PDA

View Full Version : Are wheels for Spyders interchangeable across all years?

brutusbikes
10-10-2021, 07:13 PM
Are wheels for Spyders interchangeable across all years or during specific year groups? I think mine on the 09GS is slightly pancaked.

Thanks
Russ

Wmoater
10-10-2021, 07:20 PM
Front or rears? I think, don’t quote me but the early versions like yours were 14” aren’t they on the fronts? Newer are 15. So no. I think it changed to 15 in 2013 or 2014 (5>6 series) the rears have been 255-15 since the RT in 2010

brutusbikes
10-10-2021, 07:37 PM
rear wheel

Peter Aawen
10-10-2021, 08:09 PM
rear wheel

All the early Spyders had 2-part rear wheels, basically a hub & a rim that bolted together with an included cush joint to carry the sprocket; but about 2018/19 or so they changed to a single piece rim, altho I believe either type will still fit on any year/model?!? :dontknow: They all ran 225/50R15 OE tires, but just about any auto tire from a 205/65R15 thru to a 225/65R15 will fit, altho you can't go much wider due to the swing arm gap, and you need to check the actual rolling dia of any tire you want to fit isn't too much larger than all the rest, cos those nominal tire sizes printed on tire sidewalls often vary A LOT from the tire's actual rolling dia & there's not all that much room under the seat!! Oh, and those with RT's with ACS often FIND the ACS air bag can't keep the rear fender from sitting down on the wheel even with OE spec tires if their ACS leaks/fails! :gaah:

And talking about 'still fitting'; the front rims increased in size in 2013, upgraded from 14" to 15". That occurred with all the upgrades made to take the 1330 motor (that wasn't ready in time so they stuffed the 998 motor back in the hole & the 1330 intro got delayed a year! :p ) It was the larger discs & calipers of the upgraded Brembo Brakes that necessitated the increased rim diameter, so if you really wanted to, you could fit 15" rims on your 09, the stud size/pattern etc is the same & the smaller early brake components will all have plenty of room! Others have done just this, altho I don't know if any changes to the fenders were necessary to fit 15" tires. I don't think so, cos the base level 2013+ Spyders still came out with the same style fenders as the pre-2013 Spyders sported - in fact, those early style fenders hung around on the base level models & as an 'option' for quite some years, maybe even still... :rolleyes:

So whatever you want to do with swapping rims, you should be good to go - there are even some after market front & rear rims available too, if you want something a little different/better/classier, I think PPA do them over your way?! :thumbup:

Enjoy! :cheers: