PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Removing the handlebars on my 2014 Spyder RT?

TheHammer2021
10-08-2021, 12:40 PM
Read a few old threads back from 2014 or so and no real consensus at least to myself as to the exact method to remove the handlebars to check the steering nut for tightness.
My newly acquired 2014 RT has about 1/2" of play at the bars and it appears to be the top end and not lower, bike rides fine and feels rock solid and stable at speed.
Apparently on older threads most members concerns was with removing the 4 x 7mm Allen head bolts holding the bars down, this part was easy with the right tools ( snug fitting top quality 7mm socket and a 200ftlb impact!).
The plastic ignition surround came off with an 1/8 turn counter clockwise but then that was it.
I really could see no easy or obvious way to actually remove the bar assembly due to the plastic shroud that goes under the bodywork.
Unless one has to remove all of the surrounding bodywork but I would prefer further advice from the experts before tearing into stuff that I might not need to.
Any suggestions as to how to actually access the steering stem nut would be much appreciated!
Thank you and stay safe!

JayBros
10-08-2021, 04:55 PM
I have instructions for installation of the Tri-Axis Bars that may help because it details the OEM bar removal. It is a pdf that is too large for this site, 7+MB. If you PM me your regular email address I can send to you if you would like.

ThreeWheels
10-09-2021, 07:12 AM
I really could see no easy or obvious way to actually remove the bar assembly due to the plastic shroud that goes under the bodywork.
Unless one has to remove all of the surrounding bodywork but I would prefer further advice from the experts before tearing into stuff that I might not need to.

I'm sorry to say that you need to remove bodywork in order to completely remove the handlebars.
I have to say that BRP made some pretty good strides in the 2020 redesign as far as accessibility goes.

TheHammer2021
10-09-2021, 07:56 AM
Yes I can now see it is a pretty involved job, and not one that is going to guarantee that I will address the problem if the steering stem nut is not loose...lol
Need to think about this one carefully before I start!

skip
10-09-2021, 08:06 AM
i have a 2014 rt it has about 1/2 play with engine off, it does not affect the steering while riding,i think its not a problem, look at the steering shaft make sure u joints dont have play in them.

TheHammer2021
10-09-2021, 08:12 AM
I can see or feel zero play anywhere in the whole steering shaft, tie rod ends, etc areas.
Seems to be just at the bars, and it does appear to ride just fine, was doing 75mph on the interstate yesterday quite merrily with just gripping lightly on the bars, felt very stable.
In fact the faster it went from say 50 to 75 the better it actually felt.

Navydad
10-09-2021, 08:56 AM
My 2015 has the play as well. I have thought about addressing it, but it isn't really a problem so I'll direct my energy elsewhere.

TheHammer2021
10-09-2021, 09:46 AM
Thats about the conclusion I have come too...lol
Just going to enjoy the scenery!

trikermutha
10-09-2021, 12:50 PM
Check the steering U joint. You can see it thru the front wheels in the center. It could be worn or needs to be tightened.

TheHammer2021
10-09-2021, 01:30 PM
I did and everything is tight as...well you know what...lol
Think I am just going to stop overthinking it!

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-09-2021, 07:50 PM
Play seems to be a common issue. I had my steering column replaced just before my extended warranty expired. There are two U-joints in the steering column. To get to them to either replace or tighten you'll have to disassemble pretty much the entire front end.