PDA

View Full Version : which was your most spectacular tour ??

chris56
09-29-2021, 02:16 AM
here in Slovenia/Italy is the "Mangart" high Alpin road up to around 7.000 feet, no problem for our Ryker .. but you need a real brave passenger;)

I think you will not find more curves on only ten miles (16km) like here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHZi05bFNRg&t=337s

Plarimer
09-29-2021, 05:21 AM
Mine was from Lincoln Nebraska to Key West Florida with a quick trip to Cuba. Nothing like riding through the heartland on the way to a great destination.

spyder01
09-29-2021, 06:29 AM
What you’ve been doing with your Ryker is impressive.My longest tour was back in 1982 which was on a Suzuki gs1100 was not that great because we only had 15 days to do it.It was cross country,7000 miles.I’ve also gone from Pennsylvania to Nova Scotia,that was pretty nice.It was done on a Yamaha Venture,these days I’m on a Spyder Rt and my favorite trips are going to Maggie Valley,North Carolina.To me it’s the best riding area on the East Coast.I would like to get out to Colorado in the future.

WisconsinDavid
09-29-2021, 11:36 AM
Have enjoyed all my tours but one of my favorites is the Circle Tour around Lake Superior. The scenery on the north side of the lake is awesome, but the entire circuit is beautiful... or ride the north and then head east along and around Lake Huron. Added bonus is that the road is great (except for blast zones where it is being redone). Watch out for Moose, bear and deer!

WisconsinDavid
09-29-2021, 11:38 AM
Maggie Valley and the Smokies are a beautiful destination, as are the Ozarks through MO and AR. Roads are great in both destinations too. Bonus!

ARtraveler
09-29-2021, 12:53 PM
In 2010 we drove from Anchorage AK, via the Alaska Highway to Whitehorse, Yukon Territories, with a side trip through British Columbia to Skagway Alaska. The scenery was spectacular all the way. We really liked riding alongside the Wrangall-St. Elias mountain range on the way to Tok. (The city--NOT the smoke). :roflblack:

I had my, then new, 2010 RTS and spouse drove her 2009 GS SE5. We also brought a friend from the lower 48 to share the scenery with us.

RICZ
09-29-2021, 03:51 PM
Two favorites: Northern Georgia, Tennessee and the Carolinas AND the Alps. Although very different, both areas have spectacular roads and riding.

Snakeyes
09-29-2021, 05:01 PM
The start of the VA Skyline thru to the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to Asheville. Fantastic scenery!

RayBJ
09-29-2021, 05:29 PM
2 13 day loops from New Jersey. 2019 on a Triumph Trophy SE. Rode south thru all eastern states then west thru all southern states to NM, CO, and return thru the middle states. This past June, I rode my '20 RT west to Ohio 555 then up over Lake Mich, then on to SD, Yellowstone and Idaho/Utah/CO before heading back thru the middle again. Both trips were excellent because we listed all the attraction roads we wanted and just connected the dots to make a very jagged loop. Only thing we missed both times was Pikes Peak (snow & reno up top).

rjinaz86323
09-29-2021, 05:30 PM
I have had several over the years, but one that always excites me is Beartooth Pass in Montana.

RayBJ
09-29-2021, 05:35 PM
I have had several over the years, but one that always excites me is Beartooth Pass in Montana.

Just went thru there 1st week of June. It was 50* and rainy with deep snow on the shoulders up top. Guys still skiing off the road.

JayBros
09-29-2021, 07:56 PM
In 2019 sidekick and I spent a week in CO, saw Mesa Verde National Park, Million Dollar Highway north out of Durango, Black Canyon of the Gunnison Nat'l Park, Colorado National Monument, Dinosaur National Park, Aspen, Independence Pass, Pikes Peak, Mt. Evans Scenic Byway, the highest paved road in North America, Rocky Mountain National Park via Trail Ridge Road, and associated interesting CO towns along the routes.

pegasus1300
09-29-2021, 08:04 PM
I love the Beartooth, I have ridden it 3 times. I love the Tail of the Dragon and got to ride it twice. In 50+ years of touring I have had a lot of great rides. The two that I remember the most were 2002 when a group of us shipped our bikes from Salt Lake City to Boston. I was riding a Yamaha Venture Royale. We rode thru New England, New York Mormon Church history sites in Ohio and Illinois then back the Oregon/Mormon Trail. We were gone 3 weeks. The other one was in 2012 and I rode it on my first trike a 1500 Goldwing. We rode US 191 from Salt Lake City to the Mexican border, picked up US89 and rode it all the way North to Canada, then picked up US 191 to go back to Utah.

rjinaz86323
09-30-2021, 12:15 AM
We rode US 191 from Salt Lake City to the Mexican border, picked up US89 and rode it all the way North to Canada, then picked up US 191 to go back to Utah.

I live just 3 miles off of 89 here in Chino Valley, AZ. Next week a group of us are going to ride 191 (formerly 666, the Devil's Highway) in Arizona. This is a very popular ride around here.

pidjones
09-30-2021, 05:40 AM
Living just North of Knoxville, TN we have some of the best roads in the Eastern half of the nation within an hour of home (one much closer). Still, the ones that stick out to me are Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive (we took a week and stayed in mom&pop places). First week of June mountain laurel is still there at higher altitudes, and rhododendrons are popping out. There is an azallia in Nortern NC/Southern VA that is bright orange. The parkway being landscaped with so many native plants makes it look almost garish with color. The road itself is subject to weather and maintenance cycles but we lucked out with only a couple detours and great surface. We did it first in 2008, and have done at least some of it every year since. Cherohala Skyway is another great "local" road, and we usually get to it via either 321/Little River Road/441/19 or US129 "the Dragon's Tail" (318 curves in 11 miles). We have also taken US70 to its end in Globe, AZ then up to Williams and the train ride to the Grand Canyon and back, then home via Painted Desert/Petrified Forrest and US60. Natchez Trace had great history surrounding it. I can also take about a dozen or so different roads from home and have a great day trip.

RayBJ
09-30-2021, 10:56 AM
The Smokies and Shenandoah Valley are our favorites for long weekends or 7 day trips.

Bartender
09-30-2021, 11:10 AM
Being from the middle of the country, our favorite destination is Arkansas and Missouri. We have been the the Tail of the Dragon and Blue Ridge Parkway but it is a long ride just to get to the good riding. Frankly I think that highways 7, 16,21 and 23 in Arkansas rival or exceed either of those other roads. We go to Arkansas to ride for a week twice each year. Once in the spring and once in the fall. Leaving for the fall ride on 10/23/21 and looking forward to it.

ARtraveler
09-30-2021, 12:35 PM
Being from the middle of the country, our favorite destination is Arkansas and Missouri. We have been the the Tail of the Dragon and Blue Ridge Parkway but it is a long ride just to get to the good riding. Frankly I think that highways 7, 16,21 and 23 in Arkansas rival or exceed either of those other roads. We go to Arkansas to ride for a week twice each year. Once in the spring and once in the fall. Leaving for the fall ride on 10/23/21 and looking forward to it.

Four of the highways we ride on a regular basis. We love them. Add in 74 and 43 and you have more good riding. Any 3-digit state highways connected to any of the above, are also worth exploring.

Contact me if you would like to meet up. Sounds like you will be in our area. :yes:

dpetrick
09-30-2021, 01:57 PM
Wisconsin has some great areas to ride near the River Road. Have ridden there quite a few times and there are a lot of rural 2 lane roads with hills and curves and great scenery. Plus wineries and breweries and good food.

ColoradoSpyder
10-01-2021, 01:24 AM
Don’t forget State hwy 125 from Peels ferry north into MO

JayBros
10-01-2021, 09:34 AM
As a transplanted Tar Heel the Tail of the Dragon is a highly overrated ride IMO. There isn't s**t for scenery, one has to concentrate 150% on the road and its limit points, to say nothing about fools on crotch rockets, and there are far more fun rides with little to no traffic in western NC and Smokies. Those who make a trip to do the Dragon and neglect to ride the Cherohala Skyway both ways miss the far better of the two rides. YMMV.

Jcummins
10-01-2021, 09:45 AM
In 2010 we drove from Anchorage AK, via the Alaska Highway to Whitehorse, Yukon Territories, with a side trip through British Columbia to Skagway Alaska. The scenery was spectacular all the way. We really liked riding alongside the Wrangall-St. Elias mountain range on the way to Tok. (The city--NOT the smoke). :roflblack:

I had my, then new, 2010 RTS and spouse drove her 2009 GS SE5. We also brought a friend from the lower 48 to share the scenery with us.

Was that all paved roads?

ARtraveler
10-01-2021, 10:55 AM
Was that all paved roads?

That portion was all paved. You do have to expect construction areas on and around the Alcan though. We got lucky this trip.

malibu_dan
10-01-2021, 01:25 PM
I believe those of us in the USA who have ridden it will tip our hats to you, and then point to the Tail of the Dragon in the Smoky Mountains in the eastern part of the country. 318 curves in 11 miles.

https://tailofthedragon.com/

However, I will say I prefer some other roads more with more relaxed apexes, like the Cherohala Skyway, or the Blue Ridge Parkway. At least in the Appalachian mountains.

Thanks for sharing, Chris!!! Love to see other awesome riding in other parts of the world.

LongIsland
10-01-2021, 08:38 PM
Our most spectacular tour was riding through the Badlands in South Dakota. A must on any list for views and vistas, that take your breath away.

Northofthesix
10-02-2021, 10:41 AM
The first year I rode a 2 wheel bike (still only had a learner's permit) I rode a Honda Shadow Aero 750 with an experienced rider friend from Toronto to Alberta, down to Glacier and the Going to the Sun road, then meandered down to Yellowstone through Kalispell, the "Big Hole", and then out over the Beartooth, to Sturgis and then home through Chicago and Detroit. I was TERRIFIED the entire trip... what a baptism to long-distance riding that was. Been coast to coast to coast since with the same friend and a bunch of other guys on an assortment of bikes over the years, down the Blue Ridge a half dozen times, Colorado and Arkansas, New Orleans and Newfoundland 3x .... all amazing rides. Going down the Beartooth though, at night (waylayed by storms earlier in the day) my headlights crapped out... my buddy rode down in front of me with another friend we met up with along the way right behind me and rolled down the mountain using their headlights to guide me to Red Lodge. Good times!!

ARtraveler
10-02-2021, 11:40 AM
Our most spectacular tour was riding through the Badlands in South Dakota. A must on any list for views and vistas, that take your breath away.

Another of my personal favorites. Have done that ride many times. Both ways is good. Looks entirely different from each direction. :yes:

easysuper
12-20-2021, 02:33 PM
My favorite tour was Hwy 20 from Newport Oregon to Boston and back, 66 days 11,000 miles and 26 states. This coming summer we are planning on riding to Fairbanks Alaska.

ARtraveler
12-20-2021, 03:03 PM

One of the best 25 miles or so rides that we have ever taken. Done it both on motorcycle and in a car. Another neat feature, it looks totally different from each direction.

canamjhb
12-20-2021, 03:20 PM
Many memorable rides over the last countless number of years. Touring northern Washington, Oregon coast, Idaho, Glacier N.P., California Redwoods and wine country, and of course Utah's N.Ps. So many great touring rides..... I usually tour 4-6 weeks in the summer when it is hot here in Arizona. Covid caused a hic-up in my routine the last 2 summers. Hope to get back into more normal times this coming year..... Jim

safecracker
12-20-2021, 08:48 PM
Living about as far North East as you can go in the U.S., Sue and I enjoy the Gaspe in Quebec and all of the Maritimes. New Hampshire and Vermont are very nice too.

RayBJ
12-20-2021, 10:48 PM
Did a Gaspe & Cape Brenton loop several years ago. By far, Gaspe was more scenic (and fast getting to the St Lawrence coast from Maine). Nova Scotia was dreary and foggy the two Sept days we rode thru. Bring octane booster if you go.