PDA

View Full Version : helmet warranty sucks

tweeder
09-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I just got a call back from the dealer that I bought the bike as well as $2500 worth of extras. I had a problem with the helmet that I bought, the scorpion exo-700. I have always used the extra visor with the drop down sunshade. A couple weeks ago it started building moisture in between the two layors. I sent the visor back with a friend that was going there(1400kms one way) I'm about 4 months over the one year warranty. BRP said no warranty, but I could but the visor for $70.... uh let me think I obviously waisted my money the first time so I don't think i'll be doing it again. Since then I had to put the stock visor back on, man is that loud with wind noise, almost unbareable; that and the first good rain that I rode in, it started leaking down the inside from the top. I guess i'm another person that got shafted by the BRP warranty. Other than that I liked the helmet.

NancysToy
09-25-2009, 03:56 PM
I just got a call back from the dealer that I bought the bike as well as $2500 worth of extras. I had a problem with the helmet that I bought, the scorpion exo-700. I have always used the extra visor with the drop down sunshade. A couple weeks ago it started building moisture in between the two layors. I sent the visor back with a friend that was going there(1400kms one way) I'm about 4 months over the one year warranty. BRP said no warranty, but I could but the visor for $70.... uh let me think I obviously waisted my money the first time so I don't think i'll be doing it again. Since then I had to put the stock visor back on, man is that loud with wind noise, almost unbareable; that and the first good rain that I rode in, it started leaking down the inside from the top. I guess i'm another person that got shafted by the BRP warranty. Other than that I liked the helmet.
Huh? Let me get this straight, you were four months past the one year warranty, but somehow feel you got shafted? A year is a year, not 16 months. Sorry to hear you have problems, but the simple fact is that your warranty period is over.

Dudley
09-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Huh? Let me get this straight, you were four months past the one year warranty, but somehow feel you got shafted? A year is a year, not 16 months. Sorry to hear you have problems, but the simple fact is that your warranty period is over.

Seems pretty clear to me. Unless we are missing something between the lines.

MizMuffet
09-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Why would a BRP warranty cover a Scorpion helmet? Does BRP make Scorpion?

tweeder
09-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Well the way I see it is if I shell out $250 It better last me more than a year plus 4 months. Its not like I bought a cheap $50 helmet from crappytire, I just got 5000kms on the bike. My Arctic cat skidoo helmet is several years old and no problems at all. I'll be pissed if I have to but a new helmet every 5000kms, that adds up.

tweeder
09-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Why would a BRP warranty cover a Scorpion helmet? Does BRP make Scorpion?

It has the BRP logo on the back, It might not be a "scorpion" per say maybey just a model line?

Dudley
09-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Well the way I see it is if I shell out $250 It better last me more than a year plus 4 months. Its not like I bought a cheap $50 helmet from crappytire, I just got 5000kms on the bike. My Arctic cat skidoo helmet is several years old and no problems at all. I'll be pissed if I have to but a new helmet every 5000kms, that adds up.

Well, you can feel anyway you want to...a warranty is a warranty. When you bought it you knew that. And if I may suggest, express your dismay without using some of the discriptive words you have posted.

NancysToy
09-25-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm sorry you are unhappy. Sometimes you get a bad break. I have a Scorpion Exo-700 that is a couple of years old, and it is still doing fine. Not sure why you have had difficulties, but it is not typical of the Scorpion.

tweeder
09-25-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm sorry you are unhappy. Sometimes you get a bad break. I have a Scorpion Exo-700 that is a couple of years old, and it is still doing fine. Not sure why you have had difficulties, but it is not typical of the Scorpion.

Are you runnin the drop down sunvisor part of the helmet? If not how do you find the wind noise? Mine seems to come from the gap between the visor and helmet and changes pitch when I look up or down.

NancysToy
09-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Are you running the drop down sunvisor part of the helmet? If not how do you find the wind noise? Mine seems to come from the gap between the visor and helmet and changes pitch when I look up or down.
The drop down sunvisor is equipped on the EXO-1000, not the EXO-700, so I have no problem there. I do know that the Scorpion is not the quietest helmet I have ever owned, although I love it in other respects. Putting the CHAD on the Spyder helped the wind noise quite a bit. For long rides I wear my earplugs. For rides on my naked bikes, I usually wear another helmet.

BajaRon
09-25-2009, 05:39 PM
I do a little bit of business in the helmet market. We don't carry Scorpion but I've heard they are a good helmet.

Not all helmet manufacturers offer any warranty on the shield (visor) so 1 year isn't too bad in that regard.

And, as posted by others, good, bad or otherwise, a 1 year warranty is just that.

Still, I've found that many times the manufacturer is more lenient than the dealer. The dealer may or may not have contacted Scorpion but even so, it may be worth a try for you to give them a call.

In my opinion you're better off just giving them the facts and not going off on them about the problem. Tell them you really like the helmet (you do don't you) except that you have this one, really annoying issue with it and the dealer's solution of just purchasing another (Possibly problematic) part is less than appealing to you.

All they can tell you is no, and that won't set you back any since that's where you are now.

Here is their customer service number 888-672-6774. If you have to purchase another shield I'd suggest searching the Internet. It's a lot less expensive than a dealer asking list price (usually).

Good luck!

BajaRon
09-25-2009, 05:40 PM
The drop down sunvisor is equipped on the EXO-1000, not the EXO-700, so I have no problem there. I do know that the Scorpion is not the quietest helmet I have ever owned, although I love it in other respects. Putting the CHAD on the Spyder helped the wind noise quite a bit. For long rides I wear my earplugs. For rides on my naked bikes, I usually wear another helmet.

You have naked bikes!!! :yikes:

You should be ASHAMED!

NancysToy
09-25-2009, 06:17 PM
You have naked bikes!!! :yikes:

You should be ASHAMED!
Why should I be ashamed, they're the ones that are naked? :joke:

Bersquack
09-25-2009, 06:22 PM

:roflblack:

Jokes aside, I agree with what has been said so far. I got an iPod 2 years ago and the battery died 1 month after the warranty ended. It is what it is. Sorry.

tweeder
09-25-2009, 06:54 PM
I do a little bit of business in the helmet market. We don't carry Scorpion but I've heard they are a good helmet.

Not all helmet manufacturers offer any warranty on the shield (visor) so 1 year isn't too bad in that regard.

And, as posted by others, good, bad or otherwise, a 1 year warranty is just that.

Still, I've found that many times the manufacturer is more lenient than the dealer. The dealer may or may not have contacted Scorpion but even so, it may be worth a try for you to give them a call.

In my opinion you're better off just giving them the facts and not going off on them about the problem. Tell them you really like the helmet (you do don't you) except that you have this one, really annoying issue with it and the dealer's solution of just purchasing another (Possibly problematic) part is less than appealing to you.

All they can tell you is no, and that won't set you back any since that's where you are now.

Here is their customer service number 888-672-6774. If you have to purchase another shield I'd suggest searching the Internet. It's a lot less expensive than a dealer asking list price (usually).

Good luck!

Thanks for the number i'll see if they can help. I only noticed the noise and water leaking after putting back the stock visor. The drop down one has a membrane that slides up with the visor thats tight against the helmet.

tweeder
09-25-2009, 06:56 PM
:roflblack:

Jokes aside, I agree with what has been said so far. I got an iPod 2 years ago and the battery died 1 month after the warranty ended. It is what it is. Sorry.

I guess truth be told is that theres no money in making things last and they'll get you on the next one that you purchase. I was never told about any warranty but I didn't ask either, just assumed it would be better.

spyryder
09-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I just got a call back from the dealer that I bought the bike as well as $2500 worth of extras. I had a problem with the helmet that I bought, the scorpion exo-700. I have always used the extra visor with the drop down sunshade. A couple weeks ago it started building moisture in between the two layors.

You could probably drill a few small holes in those layers for venting. ;)

BajaRon
09-25-2009, 08:01 PM

What are you doing with them!!!

NO! Don't tell me! I don't want to know!!! :yikes:

BajaRon
09-25-2009, 08:05 PM
I guess truth be told is that theres no money in making things last and they'll get you on the next one that you purchase. I was never told about any warranty but I didn't ask either, just assumed it would be better.

You should have a 3 year warranty on the helmet. It's just the shield that has a 1 year warranty.

Really not a bad warranty package at all. Most shields don't last even a year with scratches, etc.

But I guess it all depends on how you take care of it, how much you ride and what you're running into.

Hope Scorpion helps you out. But if they don't they still lived up to the agreement.

ataDude
09-25-2009, 08:11 PM

Good luck!

:2thumbs: I had some rubber seals wear out on 7-10 year-old Nolan flip faces. Tracked down the email address in Italy... offered to buy two... they forwarded to their US distributor... had TWO seals in the mail about a week later... FREE.

Jeffsm69
09-25-2009, 08:23 PM
You should have a 3 year warranty on the helmet. It's just the shield that has a 1 year warranty.

Really not a bad warranty package at all. Most shields don't last even a year with scratches, etc.

But I guess it all depends on how you take care of it, how much you ride and what you're running into.

Hope Scorpion helps you out. But if they don't they still lived up to the agreement.

Damn, I can't believe how short these helmet warrenties are, I've always spared no expense when it comes to buying a helmet. My Arai come with a 5 year warrenty and it includes everything. Any problems, ship it back and they replace the helmet, no questions asked. You get what you pay for.

tweeder
09-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Damn, I can't believe how short these helmet warrenties are, I've always spared no expense when it comes to buying a helmet. My Arai come with a 5 year warrenty and it includes everything. Any problems, ship it back and they replace the helmet, no questions asked. You get what you pay for.

If thats the case and I have to pay then i'll goto an arai then and use my old one as a jack stand or somethin.

tweeder
09-25-2009, 10:37 PM

Well thats good that theres a decent warranty on the helmet part.

dltang
09-26-2009, 05:16 AM
If thats the case and I have to pay then i'll goto an arai then and use my old one as a jack stand or somethin.

You do realize that you are going to pay significantly more for an Arai helmet vs. the Scorpion don't you? Yes you do get what you pay for and it is great that the Arai comes with a 5 year warranty but make sure you are one to keep a helmet for 5 years first. I have the HJC Carbon Fiber and it was a more expensive helmet but I wanted a light helmet. You have to decide what is important and are you willing to pay for it. Good luck with whatever you choose.

NancysToy
09-26-2009, 06:16 AM
Manufacturers recommend that you replace a helmet every 3-5 years. Their ability to protect is thought to deteriorate in time, and nobody tests old helmets to find out for sure. I would consider five years to be the outside, and replace my helmets by that time. Faceshield become scratched or fogged within a year or two, and I normally have to replace them a time or two before I retire a helmet. As to the seals, they require periodic maintenance, and eventually will harden and fail, especially if they are not maintained, or the helmet is left in the sun frequently. Unfortunately, all these things benefit the helmet manufacturer, and come out of our pockets. Even the most expensive helmets are a relative bargain these days, though. Based on the Consumer Price Index, the $100 Bell helmet I bought to protect my noggin in 1954 would cost nearly $700 today.

Motza
09-26-2009, 06:49 AM
If you purchased your helmet with a VISA card you could have doubled the warranty time to 2 years on your helmet, at no extra cost......they usally double the manufacturers warranty, check it out.

Remember that when you purchase a helmet... it's all about the fit.

tweeder
09-26-2009, 10:52 AM
If you purchased your helmet with a VISA card you could have doubled the warranty time to 2 years on your helmet, at no extra cost......they usally double the manufacturers warranty, check it out.

Remember that when you purchase a helmet... it's all about the fit.

Nope mastercard, but i'll check it through them.

Dochands
09-26-2009, 11:31 AM
A bit off subject but interesting article in the NY Times about Snell rated helmets. Appears we in America might be a bit behind the times and less safe with our helmets.

BajaRon
09-26-2009, 06:30 PM
A bit off subject but interesting article in the NY Times about Snell rated helmets. Appears we in America might be a bit behind the times and less safe with our helmets.

The Snell debate is finally going in the right direction. Snell stared out as an automotive helmet testing agency which is a whole nother world from what a Motorcycle helmet needs to be.

Snell got into the Motorcycle helmet arena later but simply applied what they had learned in the automotive racing business to MC helmets. And even though evidence builds that MC helmets need to address different issues than automotive helmets, Snell's mind set has never changed. Not good for MC riders as the Snell requirements actually make a MC helmet less protective. Many DOT only helmets offer better protection than any Snell rated helmet.

It has nothing to do (necessarily) with production or materials quality, but with design.

Europe is much more MC concious than the US and has engineered their specs specifically for situations encounted by MC riders. Their helmet specs are superior to the current Snell requirements. Not because their engineers are better or smarter than ours. But because of the bull headedness of Snell and continued consumer support for whatever Snell does.

Like all big dogs, Snell has poo-pooed this for years with the head in the sand approach and "We know better than you" attitude. But reality has finally caught up with Snell and it appears they may be on the verge of actually doing the right thing. It is my hope that they will develop a spec criteria that will allow MC helmet producers to make safer MC helmets while being able to put the all important, consumer demanded, sales feature (a Snell sticker) inside the helmet.

So far, Snell has been much more successful at marketing their specs (convincing unsuspecting MC riders that Snell helmets are better) than they have been at actually producing better helmet protection for MC riders.

Dochands
09-27-2009, 09:30 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?_r=1&hpw

Not sure this link will work but it is to the online article.

northramp
09-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Interesting read.
The Snell rating has been a gold standard for auto racers for a while. When u think of it a motorcycle requirement is much different than that of a Hans deviced, simpson 5 point belted, roll cage racer. I swore by Snell in auto racing but can see the difference on the bike risk and the whole issue of the ability to still protect on the second and third hit in different spots on the helmet. Whats interesting is that even when Snell goes for the 2010 upped standard it will take years for the old rating to flush out of the system ..
You have to dig into the inside of the padding of the helmet to see what year rating it has.

Didn t know that .. great article.

If you have a $70.00 head ..buy a $70.00 helmet...

Firefly
09-27-2009, 03:15 PM

My first helmet for the Spyder was the 700 also--- but I'm confused--- were you using the really thick dual shield--- with the sliding amber sun shade???? That's for winter use--- like snowmobiles. I now use the EXO 1000 with internal retractable sun shade and really like it. Also got a EX-100 1/2 helmet with retractable shield.

Really like them all--- now if I can just remember to wear them!:roflblack:

NancysToy
09-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Just slap yourself in the side of the head every once in a while when you are riding. If it hurts, you forgot your helmet. :joke:

BajaRon
09-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Interesting read.
The Snell rating has been a gold standard for auto racers for a while. When u think of it a motorcycle requirement is much different than that of a Hans deviced, simpson 5 point belted, roll cage racer. I swore by Snell in auto racing but can see the difference on the bike risk and the whole issue of the ability to still protect on the second and third hit in different spots on the helmet. Whats interesting is that even when Snell goes for the 2010 upped standard it will take years for the old rating to flush out of the system ..
You have to dig into the inside of the padding of the helmet to see what year rating it has.

Didn t know that .. great article.

If you have a $70.00 head ..buy a $70.00 helmet...

That is a good article and sheds some light on the "universally assumed" superiority of a Snell rated MC helmet.

Snell is the gold standard for Auto Racing and their standards work very well in that environment. That is why Snell is so highly revered worldwide. But that isn't the whole story.

In a race car your head, and what it will most likely hit, are very restricted. Blunt trama to the same place on the helmet is very likely in a race car accident. So you need a good hard shell to withstand multiple impacts to the same place on the helmet.

But this kind of event is very very rare in a motorcycle accident. The same place on the helmet is almost never struck twice and the g's encountered are usually higher as the head is unrestricted and the distance between head and impact point are greater allowing for greater accelleration between head and impact point. (Lovely stuff, I know, but it is what it is).

So whereas an auto helmet places a hight priority on helmet shell ingegrity and a lesser emphasis on head decelleration protection. These priorities need to be exaclty reversed in a motorcycle helmet.

It is a shame that Snell has not (to date) switched gears to accomodate the different environment encountered by the MC rider. Choosing, instead, to rely on their great name recognition to make their point instead of acknowledged science.

In this case, what is good for the Goose does not work well for the Gander.

A motorcycle rider actually wants the outer helmet shell to crush with impact, not stay intact as with an auto helmet. The crushing action allows the helmet to absorb impact (g's) which are very damaging to your brain.

DOT standdards come closer to this goal than do current Snell requirements.

The requirement for a good stiff shell adds more weight to the helmet than any other part. In a car helmet weight isn't as big a deal. But we all know what a heavy MC helmet does to us, especially on a long ride.

The shell doesn't necessarily need to be thinner, but needs to be less dense so that it will crush before brain damage is inflicted.

NancysToy
09-27-2009, 05:28 PM
I have long been a proponent of the "head deceleration" based standard like the ECE 22. On the other hand, the strength of the Snell helmets has saved my bacon in race cars, and probably on cycles, too. I personally feel, from personal experience, that you are likely to sustain multiple blows, often in multiple places, in many accidents in either cars or on motorcycles. Both slow deceleration and a strong shell are important, IMO. I think the new Snell standards will be a step in the right direction, when and if they are fully implemented.

Ron is right about impacts from greater distances on a motorcycle...at least initial impacts. You are more likely to have an impact with a sharp or irregularly shaped object in a motorcycle crash, too. Perhaps the ideal situation would be have separate standards for auto racing and motorcycle helmets, but that would probably just add more confusion to an already muddy situation.

I no longer put great stock in the Snell vs. DOT vs. ECE debate. You can find good arguments on all sides. For now, the important thing is to wear an approved helmet that fits properly! From there on it is still mostly a matter of personal choice.

Motza
09-27-2009, 07:18 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?_r=1&hpw

Not sure this link will work but it is to the online article.
EXCELLENT THREAD!!!

I read some where that a manufacturer was designing the inside liner of their helmet do inflate like an airbag to custom form fit each individual head sounds like a good idea to me, anyone else read about this?

Firefly
09-27-2009, 08:59 PM
EXCELLENT THREAD!!!

I read some where that a manufacturer was designing the inside liner of their helmet do inflate like an airbag to custom form fit each individual head sounds like a good idea to me, anyone else read about this?

My exo-1000 does that.

SSG Bean
09-27-2009, 09:08 PM
I've read other articles that debate the value of a "Snell" rated helmet. Based on that, I chose to go with a Shark RSR2 because it is both DOT and ECE rated. Luckily, I don't know how well it works in an accident. However, I do enjoy the piece of mind.:thumbup:

BajaRon
09-28-2009, 11:18 AM
the important thing is to wear an approved helmet that fits properly! From there on it is still mostly a matter of personal choice.

Well said!

I've been selling MC helmets now for over 10 years. I like to get into whatever I do and the helmet thing is no different.

Arai has done several studies in the area of fit and they have found that correct helmet fit is actually more important than helmet design and quality in the full face realm (to a point).

Of course a wll fit, well made, high quality helmet offers the ultimate in function and protection, don't get me wrong.

The disturbing news is that in every study Arai has done, about 70% of the non-professional riders choose a helmet at least 1 size too large for them. And many are wearing a helmet 2 sizes too large for a proper, safe fit.

There are many reasons for this including head shape. But the biggest reason seems to be an uninformed idea of how a properly fitted helmet should feel.

The most expensive helmet made is of little value if your head is rattling around inside like a marble in a cage.

My head size was a Medium by the sizing chart but I always wore a Large because the medium was just TOO TIGHT!

Working for the fire department and going to MC accidents where the rider lost their helmet during the crash caused me to look more closely at the whole issue.

Once I got used to wearing the proper size helmet (a Medium in my case) I was amazed at how much better the whole helmet experience and function became.

It took a bit of determination, on my part, as the proper size helmet seemed way too tight, hard to get on and off, etc. But it was all a matter of doing it right and changing my concept of what "Felt" right on my head.

Improper head shape is not uncommon. The terms 'Shoei Head', 'HJC Head', etc., come from people who understand proper head shape fit. The idea is to get the same amount of pressure (padding contact) for all areas of the head.

If you get the wrong head shape you'll get pressure points that will be very uncomfortable. The solution is NOT to get the next size bigger helmet to eliminate the pressure points! That's were most of us go wrong. The answer is to get a helmet that fits our head shape properly.

Arai is rare in that they make 3 different head shaped helmet (Round, Long Oval and Intermediate) so it is possible to find an Arai helmet that will fit you properly. This is not true of every helmet manufacturer.

But there are many great helmets out there and if you find a brand that fits you properly then you're on the right track.

I get customers all the time wanting an Arai helmet with a particular paint scheme. A customer may want a paint schemet that only comes in the Round shapped helmet but they need the Long Oval to fit properly.

What do they do? Do they get the correct helmet shape? NO! They opt for a larger size in the wrong helmet shape, just to get the paint scheme they like.

Now I'm no different than the next person. I want a good looking helmet. But you have to put your priorities in the right place.

Most people put more effort into deciding which windshield or muffler to put on their ride than they do into which helmet to wear. I am convinced that this is due not to a lack of concern but because people just do not understand what is required.

Many retailers are (unfortunately) more interested in selling the customer what they have than in getting the customer what they need. And many are no more knowledgable than the customer about what makes a good, safe helmet. It's more than price and a good paint job.

Just my 2 Cents.

tweeder
09-28-2009, 11:55 AM
My first helmet for the Spyder was the 700 also--- but I'm confused--- were you using the really thick dual shield--- with the sliding amber sun shade???? That's for winter use--- like snowmobiles. I now use the EXO 1000 with internal retractable sun shade and really like it. Also got a EX-100 1/2 helmet with retractable shield.

Winter...I cant get out of my driveway without 4X4, sertainly not the spyder. Its nothing for us to get 6 feet of snow overnight. Yes I use the dual shield for the retractable sun shade. That and now I know its quieter and doesn't leak.

NancysToy
09-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Good post, Ron. You explained the fit concept very well. I used to be guilty of this myself, until an accident knocked me unconscious for several hours. I came to the conclusion that the only reason for that was either a helmet that provided insufficient head deceleration, or a helmet that was too loose, and allowed my head to bang into the helmet, so to speak. At that point I became very conscious of helmet fit and not only helmet standards, but the actual test results. It takes some time to find a helmet that fits properly, and professional help, like a trained Arai representative doesn't hurt, either. For those that buy a helmet because they like the looks, remember that none of them look too good with your brains plastered all over the inside!

Jeffsm69
09-28-2009, 06:15 PM
:agree:

Good post Ron, that's exactly why I only buy Arai, I wear the long oval to get a perfect fit, the first Arai I bought was the RX7 Corsair (Intermediate Oval) 5 years ago, my new Arai is the Profile (Long Oval).

BajaRon
09-28-2009, 09:37 PM
:agree:

Good post Ron, that's exactly why I only buy Arai, I wear the long oval to get a perfect fit, the first Arai I bought was the RX7 Corsair (Intermediate Oval) 5 years ago, my new Arai is the Profile (Long Oval).

Sounds like you've put in some effort to get it right. Once you know what a properly fit helmet feels like it gets a lot easier to know what you need.

Fortunately, most people never get the chance to try the safety aspects of their helmet. But you just can't count on that.

Spending a lot of money and having faith in your helmet isn't enough. I know I'm preaching but I just hate for people to find out they're wearing the wrong helmet the hard way.

Tom in NM
09-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Sounds like you've put in some effort to get it right. Once you know what a properly fit helmet feels like it gets a lot easier to know what you need.

Fortunately, most people never get the chance to try the safety aspects of their helmet. But you just can't count on that.

Spending a lot of money and having faith in your helmet isn't enough. I know I'm preaching but I just hate for people to find out they're wearing the wrong helmet the hard way.

Ron, I agree with everything you wrote - and like Scotty, I had my own "why you should wear a good helmet" experience, a run in with a flying football sized chunk of concrete at highway speed - straight into the forehead. It knocked me out and I was blind for a couple of weeks, but the helmet preserved the little brains I was born with. The bike was totaled, run over by a semi, I was told, and I had some minor cuts on my face, black eyes, a burn on my leg and 1001 bruises. One of the luckiest days in my life.

That one time saved my life - I have always worn helmets on anything faster than a bicycle - always will. But I hate my current helmet - over the summer it has slowly deformed and now fits poorly and has broken 4 pairs of glasses and cutting me, once bad enough that I almost got stitches. Hate, does not describe what I feel for that helmet. I can hardly wait until I find a replacement.

And that is the problem - finding a good helmet that fits has been going on for over 3 months now. My head is nothing special, but the helmet manufacturers and cycle shops (here) are selling fashion, not safety. I have been to nearly every shop in town, in general the selection is poor and expensive. No trials, no returns and no size in stock that fits, but they would be happy to get if for me in 3 weeks for 50% more than if I ordered it direct - with no return or credit since it is a special order - unlike most website sellers.

I look at all the helmet reviews, but since this quest for a new helmet has begun, it has become clear that helmets are manufactured and marketed for appearance. Protection (physical, hearing, and vision) are relegated to the small print. The finish and "styling" are given prime billing and focus.

While it is easy to blame the shops, I think the buck ends up at the manufacturers - in more ways than one. I think it is reasonable to think that in the 44 years that I have been wearing helmets, that they would be significantly better in every respect than the white Bell I wore in the mid-60s. They are significantly "fancier" and more expensive, but have not made the same kind of strides in protection, fit, ease of use and durability. Given that, I find their "safety studies, ratings and safety first statements more than a little disingenuous. Especially, since they effectively deny any kind of "insurance" from harm or guarantee of performance of their product.

If I didn't care, I would not gripe about it. Your postings clearly show you care and work hard to make helmets work for people. In all my years riding, you are the first "sales person" I have ever heard speak with that level of product knowledge and interest in the customer. The first. Nobody else even close. I just think you (and the rest of us) should have a much better products to deal with, instead of expensive fashion statements.

Tom

SethO
09-29-2009, 12:47 AM
I have had about 5 different helmets, 2 of which were used (crashed with) both where shoei and RF 900 and RF 1000 both saved my life, this isn't a endorsement but truth, I am in a wheelchair so it is funny to say it saved my life but believe me if you have not had a head injury YOU DO NOT WANT ONE let alone two.

arai makes the best helmets period, I have a vector round oval style, and online you can buy a graphic (silver camo is what they had in the size that fit my misshapen skull) for about 350 bucks. Ask yourself what your head is worth, that is what I tell new riders, I have 17.5K on my spyder this year, 16.5k are which this current lid. Once you find out how to take the shields on and off,its a 15 second job to switch from clear to mirrored.

Believe me when I say I did not want to admit that shoei was not as good as arai , my bro runs arai lids and I would be damned to have him have something better than me until I used his lid one day.

Anyway you have to try on a all the lids you can before you buy one, I wear skull candy ear buds and listen to my ipod when I ride, because I hate wind noise and it slows me down. No helmet is going to be quiet as your car.

I also have a helmet clip so I can get it on and off being like this it is a life saver because being handicrapped you use one arm to balance and with the clip you can do it with one hand. It does hold up in a accident, I have had one in both my accidents.

NancysToy
09-29-2009, 07:06 AM
Tom,
I sympathize with you in your plight to find a helmet that fits. Your problem with deteriorating fit is common. Most helmets feel good for 30 seconds in the store, but start to make you wish they were still on the shelf much later, as they break in. Like Ron said, you need to carefully feel for equal pressure on all parts of your head. This isn't easy in the store. The best bet is to leave the helmet on for at least five minutes, with no distractions, and concentrate on the feel of it. Also do the tug and movement tests recommended by Arai for proper fit.

Like you, my wife had a horrible time. Two years of visits to motorcycle shops couldn't find her a new lid. We finally went to a Cycle World Motorcycle Show where there was an Arai vendor with one of every size and shape of helmet and pad on display. The trained dealer was enormously helpful in finding just the right helmet for Nancy. We even found a color match for her Spyder! I have a somewhat easier time, but have concentrated on fit much more closely these days. My Scorpion is the best fitting helmet...and thus the most comfortable, I have ever worn. It is also by far and away the tightest fit. Keep looking, you'll find a match!

BajaRon
09-29-2009, 10:18 AM
I look at all the helmet reviews, but since this quest for a new helmet has begun, it has become clear that helmets are manufactured and marketed for appearance. Protection (physical, hearing, and vision) are relegated to the small print. The finish and "styling" are given prime billing and focus.

While it is easy to blame the shops, I think the buck ends up at the manufacturers - in more ways than one. I think it is reasonable to think that in the 44 years that I have been wearing helmets, that they would be significantly better in every respect than the white Bell I wore in the mid-60s. They are significantly "fancier" and more expensive, but have not made the same kind of strides in protection, fit, ease of use and durability. Given that, I find their "safety studies, ratings and safety first statements more than a little disingenuous. Especially, since they effectively deny any kind of "insurance" from harm or guarantee of performance of their product.

Tom

Finding the right helmet can be easy or frustrating depending on many factors. Not the least of which are avaialble helmets to try on and knowledgable help.

Most helmets are actually better at protecting your head today than they were in times past. Arai (and other manufacturers) keep exhaustive records on professional racing accidents/injuries.

Even though speeds have gone up quite a bit, head injuries/severity per crash has gone down. Crashes are rated for head impact and injuries evaluated on that basis. Without going into the details, well made modern helmets from good manufacturer's are much better at protecting the head, brain than they were in the past.

The new helmets are lighter and more flexable but don't let that fool you. These are actually better for your head then the old "hard as iron" helmets. I used to wear an old white Bell myself.

I would be more than happy to help you out if I can. It is difficult to fit someone properly over the Internet. When dealing on the Internet it is best to know what you need before you shop. This is where many people have a problem and sounds like this is where you are stuck.

Tom in NM
09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Finding the right helmet can be easy or frustrating depending on many factors. Not the least of which are avaialble helmets to try on and knowledgable help.
I would be more than happy to help you out if I can. It is difficult to fit someone properly over the Internet. When dealing on the Internet it is best to know what you need before you shop. This is where many people have a problem and sounds like this is where you are stuck.

Tom,
I sympathize with you in your plight to find a helmet that fits.
Keep looking, you'll find a match!

I have had about 5 different helmets, 2 of which were used (crashed with) both where shoei and RF 900 and RF 1000 both saved my life, this isn't a endorsement but truth, I am in a wheelchair so it is funny to say it saved my life but believe me if you have not had a head injury YOU DO NOT WANT ONE let alone two.

Ron, thanks for the offer, but I will continue slugging my way through this - and Seth and Scotty, I agree 100%.

It is just that it "should" not be so difficult. That is my opinion based on my observations. Like you guys and the others, I think a helmet is very important - period. It is disheartening to see so many without helmets because of high cost, poor and painful fits, and all the other discomforts they can inflict. Seth is right when he says, the risks (of no helmet) are not worth it.

It is equally disheartening to see riders putting on helmets and you can tell that they will help in an accident, but they are not fitting right and are not going to provide the assumed protection. Very sad.

Meantime, the selection of Star Wars themed helmet designs grows and everybody is just on edge waiting for the Hello Kitty editions. They will pander to the market and ignore your neck injuries and only focus on meeting standards that are not true to real life. Only now are some manufacturers coming up with modular and adjustable liners. In its own way, my 40 year old Bell had that.

I am sure that there are caring, responsible, and capable people in these companies and I realize they are businesses, but as far as meeting any social obligation, they get a D+ grade. There are concessions to be made every step of the way, from design to use in any product like a helmet. I feel they have made some very fundamental bad ones along the way and have missed some life saving opportunities. A helmet saved my life once, but I know I was lucky then and I hope I never have to rely on my helmet again - the chances are, next time it will not.

Tom