PDA

View Full Version : Another Windshield Thread

Dragonrider
09-27-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm now on my third windshield (including that little useless piece of stock plastic). Note that I am 6'5", with a long torso...

My first replacement was the F-1. I talked to Marcel, and he recommended a 31.5" with wings & gave me a good price, so on she went. Nothing fit quite right, but with a bit of tweaking, I got it on. I have the Kwel mirror extensions, and I had to heat/bend the F-1 to fit (from Marcel's instructions), and created a special set of brackets to hold the wings and mirrors together.

While that worked, the angle of the WS put the top edge right in my line of vision - I do not mean that I looked over the top of it (I did), I mean that, when I rode & tilted my head to look straight ahead, I looked at the top edge. My wife at 5'11" didn't have that problem.

Looking at that edge, and watching it vibrate bothered me, so I sold it & began another search.

I saw a thread about the Madstad set up, and gave Mark a call. (His customer service is right there with Apple!!) He convienced me to give his system a try, using his new 22" windshield. I was skeptical, having just had a 31" WS, but open minded.

It arrived, and another note - this WS has an INFINITE number of adjustments available!! I took off the lock nuts, and used wing nuts to easily move the WS to tweak it for me, and after 4 or 5 attempts and 20 miles or so, it works almost as well as my ex-F-1! The almost relates to the side protection from debris - there isn't much on this WS.

However, only my LT has made WS changes for conditions so easy. I was pleased with the results and am willing to recommend Mark's system to any of you looking for a good replacement.

There are a couple of other threads with good pics of the Madstad system, so I won't take space with mine - but happy to answer any questions you might have..

Some Guy
09-27-2009, 03:14 PM
I have the Madstad Robobrackets as well. How did you get the wing nuts to work on the fixed ends where they butt right up against the windshield nuts?

Dragonrider
09-27-2009, 04:36 PM
I used them with the adjusters.. to replace the lock nuts..

mrb
09-27-2009, 04:55 PM
:agree: Madstad :2thumbs: