PDA

View Full Version : Spyder RT Mods

NancysToy
09-26-2009, 07:18 AM
Now that I have ordered my RT-S, I have been thinking about mods. The RT-S is very well equipped, so not much is likely to be necessary, but here are some of my thoughts. Anyone else have any ideas or comments?

Lighting: The RT has pretty good lighting, especially with the foglights and LED accents on the RT-S. One of the first mods for me will be the ESI/NMN mudflap lights. They look like they will fit, and they will be more visible on the RT, with its narrower bags than on a bag-equipped RS. The RT rear visibility is good with the large LED taillights, but mudflap lights will improve it, and they make me smile when I see them.

I wonder if the BRP HID option will also fit the RT? You would think they would say so if it did. If so, the ESI/NMN HID package would work, too. If not, I hope Magic Man is listening. HIDs would be nice. Lamont, how is the stock lighting?

I'd like to see a third brake light near the top of the rear trunk, like some other touring bikes. Looks like a good place for Magic Man's talents again.

Audio/Comm System: There are lots of factory options here. They do seem to overlap a bit and be a bit fragmented. External speakers will be a new experience for me. I did not go with XM, and will not likely use the FM radio much since my oldies stations seem to be disappearing. The iPod/MP3 player option in one I am used to, and is welcome.

I will likely add my own Starcom1 comm system, rather than use the BRP CB/Comm option. We already have speaker/mike equipped helmets. It will probably require replacement of the stock comm ports, and almost certainly will require rewiring. Others may decide on a wireless option.

GPS: There is no doubt that the Garmin 660 BRP offers is a good unit. Fred Rau says it is fully integrated to both the speakers and the headphones, which is good to know. Whether that is worth the cost, will be up to the owner. I expect I will want to use my existing GPS. A video on the Web shows a GPS mounted on the left handlebar. Not much handlebar showing there, so I don't know how. Possibly via a RAM mount on the clutch cylinder.

My BMW has an aftermarket RAM bracket mounted on one of the handlebar bolts in the center. The Spyder RT has a similar exposed bolt pattern, so I expect to fabricate a similar mounting adapter. The video also showed wires running to the cover plate in the center of the handlebars. If there is power or audio hookup capability here, it will be the way to go. May also require some rewiring or an adapter.

Power: Although there seems to be little that can be added to an RT, an auxiliary fuse box may be handy. The location will probably be more difficult than on the RS. I'll have to get my RT in hand before I can decide on a convenient location that can be readily wired. I'm leaning toward a dual function (switched and unswitched) unit like the Centech, rather than the simple Buss version on our RS.

The stock unswitched power outlet in the RT topcaase is a great idea. So is Lamont's dual outlet adapter. This outlet could be used for hooking up a charger, or for recharging a cell phone, iPod, or other device. I worry about running the Spyder battery low, however. The Spyder doesn't like a low battery. Although BRP increased the magneto output to 650 watts, that is quite anemic compared to its 800-1200 watt competitors, which have alternators. I wish BRP had stepped this up a little and switched to an alternator.

I will probably add Powerlets to my RT. One switched and one unswitched in the dash, just like our RS, and one switched at the rear for the passenger. Heated gear could be run from this, but it may be easier to go with a direct harness. In this case, two, since my passsenger likes her warmth. I hope the charging system can handle the added load. It is marginal. BTW, charging can also be done through the heated gear harness, with use of an adapter.

Highway Pegs: The RT seating position looks cozy. It is much relaxed from the RS. The spoiler also seems to be made to accomodate feet readily. (Thanks, Lamont.) As Lamonster said, some fancy covers/reinforcements might be nice. Listening, Evan? I'm not a fan of regular highway pegs, myself, and I doubt I would add any, even if they can be readily added. We'll have to see what the market provides.

Risers: The stock handlebar position is also much relaxed. Risers should not be a necessity. In fact, I expect some taller folks may want aftermarket replacement bars which are shorter and farther away.

Windshields: The tall electric windshield appears to be very effective. There are also stock wind deflectors. Doubt there will be much market for replacements. It certainly won't be as crowded a market as for the RS. I hope Rain-X won't damage the stock shield.

Luggage: BRP offers an extensive line of rigid luggage. If I go for luggage, it would probably be most useful for the side cases. I prefer soft luggage, and may sew my own inserts. The old Kathy's inserts for the BMW were about the best I ever saw. I'd like something similar. I expect I will fill the rear trunk with most of the stuff I have in the front now, including emergency lights and a small compressor. Luggage would get in the way for me. I want to leave the front trunk empty for helmets and riding gear when I get off the bike. Some travelers may like the optional rolling case, though. I like the standard trunk liner on the RT-S. We get a lot of use from the optional one on our RS. The cargo light will also be handy. No tank bag is likely to be necessary with the stock glove box. Pretty impractical, too.

Well, that's how I'm thinking right now. What's on your mind?

BumbleBee
09-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Good thinking :thumbup: You answered some of my things I was considering.

What made you decide, between the RT and the RT-S??

When you ordered your RT-S; Did you get any price cuts or rebates, of any kind?

I am going to my Dealer today, and hopefully, I can make a decision on which one to order. :dontknow:

Thanks in advance for anything you can provide. :thumbup:

NancysToy
09-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Good thinking :thumbup: You answered some of my things I was considering.

What made you decide, between the RT and the RT-S??

When you ordered your RT-S; Did you get any price cuts or rebates, of any kind?

I am going to my Dealer today, and hopefully, I can make a decision on which one to order. :dontknow:

Thanks in advance for anything you can provide. :thumbup:
I laid out a spreadsheet with our existing Spyder and mods, a modified RS, an RT, and an RT-S. I included all the mods and options I thought I wanted at the time. With no price break on the RT and a modest discount on the PE RT-S, the RT was within $1,000 of the RT-S, and the modified RS was close to the RT. It was also surprising how much we had in the old Spyder with the bags, seat, risers, etc. The electronically adjustable suspension on the RT-S was the kicker for me, plus I got some options I would not necessarily have ordered, like the heated passenger grips. I also preferred the black, and the Premiere RT-S should be delivered sooner than the plain RT or other colors. Even though it will be winter, I can't wait! :ohyea: The only thing we really wrestled with was the trailer, which we decided against for now.

I did get a modest discount on the RT-S, plus they waived the freight charges, although there was a very reasonable prep charge and there will be document charges. I also got a commitment for a good price on the BEST warranty...same as I paid for the first Spyder in 2008, before the price went up. I might have even paid MSRP if I had to, but waving a discount in front of a Dutchman is a sure fire way to make a sale! :D Good luck with your decision.

Bersquack
09-26-2009, 08:44 AM
I laid out a spreadsheet with our existing Spyder and mods, a modified RS, an RT, and an RT-S. I included all the mods and options I thought I wanted at the time.

:roflblack: I do the same thing all the time. Professional deformation I guess.

I wish I could make those kind of decisions as easy as you can. There is not much space left in your garage Scotty, where is this one going to go?

Lamonster
09-26-2009, 08:47 AM
I've got a adjustable handlebar figured out, a adjustable windshield mount, and passenger arm rest and a foot peg adaptor that will give you some choices. I think the windshield and the bars will be my first mods. :doorag:

Roaddog2
09-26-2009, 07:59 PM
:congrats: Scotty :firstplace: