PDA

View Full Version : I got the Pre production Blues

Lamonster
09-29-2009, 10:57 AM
I changed the oil in my RT yesterday and all was fine till I went to start it. It started just fine but it through a low oil pressure code. That's not a big deal either as it did have low oil pressure on start up. The problem is the code should cleared itself once I did have good oil pressure, well mine didn't. :sour:

So I call BRP and we tried a couple of things and the code still wouldn't clear. I got a call today that they are sending a truck down on Friday to pick up the RT and take it back to Canada so they can put it back on the production line and do all the updates that needed to be done but couldn't easily be done in the field.

I know this may sound bad to you folks that have already ordered the RT but this really is a good thing. It's better for these issues to show up now in these demo units rather than after the customer has it in their hands. I don't know if this is going to hold up the production units or not but I'm sure BRP will want to make sure everything is taken care of before they are released to the Dealers.

To say the least I am a little bit bummed but now I can work on getting some more miles on my Spyder. :doorag:

I have a post to make on how to change your oil Lamonster style without removing all the panels but after that I won't have much to say unless you ask a question that I can cover from my 2500 miles so far.

NancysToy
09-29-2009, 11:38 AM
I am sorry that you ran into problems and they had to come to take your toy away for a while. I'm sure you will miss it. On the other hand, as a buyer, I am kind of glad to see you guys finding a few snags. I know Fred Rau has report a few, too. I would love to have these issues all worked out before our PEs start to be produced, soon. If the Elite RT5 ride the wheels off these things, we all will be better off. Thanks for your sacrifice on our behalf.

DynamoBT
09-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Are you going to get the pre-production RT-S back to ride it for the full period of testing?

Lamonster
09-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Are you going to get the pre-production RT-S back to ride it for the full period of testing?
:dontknow:

Bersquack
09-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Bummer. At least you got it for 2500 miles!

Questions
09-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Hey Lamontster,

You're correct, that is NOT bad news.

Part of my decision to purchase a new, built from the ground up model was BRP's method of placing five of the RT-S models in the hands of "real" testers...not just the motorcycle magazine writers who will put a few hundred miles and then compare it to an unrelated bike. This is an innovative and an efficient method of finding bugs.

It's much cheaper for any Manufacturer to find and address bugs or issues before they go into full production than after a few thousand of them are in the hands of the customers.

Sorry you'll be without the RT-S, but thank you for taking the time to deliver the straight scoop. Hey, nothing's perfect...but it's good to see a Manufacturer that want's to know what's wrong before they ship the final version.

My only question, is: Did you have any Oil Pressure issues when you performed the 600 mile service?

SLO RYDER
09-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Glad you enjoyed your brief stint on the new RT, reminds me of that old song,
"She will have fun fun fun til her daddy takes the T-Bird away" Except in your case "Lamonster had fun fun fun til BRP took the RT away" :ohyea::ohyea::(

Hope they return it to you for more testing.

Sure wished I could have made your BarBQue sounds like all had a great time.

Mike

M2Wild
09-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Better get them to give you an extension on your "hand-back" time limt. :popcorn:

Smylinacha
09-29-2009, 07:58 PM
That's a bummer! But I'm glad you were one of the guys testing it because it will help a number of people here who put down the cashola for the production units. Git er done and fixed before they roll out! And you get to ride your Spyder again!:2thumbs:

Roaddog2
09-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Bummer sorry hope they get back to you soon :ani29:

BumbleBee
09-29-2009, 09:12 PM
So sorry, what a bummer. :gaah:

This is really not bad news. Better to get all the bugs worked out now, before they make mine and many other RT'S.

I hope you get it back soon. :2thumbs:

michaels cycle
09-29-2009, 10:27 PM
sooooo....... Can we assume full production of the RT hasn't started yet???

Seems strange seeing the dealers are expecting the RT in showrooms in November 2009.

Also, way hasn't something like this shown up on the earlier RS Spyders, because, it is the same power plant right????

GaryTheBadger
09-30-2009, 07:09 AM
The BRP Brochure says the RS holds 4.5 liters of oil, but the RT holds 3.5 liters. Isn't it the same engine? What's different...the size of the oil sump? Is the brochure wrong?

NancysToy
09-30-2009, 07:14 AM
The BRP Brochure says the RS holds 4.5 liters of oil, but the RT holds 3.5 liters. Isn't it the same engine? What's different...the size of the oil sump? Is the brochure wrong?
From Lamont's pictures, it appears to be the size of the oil tank.

Lamonster
09-30-2009, 07:23 AM
When I changed oil in the RT it took all four quarts and the oil was half way on the cross hatch marks.

sooooo....... Can we assume full production of the RT hasn't started yet???

Seems strange seeing the dealers are expecting the RT in showrooms in November 2009.

Also, way hasn't something like this shown up on the earlier RS Spyders, because, it is the same power plant right????
I don't know how fast they can move on these things but I haven't heard if there will be any delays on production units or not. Those units may not have these issues. :dontknow:

The power plant is the same but the monitoring system is much more complex. The RS has 400 lines of code to refer to and the RT has 400,000 lines of code. :shocked:

That's a bummer! But I'm glad you were one of the guys testing it because it will help a number of people here who put down the cashola for the production units. Git er done and fixed before they roll out! And you get to ride your Spyder again!:2thumbs:
The real bummer is I won't be coming up to see you guys on the RT in a few weeks as planned. :gaah:

The big question is Did they fix the Oil in the Air Box problem. My 2008 SE5 has the oil collection Mod to keep the oil out of the Air Box but I put about 500 miles a week on it and empty the filter once a week.
When I had the panels off I didn't see any sign of oil in the airbox. I did here from one of the techs that they are going to be working on solving that problem next on the RS.

Glad you enjoyed your brief stint on the new RT, reminds me of that old song,
"She will have fun fun fun til her daddy takes the T-Bird away" Except in your case "Lamonster had fun fun fun til BRP took the RT away" :ohyea::ohyea::(

Hope they return it to you for more testing.

Sure wished I could have made your BarBQue sounds like all had a great time.

Mike
The song fits perfect but I'm still having fun on my RS :ohyea:

Hey Lamontster,

You're correct, that is NOT bad news.

Part of my decision to purchase a new, built from the ground up model was BRP's method of placing five of the RT-S models in the hands of "real" testers...not just the motorcycle magazine writers who will put a few hundred miles and then compare it to an unrelated bike. This is an innovative and an efficient method of finding bugs.

It's much cheaper for any Manufacturer to find and address bugs or issues before they go into full production than after a few thousand of them are in the hands of the customers.

Sorry you'll be without the RT-S, but thank you for taking the time to deliver the straight scoop. Hey, nothing's perfect...but it's good to see a Manufacturer that want's to know what's wrong before they ship the final version.

My only question, is: Did you have any Oil Pressure issues when you performed the 600 mile service?

We were not told that we had to do a 600 mile service. My unit had 400 miles on it when I got it and I was way over 600 miles by time I got home with it. The oil looked pretty good near as I could tell when I changed it and talking to the tech I'm the only one that has had this problem. Luck of the draw I guess.

bjt
09-30-2009, 08:28 AM
You were supposed to be trading it in for the SE5 version anyways, right? Is that plan changed?

3wheeldemon
09-30-2009, 08:33 AM
...The power plant is the same but the monitoring system is much more complex. The RS has 400 lines of code to refer to and the RT has 400,000 lines of code. :shocked:...

Sounds odd, would you confirm that, please?

3WD

Lamonster
09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Sounds odd, would you confirm that, please?

3WD
Confirm what? :dontknow:

Lamonster
09-30-2009, 08:46 AM
You were supposed to be trading it in for the SE5 version anyways, right? Is that plan changed?

I was told that the SE was not ready to be swapped either. Sounds like they will be updating all the units.

3wheeldemon
09-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Confirm what? :dontknow:

Sorry, I was not clear. Either the 400 or the 400,000 number looks odd to me, especially the later #. The capacity of a microprocessor needed to run such a program exceeds what is normally installed in vehicles.:dontknow:

3WD

Lamonster
09-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Sorry, I was not clear. Either the 400 or the 400,000 number looks odd to me, especially the later #. The capacity of a microprocessor needed to run such a program exceeds what is normally installed in vehicles.:dontknow:

3WD
This is what we were told and it was repeated several times afterwards by the BRP reps.

3wheeldemon
09-30-2009, 09:15 AM
This is what we were told and it was repeated several times afterwards by the BRP reps.

Wow! Thanks. I guess I am outdated. I live near NASA and remember one of my neighbours bragging about the software of the Space Shuttle having 400,000 lines of code:

"The Software of the Space Shuttle (http://gadgetopia.com/post/6814)

They Write the Right Stuff (http://www.fastcompany.com/node/28121/print?): Fascinating article on the software that controls the space shuttle. The level of code quality is astonishing.

This software never crashes. It never needs to be re-booted. This software is bug-free. It is perfect, as perfect as human beings have achieved. Consider these stats : the last three versions of the program — each 420,000 lines long-had just one error each. The last 11 versions of this software had a total of 17 errors. Commercial programs of equivalent complexity would have 5,000 errors."
But that is old technology I guess. With today's computers that number is probably not that big.:thumbup:

3WD

BeRight
09-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Wow! Thanks. I guess I am outdated. I live near NASA and remember one of my neighbours bragging about the software of the Space Shuttle having 400,000 lines of code:

"The Software of the Space Shuttle (http://gadgetopia.com/post/6814)

They Write the Right Stuff (http://www.fastcompany.com/node/28121/print?): Fascinating article on the software that controls the space shuttle. The level of code quality is astonishing.
This software never crashes. It never needs to be re-booted. This software is bug-free. It is perfect, as perfect as human beings have achieved. Consider these stats : the last three versions of the program — each 420,000 lines long-had just one error each. The last 11 versions of this software had a total of 17 errors. Commercial programs of equivalent complexity would have 5,000 errors."
But that is old technology I guess. With today's computers that number is probably not that big.:thumbup:

3WD

I am an retired avionics engineer/program manager having done both hardware and software design and management for equipment used in modern aircraft. The last aircraft I worked on, F-22 Raptor, and it has millions of lines of code (ok maybe more than that if you count every minor sub-system).

Spyder lines of code: My guess is that somewhere along the line of talking about the number of lines of code, extra digits where added - 4K becomes 40K which becomes 400K-especially when passed from one sales person to another. At least that is the way it worked in my industry.

Taking the pilot out of the loop or in our case taking the rider out of the loop does require allot of complex software.

Modern machine designs are taking more and more control away from user in order to protect the safety of the user. The Spyder is one of these modern machines.

Lamonster
09-30-2009, 11:00 AM
I just loaded the Spyder in the back of a big truck and guess what, the code cleared itself half way down my driveway. :gaah: Guess I should have just drove it to start with. :sour:

Dwight
09-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Who know's,:dontknow: with all of the code in these things maybe it decided it would rather be moving under it's own power than riding in the back of somebodies truck!!:clap:

Dwight

Smylinacha
09-30-2009, 01:24 PM
The real bummer is I won't be coming up to see you guys on the RT in a few weeks as planned. :gaah:

Are you coming up on yours though?

Smylinacha
09-30-2009, 01:25 PM
I just loaded the Spyder in the back of a big truck and guess what, the code cleared itself half way down my driveway. :gaah: Guess I should have just drove it to start with. :sour:

:yikes:

3wheeldemon
09-30-2009, 02:17 PM

You were riding it to hard and activated the "ET go home" sorry, "RT go home" code :roflblack:

3WD

Lamonster
09-30-2009, 02:45 PM
iphone 3G-S video
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

3wheeldemon
09-30-2009, 03:02 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:g2vSjINaF2_E0M:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_P3pyPRRXeYM/RovCkxDGalI/AAAAAAAAABA/KiqCcZCgLs0/s400/Boy%2Bin%2BShane%2Bmovie.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_P3pyPRRXeYM/RovCkxDGalI/AAAAAAAAABA/KiqCcZCgLs0/s400/Boy%2Bin%2BShane%2Bmovie.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.deepsouthrunning.blogspot.com/&usg=__lNimFr7kU3zlf7P5jCOXTeWkIdY=&h=400&w=400&sz=11&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=g2vSjINaF2_E0M:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dshane%2Bhorse%2Bmovie%26hl%3Den%26rlz %3D1G1GGLQ_ENUS313%26um%3D1)
Come back Shane! Shane!

Big Arm
09-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Here's hopeing they bring it back to you real soon :2thumbs:

Smylinacha
09-30-2009, 05:47 PM
iphone 3G-S video
YouTube - Loading RT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8fv7Qb8Sn4)

Very Sad! :(

BeRight
09-30-2009, 06:00 PM
iphone 3G-S video
YouTube - Loading RT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8fv7Qb8Sn4)

Man your video brought tears to my eyes - I feel your pain:(

NEWARKSPYDER
09-30-2009, 06:24 PM
:spyder: BUMMER !!!!!! :chat:

rnet
10-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Are you coming up on yours though?intriguing minds need to know. If you get up here I'll take you through Hawk's Nest and a few other cool sites in the Catskills and then to deliver you to Smylinacha.

Lamonster
10-02-2009, 09:10 AM
intriguing minds need to know. If you get up here I'll take you through Hawk's Nest and a few other cool sites in the Catskills and then to deliver you to Smylinacha.
Really not sure what I'm going to do now. It's a wait and see game.

smokster
10-02-2009, 09:38 AM
So did you keep it or is it still going back?

tatt2r
10-02-2009, 09:41 AM
do you have any idea when you are getting it back???

Lamonster
10-02-2009, 10:16 AM
So did you keep it or is it still going back?

It went back. There were other updates that needed to get done too.

do you have any idea when you are getting it back???

Not really. Last I heard was it won't be ready for Biketoberfest. At this point all I can do is wait and see. Right now three of the five are back at the factory.

NancysToy
10-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Right now three of the five are back at the factory.
Wow!!!

michaels cycle
10-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Right now three of the five are back at the factory.

WOW +2

And that's the factory, not a dealership.:(

Makes one wonder @ $22.500 retail avenge cost for the three models w/o the trailer, maybe BRP should postpone production and called the new RT a 2011.

I know for sure they'll get the bugs worked out in time, but having that amount of coins invested in something so new, and working both with BRP and their service dealers? :dontknow: I wish them luck.

Smylinacha
10-02-2009, 03:19 PM
It went back. There were other updates that needed to get done too.

Not really. Last I heard was it won't be ready for Biketoberfest. At this point all I can do is wait and see. Right now three of the five are back at the factory.

Wow! 3 of the 5??? For general maintenance or actual problems? Inquiring minds wanna know :popcorn:

Lamonster
10-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Wow! 3 of the 5??? For general maintenance or actual problems? Inquiring minds wanna know :popcorn:
For factory updates. I guess all 5 will be back at the factory at some point. They need to get them on the production line for these updates.

Smylinacha
10-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Wonder why your code cleared up by itself?

I see my pic sitting on the RT in Gatlinburg on your brp blog. now I gotta figure out do I like myself on the RT or the Streetglide better? Decisions, Decisions..... I do like my Spyder though - Why can't I just own ALL of them!:2thumbs:

NancysToy
10-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Wonder why your code cleared up by itself?

I see my pic sitting on the RT in Gatlinburg on your brp blog. now I gotta figure out do I like myself on the RT or the Streetglide better? Decisions, Decisions..... I do like my Spyder though - Why can't I just own ALL of them?:2thumbs:
Careful...that was the exact question that got me started! :joke:

Smylinacha
10-02-2009, 08:37 PM
HDX and I discussed it tonight - I can't do it - just got more goodies from Magic Man - I ordered the adjustable foot brackets and the cruise assist. Didn't install yet - both been busy w/ work.

So once I get those on, I'll be comfy - no more dangling! And no more cramped throttle hand. Throttle rocker worked well but I'd like to take my hands completely off both bars and still move at a decent clip. Then maybe I can pull an Indian Larry now and then, stand up on my seat with no hands!:joke:

Next will be tunes but that will be in the summer - waiting for something better out there to come along - maybe it will.

I'd rather own my Spyder than trade it in with the note I have on it. So maybe by 2012 it will be time. Just so hard seeing new toys - I'll still play lotto and hope though - now that would be cool!