PDA

View Full Version : Hello all. i need help with getting a directory started for stranded riders

Mosess01
11-10-2021, 12:41 PM
For the past 6 years i have been in a few situation where members have been broken down and pretty much stranded with there bikes. I have been riding for many years and i know this could be a scary situation for those that are new to motorcycling , let me go directly to what i am trying to get started here, i would like a directory with a list of those that can help others in a pinch, from towing to shelter and any mechanical help they can provide.
last week here in nj a member needed assistance with towing a can am rt to there home. i would like every one to feel safe and know that if any thing where to occur on a ride that this community would step up and help. So can we discuss topic and make it happen, i know some have towing on there insurance or have AAA but if that does not work what do you do...lets talk thank you...

RICZ
11-10-2021, 01:39 PM
At least one such program already exists. Here's one........https://www.bunkabiker.org/

2dogs
11-10-2021, 01:47 PM
Also.............https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/locations.php

RayBJ
11-10-2021, 01:56 PM
Also.............https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/locations.php

That map would be useful if it allowed new entries. I've tried several times to add my location with no success. There's a thread somewhere on the forum about the broken feature.

2dogs
11-10-2021, 02:05 PM
That map would be useful if it allowed new entries. I've tried several times to add my location with no success. There's a thread somewhere on the forum about the broken feature.

Darn, that's too bad. If I needed help with my spyder I believe I'd first pick another spyder owner.

MrMagicFingers
11-10-2021, 03:12 PM
I think this is a great Idea.

It would be nice to have a proper area where a user here can log into and find a safe location in the event of an emergency or break down.

I would offer a bed, garage, tools, experience and comfort to anyone that needed it.

Tim AND Christine

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-10-2021, 04:32 PM
I think this is a great Idea.

It would be nice to have a proper area where a user here can log into and find a safe location in the event of an emergency or break down.

I would offer a bed, garage, tools, experience and comfort to anyone that needed it.

Tim AND Christine

:agree: ..........I've had an open door policy ( for Spyderlovers ) at my home for the past 9 years .... even if it's not an emergency :clap::clap:..... some stayed for almost a week :gaah::roflblack::2thumbs: ....... Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
11-10-2021, 06:20 PM

I agree. With a little tweaking and greater participation this could be very valuable to members.

Mosess01
11-10-2021, 08:15 PM
I See there is support for this idea, hosting is one idea but would a member who is in need of help get in touch with fellow member, we need a phone directory that you would carry on your bike or a state by state phone directory. I am not always on line so if some one needed help they could call me directly. how would we set that up and could that be done on this site.

Mosess01
11-10-2021, 08:23 PM
The idea came to me after a member broke down this past week and had no other way of getting help, alot of woman ride now so i could only imagine how afraid she must have been so i got my trailer and towed her home. so i am sure this could happen to others so how do we get more help to fellow riders and riders so we put them at ease.

pegasus1300
11-10-2021, 09:47 PM
There is NABR North American Biker Rescue, has about 17,000 members. ttps://www.facebook.com/groups/Neighbors.NABRs/?qsefr=1

UtahPete
11-10-2021, 11:11 PM
The idea came to me after a member broke down this past week and had no other way of getting help, alot of woman ride now so i could only imagine how afraid she must have been so i got my trailer and towed her home. so i am sure this could happen to others so how do we get more help to fellow riders and riders so we put them at ease.

I don't see a way to do that. Not sustainably anyway. This site would be it.

Mikey
11-11-2021, 05:39 AM
:agree: ..........I've had an open door policy ( for Spyderlovers ) at my home for the past 9 years .... even if it's not an emergency :clap::clap:..... some stayed for almost a week :gaah::roflblack::2thumbs: ....... Mike :thumbup:

I hear the cooks pretty good also!!:thumbup:

larryd
11-11-2021, 09:28 AM
I'm a member of the Gold Wing Riders Association (GWRRA)... they have a Gold Book Official Directory for each member, and a www.goldbook.gwrra.org that has thousands of helping hands for just the occasion you mentioned above...Plus as a member you can get several different road assists programs...larryd

vito1943
11-11-2021, 02:58 PM
Sounds like a great idea, but putting such together and administering the list could be a major job. I have been an AAA member for decades, and for many years now have had AAA Plus coverage, which includes my RV and my motorcycle. If I broke down I am entitled to towing for up to 100 miles to the location of my choice. This was a lifesaver for me two years ago when I had a blowout on my travel trailer down in Texas, which based upon the time and effort it took the AAA tow driver to remove the debris on my wheel (including the steel belt of the disintegrated tire) and putting the spare on would have cost me a fortune without coverage. Not having a spare on a motorcycle, or on my Spyder, even a simple flat tire can leave you stranded. I would recommend AAA Plus to any rider, even though AAA is far from perfect and you might wait several hours for the needed assistance.

Bartender
11-11-2021, 03:13 PM
I previously rode a Kawasaki Concours and the owners association published a little pamphlet each year with all members names, addresses and phone numbers along with what they were willing and able to provide for assistance. It was organized by state and city and quite easy to use. I never had to use it but always carried it on my bike. Great idea if the owners of this site could do the same thing. It could be electronic and paperless but just have a section on this site to provide the information.

Snowbelt Spyder
11-11-2021, 07:08 PM
There actually was such a database called Spyders to the Rescue. And there's still a link on the Homepage, upper left under Spyder Web. But it appears that the link to the actual database is broken. It was maintained by JT, and contained location information of people willing to help a stranded rider, including tool and trailer availability. The last time I looked at it, it was all working, so I'm a little surprised it's not. Maybe one of the Mods could either work with JT to get it fixed, import it over to this site where it can be maintained here, or removed it from the Homepage. There's no reason to keep broken links around.

Mosess01
11-11-2021, 07:17 PM
Vito in some parts of the country you cant get RV with aaa. I to have the same service but they dont always work and so that's why i am asking can we create something here
so all the members can get help from fellow spyder riders. i had a wing and a ST1300 and they both had a directory of riders that where willing to help. i am in nj and would gladly help any one if they had my info....

Mosess01
11-11-2021, 07:19 PM
Bartender you are on point , we need to talk to administrator.

cruisinTX
11-13-2021, 07:39 AM
There is NABR North American Biker Rescue, has about 17,000 members. ttps://www.facebook.com/groups/Neighbors.NABRs/?qsefr=1

I have mentioned NABR (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Neighbors.NABRs) a few times here but for some reason people seem to avoid even acknowledging I shared it. I don't see the need to start something that already exists on a page that has over 48K members ready and willing to help. I post things about Spyder Rydes on their sister page (NABR Family Friendly Lounge) (https://www.facebook.com/groups/101979256856899) that is designed for just chit chat so they can keep the rescue page clean for it's intended purpose. Have yet to get any negative feedback about the Spyder not being a motorcycle.

The rescue page with so many members world wide is very effective in getting stranded riders off the side of the road and to safety. It is set up so anyone who is a member can initiate a "Chrome Alert" which is what they call a distress notification. That person can then run the alert start to finish using the online map that has thousands of members and their services or they can make sure an admin or someone closer to the situation sees it by tagging them. I've run a couple of alerts and have seen some where the stranded biker had help on the way within 30 minutes. With so many members and a fully populated map, they get the job done and it's all volunteers; no one has to pay a dime to be a member or get help.

UtahPete
11-13-2021, 09:41 AM
I have mentioned NABR (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Neighbors.NABRs) a few times here but for some reason people seem to avoid even acknowledging I shared it. I don't see the need to start something that already exists on a page that has over 48K members ready and willing to help. I post things about Spyder Rydes on their sister page (NABR Family Friendly Lounge) (https://www.facebook.com/groups/101979256856899) that is designed for just chit chat so they can keep the rescue page clean for it's intended purpose. Have yet to get any negative feedback about the Spyder not being a motorcycle.

The rescue page with so many members world wide is very effective in getting stranded riders off the side of the road and to safety. It is set up so anyone who is a member can initiate a "Chrome Alert" which is what they call a distress notification. That person can then run the alert start to finish using the online map that has thousands of members and their services or they can make sure an admin or someone closer to the situation sees it by tagging them. I've run a couple of alerts and have seen some where the stranded biker had help on the way within 30 minutes. With so many members and a fully populated map, they get the job done and it's all volunteers; no one has to pay a dime to be a member or get help.

The problem for me is that it's only on Facebook, apparently. I will not use that platform anymore, for a number of reasons.

RayBJ
11-13-2021, 10:15 AM
The problem for me is that it's only on Facebook, apparently. I will not use that platform anymore, for a number of reasons.

++++ :agree: Facebook died for me 5 years ago when they chose political bias over fairness of thought.

I'd love to have a free-standing app/site that is single-purposed for assisting bikers in need.

Mosess01
11-13-2021, 10:18 AM
cruisen tx sorry if your feelings are hurt because no one spoke of this group, i have a pending membership with them. i hope i am accepted .

Mosess01
11-13-2021, 10:21 AM
RAY thats would be perfect, if your in the state that help is needed all those in that state would get a ping on there phone,

UtahPete
11-13-2021, 10:26 AM
RAY thats would be perfect, if your in the state that help is needed all those in that state would get a ping on there phone,

Maybe a standalone user-maintained and advertising supported app like Gasbuddy is the solution.

cruisinTX
11-13-2021, 10:53 AM
cruisen tx sorry if your feelings are hurt because no one spoke of this group, i have a pending membership with them. i hope i am accepted .

No hurt feelings here. I'm Just amazed that no one wants to take advantage of something that is already established with huge numbers of people ready and willing to help.

I don't care much for Zuckerberg's political bias either but that FB page is currently THE best method of getting help on the road. With that many members, someone is always online monitoring for Chrome Alerts. If I'm stranded on the road, I'm not turning down easy access assistance just because the owner of the media is a douche. The administrator of NABR has worked his tail off creating and maintaining that page. I stay there because of him and in spite of Zuck.

RayBJ
11-13-2021, 11:52 AM
Why not fix the broken Spyderlover User Map on this site? Haven't seen any actions to make it work since it was mentioned months ago.

UtahPete
11-13-2021, 04:21 PM
Why not fix the broken Spyderlover User Map on this site? Haven't seen any actions to make it work since it was mentioned months ago.

:agree: but I'm not holding my breath ...

UtahPete
11-13-2021, 04:23 PM
No hurt feelings here. I'm Just amazed that no one wants to take advantage of something that is already established with huge numbers of people ready and willing to help.

I don't care much for Zuckerberg's political bias either but that FB page is currently THE best method of getting help on the road. With that many members, someone is always online monitoring for Chrome Alerts. If I'm stranded on the road, I'm not turning down easy access assistance just because the owner of the media is a douche. The administrator of NABR has worked his tail off creating and maintaining that page. I stay there because of him and in spite of Zuck.

For me, it has nothing to do with politics. I just won't use Facebook.

Mosess01
11-14-2021, 12:25 AM
So i have looked on line and there are several sites but none of them are up to date, i like the idea of dropping a pin when your on the site and if your in a and those that are in that state close the area in question get a notification, a stand alone site i think maybe the way to go. i have a friend that codes, lets not get into what sites do or don't do lets move ahead on getting a help to those that may need it. i for one can help with towing and wrenching and a place to sleep and a meal. so Utahpete and the rest of you guys i need your help.

pegasus1300
11-14-2021, 03:02 AM

See post #11. BTW I think they do have an online presence. If you have abandoned facebook ,that's fine, but you can still check out NABR without getting involved in the rest of the chaos.

cruisinTX
11-14-2021, 08:09 AM
pegasus, I totally agree, but some people think they have to build a better mouse trap. Their loss as far as I'm concerned.

MrMagicFingers
11-14-2021, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a great idea, but putting such together and administering the list could be a major job. I have been an AAA member for decades, and for many years now have had AAA Plus coverage, which includes my RV and my motorcycle. If I broke down I am entitled to towing for up to 100 miles to the location of my choice. This was a lifesaver for me two years ago when I had a blowout on my travel trailer down in Texas, which based upon the time and effort it took the AAA tow driver to remove the debris on my wheel (including the steel belt of the disintegrated tire) and putting the spare on would have cost me a fortune without coverage. Not having a spare on a motorcycle, or on my Spyder, even a simple flat tire can leave you stranded. I would recommend AAA Plus to any rider, even though AAA is far from perfect and you might wait several hours for the needed assistance.

I wouldn't be on any sizeable trip with out CAA (Canadian Version). We will scoot around NS and PEI and Southern NB but any trip that we're in it for more than two days worth of driving is not going to happen without CAA. Plus they offer travel discounts on lodging and restaurants etc. Really, a good to have. It certainly does pay for it's self quickly when needed.

Tim

UtahPete
11-14-2021, 10:44 AM
So i have looked on line and there are several sites but none of them are up to date, i like the idea of dropping a pin when your on the site and if your in a and those that are in that state close the area in question get a notification, a stand alone site i think maybe the way to go. i have a friend that codes, lets not get into what sites do or don't do lets move ahead on getting a help to those that may need it. i for one can help with towing and wrenching and a place to sleep and a meal. so Utahpete and the rest of you guys i need your help.

As I said earlier, the challenge with a directory is maintaining it over time; an outdated directory is useless. It sounds like the Facebook one works as well as anything out there right now; it works because it has such a large, actively engaged user base. This site's 'location' feature could work for Spyder riders, but not as currently configured, and I don't know how to get the webmaster to upgrade it to something more functional.