PDA

View Full Version : I think my spyder is sick

dltang
09-28-2009, 08:25 AM
I thought I heard some sort of clunking noise occasionally when I was in TN. Lamont rode it for me and didn't hear anything and I didn't hear it all the time so I figured it was fine. Got home and have been riding for a couple of days and am noticing something that is like a cross between a clunking and a rattling noise. It is most prevalent upon deceleration in lower gears. Sometimes it is an unbearable sound. BJT will give it a ride this morning and see if he hears it and if it is anything like what he was hearing on his spyder. Then a call to the dealer. If I have to take it in, I will see if it can correspond with the latest update as well. I hope they will have the update soon. I don't want to be spyderless for a long period of time but I don't think I should be riding it the way it sounds right now either. I could be doing more harm.

Rando
09-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Deb, Could it be that the rear wheel bearings needs to be replaced? Didn't Lamont have the same issue with his?

BajaRon
09-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I thought I heard some sort of clunking noise occasionally when I was in TN. Lamont rode it for me and didn't hear anything and I didn't hear it all the time so I figured it was fine. Got home and have been riding for a couple of days and am noticing something that is like a cross between a clunking and a rattling noise. It is most prevalent upon deceleration in lower gears. Sometimes it is an unbearable sound. BJT will give it a ride this morning and see if he hears it and if it is anything like what he was hearing on his spyder. Then a call to the dealer. If I have to take it in, I will see if it can correspond with the latest update as well. I hope they will have the update soon. I don't want to be spyderless for a long period of time but I don't think I should be riding it the way it sounds right now either. I could be doing more harm.

Hmmm, to many possibilities to even hazard a guess. I'm wondering if it might be exhaust related. Don't remember which exhaust you had on your ride. But it's such a long shot with so little information.

Hope you get it worked out quickly and it isn't serious.

Lamonster
09-28-2009, 09:49 AM
As you know your belt was way off. At first I thought it might be the wheel bearing but it did get better after we got the belt right. The noise you're explaining once again sounds like the wheel bearing. You would have to remove the wheel to find out. At least you made it home. :doorag:

BajaRon
09-28-2009, 10:02 AM
As you know your belt was way off. At first I thought it might be the wheel bearing but it did get better after we got the belt right. The noise you're explaining once again sounds like the wheel bearing. You would have to remove the wheel to find out. At least you made it home. :doorag:

Didn't know about the belt/bearing issue. Sounds like a good place to start. Should be relatively easy to confirm or eliminate that source.

Too bad we didn't have time to tear it down at the BBQ.

Lamonster
09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Didn't know about the belt/bearing issue. Sounds like a good place to start. Should be relatively easy to confirm or eliminate that source.

I fixed the belt but didn't have time to pull the wheel. I'm sure they will figure it out. :doorag:

ataDude
09-28-2009, 10:51 AM

Hope it gets feeling better! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Transports/ambulance-041.gif

Smylinacha
09-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Glad you made it home safe! How many miles you got on your :spyder2: now? Let us know what bjt says.

docdoru
09-28-2009, 06:44 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=143929&postcount=20 :dontknow:

dltang
09-29-2009, 11:42 AM
I will keep everyone posted as I get information. We mentioned the wheel bearings to the dealer so I am sure he will take a look at that. We also mentioned that the update to the update was coming and that some spyders had it done in Gatlinburg. While I was there with my clunking noise I am having him do a full service and checking a few other things. My gas fumes were worse than they had ever been and the heat under my seat was worse than ever before on the ride home as well. I also have a squeal coming from what seems to be my left front tire and it is not the brakes. The fumes problem will most like get corrected when they get the new update. As for everything else, I will let you know, when I know. Thanks for all the ideas and the help though. That is what we come for here. And luckily my service manger does listen to us when we tell him what is happening to other spyders on this forum.

DynamoBT
09-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Hey Deb, just noticed today is your birthday!! Happy Birthday!!! Hope you get your Spyder fixed soon so you can enjoy this last bit of nice weather before it gets really cold. Course, I know you and Brian ride all year. But still, this time of year is the best!!

b2k
09-29-2009, 01:49 PM

:agree:parts would have not been the problem
we had the parts bike there:yikes:

dltang
09-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Well, Lamont you definitely got part of the issue right. They are going to replace my rear wheel bearings, they were bad. Then they will be able to see if my clunking is gone or not. They also have to address the squeal in the left front tire, they think it has to do with the brakes even though it doesn't squeal when applying the brakes. So I continue to be spyerless for a while longer.

Lamonster
09-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Wish I would have had more time and I could have changed those for you, I have spares. At least you know now what it sounds like.

deanarm
10-01-2009, 09:28 AM
I hope the wheel bearings will take care of your spyder. Mine was making a noise similar to what you described. Well finally found out. The pulley on the engine striped it's splines and the spline's on the engine output shaft. That was 3 weeks ago and the dealer says the soonest the parts will arrive is Oct 16. It could be worse, I just have to be patient. Did miss spyders in the smokies and miss riding. Good luck.

dltang
10-01-2009, 09:31 AM
I hope the wheel bearings will take care of your spyder. Mine was making a noise similar to what you described. Well finally found out. The pulley on the engine striped it's splines and the spline's on the engine output shaft. That was 3 weeks ago and the dealer says the soonest the parts will arrive is Oct 16. It could be worse, I just have to be patient. Did miss spyders in the smokies and miss riding. Good luck.

Yeah, I think that is what was wrong with Doc's spyder too. I will also bring that to the dealers attention as something to look for. I sure don't like the idea of being without my spyder for 3 weeks though. Glad you have yours back and sorry you missed the Smokies.

smokster
10-01-2009, 09:38 AM
I will keep everyone posted as I get information. We mentioned the wheel bearings to the dealer so I am sure he will take a look at that. We also mentioned that the update to the update was coming and that some spyders had it done in Gatlinburg. While I was there with my clunking noise I am having him do a full service and checking a few other things. My gas fumes were worse than they had ever been and the heat under my seat was worse than ever before on the ride home as well. I also have a squeal coming from what seems to be my left front tire and it is not the brakes. The fumes problem will most like get corrected when they get the new update. As for everything else, I will let you know, when I know. Thanks for all the ideas and the help though. That is what we come for here. And luckily my service manger does listen to us when we tell him what is happening to other spyders on this forum.
Hey Deb
Sounds like you have a few issues going on, hope you get them solved. I know how much you like to ride.
How many miles do you have now?
Good luck