PDA

View Full Version : CVT Transmission behaviour Questions - is this normal??

boone
12-19-2021, 07:51 PM
Hello,

I bought my Ryker Rally used and rode it for the first time yesterday. It has about 2,300 miles. I've never ridden anything with a CVT and I have a couple of questions about the way the transmission behaves. When I shift from forward to reverse or vice versa, there is a half second delay before the transmission engages and moves the bike. This wouldn't be too odd by itself except for the second thing. When moving the bike from a stop, I have to get the RPMs to build a bit before the bike moves. I equate this to having to rev a manual motorcycle a bit before you let out the clutch and get moving.

If this is normal behavior, so be it. Otherwise, I guess I am in for a trip to the shop before its riding season again. I appreciate any insight.

Peter Aawen
12-19-2021, 07:57 PM
That sounds perfectly normal! :thumbup:

See the Sig Line below... :ohyea:

BajaRon
12-20-2021, 08:38 AM
Hello,

I bought my Ryker Rally used and rode it for the first time yesterday. It has about 2,300 miles. I've never ridden anything with a CVT and I have a couple of questions about the way the transmission behaves. When I shift from forward to reverse or vice versa, there is a half second delay before the transmission engages and moves the bike. This wouldn't be too odd by itself except for the second thing. When moving the bike from a stop, I have to get the RPMs to build a bit before the bike moves. I equate this to having to rev a manual motorcycle a bit before you let out the clutch and get moving.

If this is normal behavior, so be it. Otherwise, I guess I am in for a trip to the shop before its riding season again. I appreciate any insight.

The Ryker CVT works much like the old centrifugal clutches on go-carts, etc. Because the CVT is a centrifugal clutch. Just a much more sophisticated version. But the engagement process is pretty much the same.

boone
12-20-2021, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the responses. This makes me feel better.

Tslepebull
12-20-2021, 02:35 PM
To elaborate on what has been said before, the clutches do not fully engage until engine speed reaches 1800 RPM.

Markubis
12-20-2021, 08:03 PM
Which leads to the problem. You won't be able to sit at a stoplight and rev your engine like other bikes do. :gaah:

boone
12-21-2021, 09:03 PM
Which leads to the problem. You won't be able to sit at a stoplight and rev your engine like other bikes do. :gaah:

You just ruined my ownership experience. :(

SportsterDoc
12-22-2021, 01:18 PM

No, but you can burn a lot of rubber and/or disappear very quickly!