PDA

View Full Version : Spyder for a newbie rider?

MidLife
09-25-2009, 01:52 PM
After many years of saying I was going to learn to ride, I’m finally going to do it. I’m still young enough for my bones to heal properly. :D

Although I don’t need an M1 license to drive a Spyder in CA, I’m going to take the MSF course, as my knowledge of motorcycles comes pretty much from watching "American Chopper."

The question I have for all if you is whether a Spyder would be good for a "newbie." I know BRP sort of markets it to everyone, but that’s marketing. What’s the reality.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks...

NewRider
09-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Is "Oh, Heck, Yes!";) I started riding this year, at age 67. Having no previous motorcycle riding experience, I found my SE5 (with the semi-automatic transmission) very easy to learn on. There were no habits I had to unlearn, as folks with conventional bikes must deal with. I hasten to add...relearning from 2-wheels to a trike isn't that difficult, but needs some careful thought and riding practice.

Come join us; the ridin' is fine!:ohyea:

Saluda
09-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Absolutely, give them a look. Think positive and don't worry about the bones. Drive safe and smart, watch the other guy. I feel you are much better off on a Spyder than a 2 wheel bike. Braking power alone is worth it.

SE5spyder
09-25-2009, 02:52 PM
I have never ridden a motorcycle before and never even considered riding one until I saw the Spyder. I bought the SE5 without even test driving one (didn't have a MC license). As mentioned it was easy to ride because of no motorcycle riding habits and because it was the SE5 model. You'll have a BLAST with it.:clap:

Tom in NM
09-25-2009, 03:38 PM
. . . . and test one. Several times, if you can. ( and do both the SM5 and the SE5 - Manual & Electronic )

Spyders are not for everyone - even if they are in a full-blown mid-life-crisis. But, if you enjoy your demo rides and end them with a smile and lots of adrenaline, follow your heart as far as your wallet will take you.

Tom

NancysToy
09-25-2009, 03:59 PM
I think it is a great choice. My wife started riding at the age of 55 when she bought her Spyder and took the MSF course. Go for it!

BumbleBee
09-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Spyder is great for a newbie!!! I too am a newbie, and bought a SE5 09 in June. I couldn't believe how easy it was to learn. I did all the practise courses which come with the spyder, that was a big plus for me.

So go for it, you will love it welcome

Tripod
09-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Welcome midlifer, I'm one myself...OK, a few semesters past. Anyway, where are you? I'm in North San Diego County. Maybe we could meet up and I'll show what I've done to my Spyder to make it perfect for our generation.

Tripod :joke:

Don in E Texas
09-25-2009, 05:53 PM
welcome
You're on the right track -- take the motorcycle safety course... I can't really add anything to what already has been said - good advice. Myself - I found making turns at 30 MPH my eyes were as wide open as a dinner plate and hanging on!!!!!! Now the same turns are done at 55 and no problem. There is a learning curve and never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly --- You WILL enjoy a Spyder!!!

don

Bersquack
09-25-2009, 06:24 PM
welcome

The Spyder was my first bike and am very happy about it. Took the MSF course and that was it. I now also own a two wheeler, but ride my spyder just as much.

MidLife
09-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I'm convinced. Now all I have to do is convince my wife. :D

jabba11
09-25-2009, 10:21 PM
MSF is fantatstic!! You get to learn the capapbilities of your machine in a safe controlled environment. Youll learn you can do things you didnt think you could do etc..