PDA

View Full Version : Remember when they made great Western's

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-20-2021, 01:43 AM
I have always been fond of western movie's .... and they make them less and less nowadays .... I just watched a new one " 1883 " .... ( on Paramount network ) ... It tells the story of how " Yellowstone " ( also Paramount TV ) and the Dutton family began .... It's definitely not for children, it's a Western for Adults ..... enjoy .... Mike .... PS .. Sam Elliot is the star ..... :thumbup:

cptjam
12-20-2021, 02:25 AM
I saw it too, and enjoyed it. We are 10 year Nevadans, and just got some property in Montana. I like the old westerns, too! When we travel, Grit TV is almost always available. I tend to watch and learn.

Little Blue
12-20-2021, 05:31 AM
:agree: Great Western movies are the best. Old and some of the New. (L,V).

To each person and the best choice for your entertainment. I love the B and W the best. ...:thumbup:

Saluda
12-20-2021, 06:32 AM
Have to check that out, we're heavily addicted to Yellowstone.

wyliec
12-20-2021, 08:29 AM

Yellowstone is one of the best current tv series. I didn’t watch 1883 yet. I’ll give it a shot.

spyder01
12-20-2021, 09:55 AM
I like old westerns but I havent seen Yellowstone yet. Used to watch the Rifleman a lot.

ATGATTER
12-20-2021, 11:57 AM
Count me in.
My fav? - Once Upon A Time In The West - Charles Bronson, Jason Robarts, Claudia Cardinale and Henry Fonda ( playing a bad guy beautifully )

Navydad
12-20-2021, 12:23 PM
Count me in.
My fav? - Once Upon A Time In The West - Charles Bronson, Jason Robarts, Claudia Cardinale and Henry Fonda ( playing a bad guy beautifully )

:agree:

I like the old Clint Eastwood stuff as well. We watch Yellowstone and saw 1883 last night :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
12-20-2021, 01:11 PM
1883 sounds like a good "go to" movie.

We also like old westerns. Compared to some of the stuff being shown on TV these days.

On our cable network we get a channel called INSP TV. It is ALL western movies and western sitcoms. Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, Rifleman, etc. On Saturday and Sunday evenings (prime time) they show full length western features. You can get plenty of the Duke, and many of the older black & white westerns.

wyliec
12-20-2021, 01:52 PM

I like the old Clint Eastwood stuff as well. We watch Yellowstone and saw 1883 last night :2thumbs:

The latest (western) Clint Eastwood movie is not bad.

wyliec
12-20-2021, 02:01 PM

Kayce (on Yellowstone) is the new Clint Eastwood.;)

2dogs
12-20-2021, 02:03 PM
Black and whites were/are the best, still. :thumbup:

Knizar
12-20-2021, 02:27 PM
I have always been fond of western movie's .... and they make them less and less nowadays .... I just watched a new one " 1883 " .... ( on Paramount network ) ... It tells the story of how " Yellowstone " ( also Paramount TV ) and the Dutton family began .... It's definitely not for children, it's a Western for Adults ..... enjoy .... Mike .... PS .. Sam Elliot is the star ..... :thumbup:

My favorite " Lonesome Dove ", the series. Many great actors and was more realistic than most.

redrazor
12-20-2021, 02:45 PM
I like old westerns but I havent seen Yellowstone yet.Used to watch the Rifleman a lot.

:agree: We still watch The Virginian nightly; Love watching the really old black and white Westerns Like Red River, and all the 40's and 50's John Wayne movies.
'73 Winchester is still one of the best!! :firstplace: :yes: YIKES!! :yikes: How could I forget my ALL-TIME favorite: Lonesome Dove!?!

canamjhb
12-20-2021, 02:54 PM
A lot of like-minded folks here. Love westerns. Lonesome Dove was great. I spend a lot of evenings on the Grit channel. One series I'm currently watching for the 2nd time is McLeod's Daughters. Not a true "western" unless you count Australia. Some of the very best character acting I have seen. Great series and very addictive..... Jim

Knizar
12-20-2021, 03:13 PM
A lot of like-minded folks here. Love westerns. Lonesome Dove was great. I spend a lot of evenings on the Grit channel. One series I'm currently watching for the 2nd time is McLeod's Daughters. Not a true "western" unless you count Australia. Some of the very best character acting I have seen. Great series and very addictive..... Jim

and "Quigley Down Under" Tom Sellick always a good western style actor.

Dmetcalf
12-20-2021, 03:24 PM
The wife & I are addicted to Yellowstone and now are enjoying 1883 too ..!!! Good stuff..!

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-20-2021, 04:40 PM
1883 sounds like a good "go to" movie.

We also like old westerns. Compared to some of the stuff being shown on TV these days.

On our cable network we get a channel called INSP TV. It is ALL western movies and western sitcoms. Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, Rifleman, etc. On Saturday and Sunday evenings (prime time) they show full length western features. You can get plenty of the Duke, and many of the older black & white westerns.

Well " 1883 " is an on-going TV series , but of " movie " quality. Meaning they are spending a lot of money making it ..... Mike :thumbup:

wyliec
12-20-2021, 07:40 PM
Mike,

Did you notice Tom Hanks in the second episode?

Saluda
12-20-2021, 09:28 PM
Well " 1883 " is an on-going TV series , but of " movie " quality. Meaning they are spending a lot of money making it ..... Mike :thumbup:

Same as with Yellowstone, you can really tell.

canamjhb
12-20-2021, 11:50 PM
I watched the Premier episode of 1883 this evening. I don't have any pay TV apps but I did get the first episode streaming on YouTube. Anybody know how often new episodes come out? Or, am I one and done on YouTube..... Jim

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-21-2021, 12:12 AM
I watched the Premier episode of 1883 this evening. I don't have any pay TV apps but I did get the first episode streaming on YouTube. Anybody know how often new episodes come out? Or, am I one and done on YouTube..... Jim

I have " DISH " basic .... and I get the Paramount channel .... I think " 1883 " is going to be a weekly show like " Yellowstone " .... Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-21-2021, 12:15 AM
Mike,

Did you notice Tom Hanks in the second episode?

I haven't seen it yet ..... Tom Hanks did a very good western earlier this year . ...... " News of the World " ..... Mike :thumbup:

pegasus1300
12-21-2021, 01:21 AM
Never seen Yellowstone, but I did just get thru watching "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon"

wyliec
12-21-2021, 07:23 AM
I haven't seen it yet ..... Tom Hanks did a very good western earlier this year . ...... " News of the World " ..... Mike :thumbup:

If you liked the 1st episode, you're going to love the 2nd.

Raven
12-21-2021, 09:14 AM
My vote goes to both versions of "Stagecoach".
The first one with John Wayne and the second with Slim Pickins .

Lew L
12-21-2021, 12:52 PM

+1 Same here. Looking for Yellowstone whiskey

Lew L

UtahPete
12-21-2021, 02:47 PM
Actually, I think the acting, directing, on-location filmography are all much better the last 10 years or so. The scripts, character development are also more nuanced and richer. Spaghetti westerns and one-dimensional characters were okay back in the day, but ...

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-21-2021, 03:56 PM
If you liked the 1st episode, you're going to love the 2nd.

:thumbup::clap::clap::clap:

Plarimer
12-21-2021, 05:22 PM

Starting with stage coach and ending with the shootist.