PDA

View Full Version : Considering a RT, need your help

michaels cycle
09-25-2009, 09:30 PM
I presently ride a '03 Goldwing, but I'm intrigued by the introduction of the RT touring version that really caught my eye.
Comparing the two rides isn't fair, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

I also know all or any rides have their problems including the Goldwing,
but following "Spyder shop talk" forum here and reading all the quirks these machines have, I'm getting cold feet fast.

What worry's me is the Goldwing is a proven two wheeler with a "iron horse" 1832cc engine.
With Spyder, the jury is still out for longevity/durability with less power, but with 3-wheel stability, a big plus.

The price on both units are almost equal.

There's rumors on a new Goldwing, but nobody knows for sure.

My next purchase will probably be my last because of age so any help here would be appreciated.

Cheers!

BeRight
09-25-2009, 09:47 PM
My take is that the Spyder is the only front wheeled trike in town - proven stability production trike motorcycle. BRP is entering their third year of production - lessons learned.

The Spyder gives you three legs - no longer need to put your feet down, nor have to worry about dropping it.

As to engine reliability - we will not know for a few more years. You can get up to 5 years of warranty at a reasonable price for added security if you need it- it comes with 2 years at no additional cost.

For me my days of two wheeling are over. Three wheels are safer than two and have their own style of fun.

I've been a Spyder rider for almost a year now and have no regrets - one of the better decisions I've ever made.

Online forums for any motorcycle tend to focus on issues/problems but my take is that the vast majority of owners are happy Spyder owners. Check out the bottom of posters signature to see if they are happy Spyder owners.

Test rides should be available at your local dealer sometime in November. Ride it and you'll probably buy it.

ataDude
09-25-2009, 09:56 PM
... I also know all or any rides have their problems including the Goldwing, but following "Spyder shop talk" forum here and reading all the quirks these machines have, I'm getting me cold feet fast...
Never fear... I got rid of my silver 2006 GL1800 shortly after buying the Spyder. The Spyder is now my 90%-of-the-time bike, including traveling. I still have the highly mod-ed 1998 Valkyrie as a (very) secondary M/C.

I've had good luck with mine... except for the Gear Position Sensor that I replaced myself.

Do it. :ohyea:

3wheeldemon
09-25-2009, 10:25 PM
My take is that the Spyder is the only front wheeled trike in town - proven stability production trike motorcycle. BRP is entering their third year of production - lessons learned.

The Spyder gives you three legs - no longer need to put your feet down, nor have to worry about dropping it.

As to engine reliability - we will not know for a few more years. You can get up to 5 years of warranty at a reasonable price for added security if you need it- it comes with 2 years at no additional cost.

For me my days of two wheeling are over. Three wheels are safer than two and have their own style of fun.

I've been a Spyder rider for almost a year now and have no regrets - one of the better decisions I've ever made.

Online forums for any motorcycle tend to focus on issues/problems but my take is that the vast majority of owners are happy Spyder owners. Check out the bottom of posters signature to see if they are happy Spyder owners.

Test rides should be available at your local dealer sometime in November. Ride it and you'll probably buy it.

:agree:100% I could not say it better.:thumbup:

3WD

NancysToy
09-26-2009, 05:43 AM
I have wanted a full-fledged touring bike for a long time. I have a BMW R1100RT sport-tourer but always wanted the plush ride of a BMW K1200LT or a Goldwing. My deteriorating knees and my arthritis made me shy away from these monsters, though. I won't even take one for a test ride. Riding one two-up, with the passenger sitting a story higher than the rider wasn't a comfortng thought, either. I hated to even ride my BMW RT double, and that was one of the reasons my wife got her own Spyder. I have ridden a Goldwing trike, but didn't like the handling in corners or the difficult steering. I also had a Harley Servicar in earlier years. Sidecars were a consideration, but they're pretty evil, handling differently in each direction. The Spyder RT was the obvious choice for me, as soon as it was announced.

Having owned a Premiere Edition Spyder RS since March of 2008 made this an easier choice. We have had only minor difficulties, and reliability isn't an issue for me. Sure it is a bit of an unknown, unlike the BMW or GW, but I have no big fears. There have been a lot of folks who put on a whole lot of miles on Spyders these first two years. The BEST extended warranty should help with piece of mind, in that regard. Having owned a Premier Edition Spyder RS since March of 2008, the RT should hold few surprises, and that made my decision easier, too. Can't say it will be my last bike, or even my only bike, since we will keep the Spyder and we have 22 other motorcycles, but that is probably a testimony to its appeal, too.

I suggest you take a demo ride or two on a regular Spyder before you decide on an RT. The seating position and comfort will not be as easy on the RS, nor will the weather protection, but it will give you an idea whether you like the way the Spyder handles. It takes some getting used to, and some technique, but it is an extremely responsive and stable ride. I think you will be pleased. Hope you join us with your own RT soon.

DannyS
09-26-2009, 10:48 AM
One thing that no one has mention about the GoldWings (or I missed it) is the closing of the Ohio plant and taking production back to Japan. Now I know that quality and reliability will not go down. But the price will go up. They have a higher labor cost there and there will be shipping costs from Japan that will be higher than the shipping costs from Ohio. I look for the GW cost to be considerably higher and higher still if they bring out a new GoldWing.:spyder2:

jnt
09-26-2009, 01:30 PM
If this is 'last purchase because of age' I'd guess you could ryde the Spyder longer into your age journey than you could a Wing, JMHO.

Oldmanzues
09-26-2009, 02:05 PM
I got into the Spyder because of advancing age, but will stay for the fun of it. I rode several 3 wheelers, including some auto based ones. The spyder is good for any age group. Something was missing or a huge problem.
have heard their will be a increase in price for the wing, but do not know. The price difference for three wheels in no where close. Triking a Wing runs (fromw what I hear) 12 to 14 thousand, plus the Wing cost. The RT ( set up like a Wing) is 25 thousand or a little less. A RT with a matching trailer is 29 or so.
I went from a ST110 to my Spyer and love it. I still have the ST, but seldom ride it. The Spyder is just to much fun. Easy to ride. I just came back from Spyder in the Smokies. Deals Gap. Skyway, others roads and talking to0 other owners.
So I would agree take a test ride. the difference in handling is great
I am going change my info to Happy Spyder owner as soon as I figure out how.

Old Man Zues.