there was some subtle change in the design that accounts for the height difference.

Upstater
05-15-2016, 06:28 PM
Other than the fact that the handle on my jack is T-shaped, that looks exactly like the one I bought. But, mine says it's item 60536.

I wonder if there was some subtle change in the design that accounts for the height difference.
Yes, there is a difference. The one I posted is a lower profile. Return yours for the correct item.

Sent using Tapatalk

safecracker
05-15-2016, 06:52 PM
I use the Craftsman. I did find that if the air bag is out of air or really low. I will hit the frame if I try to jack under the frame. I put 30lbs., of air in rear bag and I then have no problem. Hope this helps. Bruce

CapeSpyder
05-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Any pictures of that black lift in action?

Upstater
05-16-2016, 05:17 PM
Any pictures of that black lift in action?

See the pics at the beginning of the thread from Lamonster. Same style lift, different color. If you look under the Spyder, you will see the main frame (square tube) running back to the rear shock mount. Place the lift a hair forward of the shock mount on the frame. It will wobble a little until you get the jack stands placed (see pics above).

CapeSpyder
05-16-2016, 06:00 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160516/6016706863f8098494475f549e987d56.jpg
Went and took a few pics

Sent From my Note 5

waynerho
05-17-2016, 07:49 AM
Yes, there is a difference. The one I posted is a lower profile. Return yours for the correct item.

Sent using Tapatalk

This is ridiculous! The jacks look exactly the same. I didn't even realize there was a different jack.

Did you know to buy that model in particular, or did you just get lucky?

CapeSpyder
05-17-2016, 08:07 AM
I have the same jack in red, low profile, I believe it said it on the box

Upstater
05-17-2016, 08:11 AM
This is ridiculous! The jacks look exactly the same. I didn't even realize there was a different jack.

Did you know to buy that model in particular, or did you just get lucky?

This has been discussed before, so the take-away for me was to measure the clearance needed before I went to H.F. When I got to the store, i measured to make sure I had the right model/item. By providing the correct item number here I was trying to save some steps for folks.

waynerho
05-17-2016, 09:41 AM
This has been discussed before, so the take-away for me was to measure the clearance needed before I went to H.F. When I got to the store, i measured to make sure I had the right model/item. By providing the correct item number here I was trying to save some steps for folks.

I'm sorry, I didn't see the part number discussed in the past. I did search this forum before purchasing.

I did measure before I purchased. I suspect the display sample was not the same model that was in the box below. They all sell for the same price.
A person would have to enter the store armed with the various model numbers to know even to look for a specific model.

Upstater
05-17-2016, 09:56 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't see the part number discussed in the past. I did search this forum before purchasing.

I did measure before I purchased. I suspect the display sample was not the same model that was in the box below. They all sell for the same price.
A person would have to enter the store armed with the various model numbers to know even to look for a specific model.

No worries. There is a ton of information discussed here and it can be difficult to pull it all together sometimes. Many times it can be a blurb in an unrelated topic.

You are absolutely correct, it is very confusing. The price is the same for multiple item numbers. A common issue with H.F. I had the wrong item in the cart and discovered it while I was waiting in line. This from a guy that thought he knew what he was doing. The store had just stacked them all over and I was more focused on the best looking box in the pile.

steriltech
05-18-2016, 07:17 PM
just installed your highway pegs love them but man the right side gets hot!!!!! What's your solution for this?????

pegasus1300
05-18-2016, 07:30 PM
Steriltech which model/year Spyder you have? If a pre 2014 RT look into getting Spyderpops heat blocker for the right side. It makes a big difference.

For others having trouble with clearance I got a set of auto ramps and run the Spyder RT part way up then using a an auto jack bring it up level and slide a 3rd ramp under the rear wheel. This holds it very securely and I can change my oil very easily.

bmwlarry
05-19-2016, 08:14 AM
Not trying to hijack thread this post I just put up is very relevant!!

My Pos (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?93546-A-vastly-improved-way-to-lift-the-Spyder-%85&p=1131690#post1131690)t

Tycott
02-07-2017, 08:50 PM
I have been researching this lift from Quasar Project Ltd. Here is the Youtube video link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIoQuzc5sn0&index=1&list=PLKVsQJUbYw_LAexjCGat9qamZ1oORT3xo

Masterscout639
02-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Steriltech which model/year Spyder you have? If a pre 2014 RT look into getting Spyderpops heat blocker for the right side. It makes a big difference.

For others having trouble with clearance I got a set of auto ramps and run the Spyder RT part way up then using a an auto jack bring it up level and slide a 3rd ramp under the rear wheel. This holds it very securely and I can change my oil very easily.

I had this thought to raise my 2012 Spyder RT. I purchased an automotive ramp where the rear ramp portions can be removed. I ride up, remove the ramps, than use a floor jack under the rear shock area. This lets me do ANYTHING I want to underneath or at the rear wheel.

Brentc
02-14-2017, 06:02 PM
I have been researching this lift from Quasar Project Ltd. Here is the Youtube video link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIoQuzc5sn0&index=1&list=PLKVsQJUbYw_LAexjCGat9qamZ1oORT3xo

Keep us updated on your research, that looks like a cool lift. Looked at their web site, what would the total cost be, minus shipping, I'm close enough to go pick one up if I had to.

Dusty
03-25-2017, 11:19 AM
I have an air operated lift table, that I purchased when I still had a motorcycle. I purchased it with the side extensions to accommodate atv's (I also use it for my riding mower). The extensions are mounted on two pipes, so I installed longer pipes to accommodate the extra width of my Spyder. I had to remove the front wheel clamp because of the front of my Spyder. The lift table just is long enough, but it works great.

wd8ajj
11-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Keep us updated on your research, that looks like a cool lift. Looked at their web site, what would the total cost be, minus shipping, I'm close enough to go pick one up if I had to.

No prices on all. Just the vid?

ARtraveler
11-11-2017, 03:09 PM
:oldpost: Originally posted in 2009. Many of us have been caught in this situation. :roflblack::roflblack: