PDA

View Full Version : Problem with the front bearing/hub..maybe

jabba11
09-29-2009, 01:31 PM
So I finally pulled the tire off and took a good look at the clicking noise my front end was making but also I wanted to see if there was a problem with the brake dragging or something as this same side has developed a squeak/squeal at low speeds. After raising it up I found that it seemed that this one side was defintely tougher to spin, so I pulled off the brake caliper and the rotor to take a closer look. The only thing I noticed was that the hub didnt seem to be centered in the bearing. Now I aint no dummy and it seemes ot me if this was true the wheel would have a terrible vibration. The only other option I could think of is that the outside of the hub where it meets against the bearing isnt true. The hub itself does not appear to be machined on the outside much. I cannot find any sign of heat or stress or any issue regarding it. To get the hub off is a laborious process and while I dont want it to fail on me at 70 mph I am considering putting it back togther and just riding it till something bad happens that can be identified. ANy ideas from anyone? Also i will try to add some pictures tomrrow to show what I am talking about.

tjfischer
09-29-2009, 07:56 PM
So I finally pulled the tire off and took a good look at the clicking noise my front end was making but also I wanted to see if there was a problem with the brake dragging or something as this same side has developed a squeak/squeal at low speeds. After raising it up I found that it seemed that this one side was defintely tougher to spin, so I pulled off the brake caliper and the rotor to take a closer look. The only thing I noticed was that the hub didnt seem to be centered in the bearing. Now I aint no dummy and it seemes ot me if this was true the wheel would have a terrible vibration. The only other option I could think of is that the outside of the hub where it meets against the bearing isnt true. The hub itself does not appear to be machined on the outside much. I cannot find any sign of heat or stress or any issue regarding it. To get the hub off is a laborious process and while I dont want it to fail on me at 70 mph I am considering putting it back togther and just riding it till something bad happens that can be identified. ANy ideas from anyone? Also i will try to add some pictures tomrrow to show what I am talking about.

This is easiest way to check to see if you have a bad Hub/Bearings.

1. Jack up the Bike
2. Grab the tire at the 12:00 and 6:00 position. Try to wiggle the tire. Work your way aroung the tire a few times. If the is no wiggle you are good. If you have some wiggle, you may have some bad bearings.

Fro what you describe, It sounds like your calipers might be hanging a bit. The question is, did you turn the hub with the tire on or off? You will get a better sense if the tire is on.

jabba11
09-29-2009, 09:01 PM
yeah I checked the play and didnt sense anything wrong there. I did it with the tire on and off and for some reason I could only get the squeal/squeak when the tire was on. i thought it might be a dragging brake too but this wheel hub seems 'tighter" or tougher to turn than the other side. i am going to mess with a bit more tommorrow take pictures etc then report more on what I find.

NancysToy
09-29-2009, 09:18 PM
yeah I checked the play and didnt sense anything wrong there. I did it with the tire on and off and for some reason I could only get the squeal/squeak when the tire was on. i thought it might be a dragging brake too but this wheel hub seems 'tighter" or tougher to turn than the other side. i am going to mess with a bit more tommorrow take pictures etc then report more on what I find.
Tighter or tougher to turn can also be in the brake. Dust build-up, hung up caliper, insufficient lube on pins. Can easily happen on one side and not the other. Can I ask why you have not taken it to the dealer if you suspect a mechanical problem? We are all still under warranty.

jabba11
09-29-2009, 09:28 PM
100 miles away is th ebiggest reason. Two jobs and college football take up all my free time also LOL. If I feel like the problem is serious i will eventually trailer it down there. I am monitoring it for now. I will also be honest with you after some experiences I have already had at the dealership I bought it from I am hesitant to allow ANY dealership to touch my bike. I mean if the #1 BRP dealership in the country puts the wrong crush washer on your bike well.... I plan next time to take it to a different dealer and give them a shot but the reality is its so far away I will most likely only go if and when the bike is undriveable (so hopefully never!).

jabba11
09-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Well ok I too the whole wheel down to the hub couldnt find anything. i took some pictures of it, cleaned the sensor, checked the sensor clearence with a feeler gauge as the fronts are a differnet setting than the rear per the manual. I checked and cleaned the sensor plate and rotor. CHecked the brake pads. Rreassembled and torqued all settings per the manaul. While i had teh bike up i adjusted the shocks up a notch becasue I have been wanting to do that. Started up the bike, drove it aorund, bith th eclick and the squeal i have been experincing...gone. Drove 20 miles to work...still no click or squeal:dontknow:. I wouldnt be surprised if one or both come back eventually. I sprayed down the shock with BRP lube as per the manaul when adjusting the shocks. maybe some got on the rotor and made a difference. I have lots of therioes about what could have casued the noises. Too inlcude improper or loosend bolts on either the brake caliper or the wheels themselves. What you might do folks is lossen off your lug nuts then readjust to proper torque settings (77ft lbs I think it was but check for sure). Here you can if you look see the difference in what I was speaking too if you look at where the hub meets the bearing. The gap between the two changes as you rotate th ehub. Not sure if this is normal but there is no vibration or heat or antyihgn as a result.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=530&pictureid=6415
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=530&pictureid=6414
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=530&pictureid=6413