PDA

View Full Version : studded snow tires

spyderlover2
09-26-2009, 12:44 AM
i will be moving to the midwest again after a long time on the west coast. i would love to buy an RT-S as a daily ride!
i was wondering if anyone on this site or if anyone has heard of anyone who has tried putting studded snow tires on their Spyder? and if so, what were the results? does anyone have any pics of themselves or someone else cruising on snowy roads or in snowy conditions on a Spyder? and what were your experiences if anyone has tried driving in the snow on their Spyder?
thanks for your help Spyderlovers!

vtrider
09-26-2009, 04:52 AM
I personaly wouldn't recomend using any kind of studded tire on the spyder. This question was asked at my dealer and the response coming from the factory reps is that studded tires would affect the VSS system on the spyder and could affect the handling. I ride myself many times when the temps drop below 30 degrees here in the northeast. I haven't hit too much ice, but when I do I just drive with caution especially on wet leaves and such. Otherwise if the roads look like they will be real bad I just leave the spyder home. But some folks ride all winter and seem to do fine without different tires. When they start salting the roads I would rather put the spyder up for the winter. I have snowmobiling that I can enjoy in the winter months. Just my input!

NancysToy
09-26-2009, 06:04 AM
Studded tires are illegal in many states, including Michigan. Better check before you even consider such a thing. I don't know if many folks here have ridden in much snow or ice, unless forced to by changing weather conditions. It is a challenge and a chore on the Spyder. The wide tire spins easily, and it takes a gentle hand on the throttle and clutch, and well as patience on the rider's part. I found it diffcult to get anywhere without the nanny kicking in repeatedly. The worst part about such riding is the salt used on the roads. It will make a Spyder die long before its time has come, and I avoid it like the plague. The RT-S is not going to be as easy to remove the panels on to clean the nooks and crannies thoroughly. I have ridden motorcycles in the midwest every month of the year, and some have done the same with the Spyder, but most of us pick our moments, and do not ride daily. I expect I will do the same with my RT-S when it arrives.

nickcaro
09-26-2009, 06:55 AM
you will need to be patient cause it will take longer to get around when you get caught out in bad weather. I ride everyday and only missed 3 days of work last season due to weather conditions. It will depend heavily on how well your roads are taken care of after a snow fall.

Where I live there are armies of trucks out there during the rush hour, so as long as the road is paved, I'm going. The photos you see via the link below are of me arriving home, the road itself was not that deep cause it was plowed.

If you decide on studs, check these out;
http://www.aerostich.com/self-tapping-carbide-tire-studs.html

you will need to get the ones that are sized for scooters cause the rest depend on knobbie tires

here's me;
http://nick-caro.com/Y/snowspyder/

I tried to get the studs last year, but they sold out by the time I went to order them. I did fine with out them and dont plan on getting them this year.

....yeah, your're spyder will be dirty and salty. But I dont own a car, so it, is what it is for me.

Motza
09-26-2009, 06:56 AM
just ride the rims....:roflblack:

Bersquack
09-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Nick, you are a brave man. :yikes:

DannyS
09-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Burr makes me cold just looking at it. I have no desire to ride in snow. The only time I like to see snow is in a snowglobe. Thats why I lived in Calif. for 30 years. :spyder2:

spyderlover2
09-26-2009, 11:58 AM
:2thumbs: thanks for the pics Nick! thats exactly what i needed.

thanks to all of you for your .02 cents and great advice! :2thumbs:
:helpsmilie:keep it up...i need all the advice i can get!
i know i am still daring enough to ride in the snow! but i believe i wont keep that up after the salt comes out....i know what the salt can do! i try my best to care for my rides....but spending 2-3 hours detailing the Spyder every day just isnt worth it to ride in salt covered roads! but when its fresh....LOOK OUT! :gaah: :roflblack:

BajaRon
09-26-2009, 06:39 PM
You just need to quit messing around with a sissy studded tire and do it right like this guy did!

Roaddog2
09-26-2009, 07:21 PM
or this........not your everyday sissy studded tire.....

http://www.gryphinracing.com/24029_08.jpgKeep Smylinacha off of the frozen lake :ohyea:although it is fun it has to be at least 4'' thick :ani29:

BajaRon
09-26-2009, 07:26 PM
or this........not your everyday sissy studded tire.....

http://www.gryphinracing.com/24029_08.jpg

Well, you'll need something on the front to go with the studded track on the back. But I get your meaning....there are sissy studded tires and then there are tires like this one!

Wow!

NancysToy
09-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Don't need any if ya' do it right..........:doorag:

All those years I wasted trying to race on the ice! :roflblack:

spyderlover2
09-26-2009, 07:54 PM
OK THEN......THOSE "tires" ARE A BIT EXTREME...:roflblack:
no need here to ice race here! still, the pic and the video were cool! thanks! :2thumbs: