PDA

View Full Version : Still Riding? I think I am now done for the season...

vito1943
11-26-2021, 05:28 PM
I think winter is here for real now, with 19 degrees this morning and a "feels like" of 10 degrees. I used to ride until the temps dropped below 32. As I got older, and less tolerant of cold weather my threshold has raised. For awhile it was 40, then 50 and now it seems its around 60 degrees. I ride for the fun of it, and bundling up and wearing a closed visor on my helmet, plus heavy gloves, takes away most of the fun for me. So I think I am now done for the season and likely will not be riding until mid to late March of next year. Of course, its easy enough to pull the cover off, unhook the Battery Tender and check the tire pressures and go for a ride should we have a nice warm day before that, but that's not too likely to happen. I hated living in the deep south due to the unbearable heat in the summer, and the bugs, but right about now South Texas is looking mighty good.

trikermutha
11-26-2021, 05:46 PM
I feel the same way. But I want to move to where there is more heat than cold. Somewhere done that way has to be just right . ;)

CloverHillCrawler
11-26-2021, 05:50 PM
Just ordered this https://www.amazon.com/Bluemagic-Waterproof-Pieces-Snowsuits-Outdoor/dp/B08YNKQVR9/ref=asc_df_B08YNKQVR9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=532261489653&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3037493185607852853&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008021&hvtargid=pla-1457261137160&psc=1 today on Amazon Prime Black Friday for $159 to keep me going with my commute which is less than 30 min each way.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-26-2021, 06:39 PM
I think winter is here for real now, with 19 degrees this morning and a "feels like" of 10 degrees. I used to ride until the temps dropped below 32. As I got older, and less tolerant of cold weather my threshold has raised. For awhile it was 40, then 50 and now it seems its around 60 degrees. I ride for the fun of it, and bundling up and wearing a closed visor on my helmet, plus heavy gloves, takes away most of the fun for me. So I think I am now done for the season and likely will not be riding until mid to late March of next year. Of course, its easy enough to pull the cover off, unhook the Battery Tender and check the tire pressures and go for a ride should we have a nice warm day before that, but that's not too likely to happen. I hated living in the deep south due to the unbearable heat in the summer, and the bugs, but right about now South Texas is looking mighty good.

Last week ( Fri. ) was my last day for this season. ..... Although I now downhill ski ( 0-F & up ) I no longer ride down to 30 F. like I used to at a much younger age .... 60 F + I ride for pleasure ....50 to 60 F, I will ride distances for groceries .... below 50 , it has to be an emergency It's not so much the temps but the pleasure factor ..... at 74 if it's not FUN it's not Done ..... Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-26-2021, 07:23 PM
We are in an area where we can ride most any month of the year. Last year, we had snow on the ground for a couple days for the winter season. Our first year here, I rode on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, etc. Temps down to the 30's were acceptable for me at that time. I guess I have become acclimated to the warmer temps now. 30 degrees now seems pretty cold to me. This AM, it was in the low 20's. No way did I ride today. What a difference a year makes. :dontknow:

Still going to ride all year, but going to be a little more picky. Temps in the 60's coming our way. Think I will ride some then. :bowdown:

Bunson
11-26-2021, 07:30 PM
For me 40 is about the cutoff. Used to ride down into the 20's on the wing but no more. I've never spent money on heated jackets and pants because here in NE PA once they start spraying the roads with that liquid brine/salt that's it. It just stays in the pavement until a couple of decent rains. With the bikes I could ride in the tire tracks on occasion and keep it off the bike but that's not happening with the Spyder.

Wmoater
11-26-2021, 08:01 PM
Haven’t ridden since late October because I hit a deer, but NO ONE has been able to ride at all in the last 4 weeks in my area. Almost a normal (1990’s) weather pattern around the lakes. We’ve had almost 20 inches of snow in November so far. We got 5 today possibly another 5-7 tonight. It’s either rained or snowed in the snow belts everyday all month. Can’t remember it being this messy for years. Been warm winters for the past 4 years but not this year. I’m a youngster so riding to work 11 miles away at 32 and home in mid 40’s is fine with me. Pre-snowmobile thickening of blood:yikes:

Deanna777
11-26-2021, 09:01 PM
Haven’t ridden since late October because I hit a deer, but NO ONE has been able to ride at all in the last 4 weeks in my area. Almost a normal (1990’s) weather pattern around the lakes. We’ve had almost 20 inches of snow in November so far. We got 5 today possibly another 5-7 tonight. It’s either rained or snowed in the snow belts everyday all month. Can’t remember it being this messy for years. Been warm winters for the past 4 years but not this year. I’m a youngster so riding to work 11 miles away at 32 and home in mid 40’s is fine with me. Pre-snowmobile thickening of blood:yikes:

I am in the same boat as you, I was done riding the spyder in Oct. ( off topic, we have had rain here also, now we are getting snow, the higher elevations are expecting up to 12 inches of snow).

Back on topic: I usually when it gets to about 50 degrees.

Deanna

2dogs
11-26-2021, 10:29 PM
Just ordered this https://www.amazon.com/Bluemagic-Waterproof-Pieces-Snowsuits-Outdoor/dp/B08YNKQVR9/ref=asc_df_B08YNKQVR9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=532261489653&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3037493185607852853&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008021&hvtargid=pla-1457261137160&psc=1 today on Amazon Prime Black Friday for $159 to keep me going with my commute which is less than 30 min each way.

That's the ticket! Thanks for the link.

Saluda
11-26-2021, 10:53 PM
Done with the Spyder, finished prepping the sleds. Waiting for winter.

hut1
11-26-2021, 11:00 PM

Haven't had any measurable snow here in the mid-Atlantic in a couple of years, and I used to pride myself on getting a ride in at least one day in every month. The cold temperatures were manageable on my Goldwing. Now I don't have much interest in braving the cold except for my traditional New Years Day ride. I'll still keep T'Challa ready for that occasional 50+ degree day that might pop up.

Little Blue
11-27-2021, 05:08 AM
:popcorn: I have joined the 'ole man weather club'.
Outside temperatures must be 50°F or more before I will try to get the Spyder out to Ryde.

So far I have been able to enjoy 14 days in November 2021. One day at a time. Come on December 2021 and let me Ryde. ..... :thumbup:

Mikey
11-27-2021, 06:15 AM
I am starting to creep in to that club myself, the bike, 40, the sled, 0 to 10 above!!!

Plarimer
11-27-2021, 08:13 AM
Still riding in Nebraska. It will be the high 50s and low 60s for the next several days.

MONK
11-27-2021, 08:44 AM
We don't really have "winter" where I live in NC so I've always ridden year round. Health issues will keep me from doing that this year but I still hope to get out once in a while on nice days. It's not unusual to get up to 60 in January and upper 40s are normal. Very little snow (last years total was around 1.5" and none of it lasted more than a day) so that's not an issue.

troop
11-27-2021, 09:27 AM
Up in southern WI, my Spyder has been in hibernation for two weeks. The small bike is still at the ready.

cptjam
11-27-2021, 09:59 AM
We love to ride, so, 10 years ago, sold the house and moved to Las Vegas. Yes, it is hot in the summer, but the other 9 months are great. We got a place in Montana to summer at. Works for us!

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-27-2021, 10:29 AM
Hey, you guys are making me feel good! :2thumbs: I've been telling folks the past few years when I didn't ride, the weather index was below my "Wimp" threshold. If it's not above 40 in the morning and not forecast to be in the 60's and sunny by early afternoon, I don't ride! Now I feel much less like a wimp and more like a member of the wise crowd! :ohyea:

cravenfun
11-27-2021, 11:00 AM
Once they salt the roads I'm done. Learned my lesson pitting my back rim on my HD and don't want the hassle of giving the bikes a bath after a late season joy ride.
Cycles don't have the corrosion protection of cages.

Navydad
11-27-2021, 11:56 AM
I never stop riding although I don't take the Spyder out after they salt the roads. I have an old, not so pretty bike for that. I don't have a car so if wife is out in her SUV and I need to be somewhere it's time to gear up have at it. Retired so I can pick and choose my battles. I bought a Toyota Tacoma once. Nice truck and I drove it less than 3000 miles a year. I put an average of 25,000 on my bikes. Tags, insurance, took up space in the garage, sent the Tacoma down the road.

Vincef329
11-27-2021, 12:46 PM
I feel it! I sold my Ryker October and ordered a 2022 F3S deliver in March. In W. NY there's no riding until then anyway. Just waiting....

Bob L
11-27-2021, 12:58 PM
Weathermen said that we would see some snow overnight, any accumulation would be just on the grass. Heard the plows go by during the night and knew that was not a good sign! Woke up to 4" and fired up the snowblower. 113 days to Spring... and oh, yeah, we have a new 2022 RT Limited on order, so Spring sounds even better than normal!

ARtraveler
11-27-2021, 02:15 PM
I just came back from a nice 60 mile ride. All the leaves are down now. The evergreens are now providing the green to the landscape. My temp reached 70 degrees. All I can say is :bowdown:

redrazor
11-27-2021, 02:22 PM

Yes sir Vito! :agree: 60 is my minimum ride criteria, even here in Sunny California! Being 75 years old has something to do with it alo! :thumbup:

Haze
11-27-2021, 02:39 PM
I'm going for a ride today. Its relatively warm and sunny.
50 to 60 degrees here in Northern Nevada.
I'll keep riding until the roads are salted.

rv6a
11-27-2021, 03:07 PM
I am in northern Indiana. I've ridden down to the low 40's so far. Not sure how low I can go. The only part of me that gets cold is the top of my hands. I am still using lightweight gloves

Pantera
11-27-2021, 03:19 PM
Parked my Ryker a few weeks ago.

JRat
11-27-2021, 04:20 PM
I've rode a couple days that started out in the 40's, but got up into the 50's by evening here in southern Indiana. might not be too many more of them this season. I plan on doing afternoon rides as long as it's 45 to 50 as long as the roads are clear.

Wmoater
11-27-2021, 05:11 PM
We’ll we only got 3 inches last night. Today was the first day of hunting season in PA. It’s been at least 5-6 years since we had snow first day. Sun came out so only about 6 inches on the ground and roads bare accept all the dirt back roads. When I was a kid in the early 80’s we hunted in snow shoes all season no joke. We used sleds all the time to get to our stands or pull them out. That pattern has really changed. Suppose to snow tonight and then rain tomorrow night and Monday. Rain snow all week. We haven’t got any salt yet so I am hoping in two weeks when my spyder is put back together to sneak a ride in or load it up in my snowmobile trailer and head south to Virginia or hit lower and beat her up and make sure everything’s good. The trailer is heated and has oven and fold down cots. I have heated seats and gear and if it’s to cold I’ll use the BRP modular 3 snowmobile helmet. I don’t think I’ll need that but we’ll see.

Wmoater
11-27-2021, 05:21 PM
My dad just texted me from his winter home in Mesa. He put a lousy 120 miles today on his new spyder. :DIt was only 78 today. Knowing him and mom they will have 25000 by the time they come home next mid May. It sprinkled yesterday he said. In Arizona that’s a couple drops just smaller than sweat beads:roflblack:

Deanna777
11-27-2021, 07:59 PM
Weathermen said that we would see some snow overnight, any accumulation would be just on the grass. Heard the plows go by during the night and knew that was not a good sign! Woke up to 4" and fired up the snowblower. 113 days to Spring... and oh, yeah, we have a new 2022 RT Limited on order, so Spring sounds even better than normal!

(Off topic: Here in VT. last night we got about 4 inches of snow, in the valleys. The higher elevations got close to a foot of snow, the sled is getting restless!). I fired up the snow blower also, put spyder into hibernation last month. Congrats on the 2022 RT Limited!

Deanna

CloverHillCrawler
11-27-2021, 11:23 PM
That's the ticket! Thanks for the link.

It came in this afternoon and took it out for a test ride just wearing jeans, tank top, and a nats long sleeve shirt on inside the suit with the hood pulled up underneath the helmet.

I wouldn't say it was toasty but I wasn't cold either. But my hands, oh my god I definitely need better gloves.

I tested by starting off in Frederick filling up near the house and went up to Gambrill Park road (about 1800 ft higher) ext. temp gauge read 46 at the Sunoco on 40 by the Time I was at Gambrill Park road it was 39 and up by the Summit it was 36.

I was going to go up Tower road to catch 77 by Cunningham falls but bailed on Hamburg road and came back home as my so called "winter gloves" I have now couldn't hold up to below 40 temps at speed. I have some Joe rocket leather gauntlet gloves on order and I hope they perform better.

RapidSpyder
11-28-2021, 10:53 AM
We’re supposed to have several days in the 60’s here before Friday. Going for a ride after church today and probably a couple more this week.

K80Shooter
11-28-2021, 02:14 PM
I don't see me putting mine to bed. There's always a warm day here and there in Ga.

DanDanTMM
12-04-2021, 01:06 AM
As long as it is in the mid-40s I will ride. Here in West TN there is typically days like that or better throughout the winter. Heck, today it was 76 degrees out. Awesome to be wearing summer jacket and gloves again.

RayBJ
12-04-2021, 10:40 AM
The Polar Bear Grand Tour runs each Sunday thru the winter here in NJ/PA/NY. I'll make a majority of the rides if the weather permits so there's no rest for the RT.
https://polarbeargrandtour.com/rides.htm

ARtraveler
12-04-2021, 12:26 PM
We are lucky enough to live in a very temperate zone. We ride all year with the exception of the couple days where we may have an inch or so of snow. Temps are also mostly moderate. It is kind of like Florida, but without the geezers on the golf carts. :roflblack:

SportsterDoc
12-04-2021, 12:37 PM
Turning 75 in a couple months, I am riding below 40F less and less.
No heated gear, but this is my first year for riding pants to break the wind.
The Ryker is better for leg warmth than many M/C; although on the Triumph, tucking my legs close to the tank benefits from warm air flow over the engine.
This time of year, my rides are typically less than 200 miles.

mecsw500
12-04-2021, 02:57 PM
It's been really mild here so far this year. Temps in the 50s and 60s for weeks now. Not much precipitation all year.

They say it might snow next week, here at about 5000 feet. Usually it snows each year by Halloween, but not this year. Ski resorts are hurting, not just from Covid.

Just took the Spyder back to the dealer yesterday for them to work on the air suspension again (been trouble since new, 3 months ago). I hope if they have it a week while the weather is yuck, then I can ride it home again the week after. I cannot remember the start of the winter ever being this mild into December and this is after an unusually hot summer.

I'd say that's great for riding, but after all these years of drought the water situation is starting to get really serious unless we get a good mountain snow pack this year.

Sentinel
12-04-2021, 03:08 PM
I would love to ride year round but will need to leave Northern IL first. For now I will go out when I can when temp is over 40, until they salt the roads. Once that is done I need the temps over 40 following a decent rain to clear the salt. Really not looking forward to winter this year. Hoping for an early spring! Happy Holidays and stay well all!

RobDekker
12-06-2021, 02:40 PM
It’s over for me. Pulled the battery this afternoon. It will go in the basement on a battery tender.