PDA

View Full Version : F4 Windshield with or without vent?

Thad
09-23-2021, 11:45 AM
Need info. I am looking to buy the 25 inch stock with added width. Not sure about the vent. For those who bought the F4 did you go with or without the vent.
Thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thad

Spyderjuice
09-23-2021, 12:48 PM
I got the F-4 shield with the vent. It lets more air in and is adjustable, but a lot of air comes up from bottom of shield anyway. I'm not so sure the vent is necessary. A vent can always be added later.

fireplug98
09-23-2021, 01:01 PM
My opinion, 100% go with the vent !!
When you open it, the air moving through it will help lessen the buffeting in front you a bit and
will give you a little bit more air movement in hot weather.
Love these windshields !!!
Not sure which bike you have, if its an RT (I had a couple RT's before my F3), you want to make sure it's short enough to see over the windshield in the low position and
when you raise the windshield, then your looking through it.
I'm on an F3, Got the 21 inch. I'm 5'5". the top of the shield is just below my eyes. Tall enough for me to see over it and the wind goes over my full face helmet.
So I don't get the buffeting from the wind hitting the top on my helmet.
I like looking over the windshield and not through it, but everyone is different.
Rain does sheer off the windshield pretty good.
Hope this helps ya in your decision.

Stay Safe,
Tommy J.

Peteoz
09-23-2021, 04:47 PM
It basically comes down to finances, Thad.

If you can afford the $80 for the vent, get it. You can then try it fully open, part open, or fully closed to see if anything works better for you. We are all different, and have different thresholds, so what works for one person re the vent, may not necessarily work for you. You won’t know till YOU try.

If you can’t afford the extra $80, get the stock screen without the adjustability.;)

Pete

JP58
09-23-2021, 10:30 PM
Get the vent. Tall windshields cause backdraft from behind. The vent open reduces it alot.

Lew L
09-24-2021, 06:00 PM
Get the vent. Tall windshields cause backdraft from behind. The vent open reduces it alot.

Get the VENT

PMK
09-25-2021, 07:03 AM
Went without a vent on ours. Then again, you failed to mention what year your Spyder is. Ours is a 2014, and has the adjustable side deflectors, plus I got rid of those barn door mirrors. Overall, we do fine for airflow.

Pooch
09-25-2021, 08:17 AM
Had the vent on the shield on all my bikes/trikes as to have what little airflow it provides… this is Texas..we need air flow.
An additional benefit of the vent is to minimize the backdraft pressure, as posted earlier here.

I loved that F4 windshield as it can be cleaned with paper towels and water or windex… these items absolutely will not scratch or harm the shield. I never did put any type of wax on it. The clarity of the shield is excellent and rain beaded up/dissipated nicely. Pricey but worth it.
That shield is on my “next accessory” list for my new Spyder.

Let us know what you decide and how you like it.

dusty1300
09-25-2021, 10:19 PM
I am new to the Spyder world, but have had many different shields on many other bikes. I can say that IMHO, the vent is way worth it. My last two shields and buffeting on my helmet, but I just cracked the vent and all buffeting goes away.

Only once did I regret it. This huge yellow butterfly hit my vent and splattered all over my chest. Not a problem though as the rain the next day of the trip took care of it.

TOm

Papa103
09-28-2021, 11:09 AM
I went with the taller & wider windshield. My wife didn't like all the air she was getting in her face. I did get the vent and I can feel the difference in wind drag with the vent open, especially in windy conditions. I also run the windshield all the way up to give her the most air protection. For my use I'm glad I got the vent.

Thad
09-28-2021, 01:51 PM
Made decision to go with the vent. Ordered the F4 Customs-Spyder RT 25", tint, wide (2.5" per side) with the vent.
Thanks for the comments. They helped with the decision.

Thad

C. Lee
09-29-2021, 10:51 AM
We purchased the taller wider windshield with the vent and also added the adjustable air deflectors below the mirrors. Makes a big difference as to amount and direction of air flow we receive. Seems to be more "customizable air flow" then stock. Chris

Don60
05-03-2022, 07:26 PM
Thad and Papa103; I have a 2021 RTL. Did this windshield mount using the same mounting screws/hardware? Looking at the 28” and wider shield with vent! Does the width cause any issues with turning/ hitting anywhere? Just want to be able to remove stock and install using the stock mounting? Thanks for your responses.

LongIsland
05-04-2022, 03:05 PM
Thad and Papa103; I have a 2021 RTL. Did this windshield mount using the same mounting screws/hardware? Looking at the 28” and wider shield with vent! Does the width cause any issues with turning/ hitting anywhere? Just want to be able to remove stock and install using the stock mounting? Thanks for your responses.

Yes they use the stock mounting; have had the 28" on my 2014 for 5 years turning/hitting.

Ride Safe!

tntnj
05-05-2022, 05:24 AM
Get the vent !! It will help with back pressure. I had one on my F3. Loved it

Don60
05-05-2022, 08:42 AM
Thanks for all the information. Will look at purchasing and getting installed for the upcoming riding I have planned.

Peteoz
05-05-2022, 04:50 PM
Thanks for all the information. Will look at purchasing and getting installed for the upcoming riding I have planned.

Don, it’s not precisely what you were asking, but I have an old 25” F4 from a previous F3. It is wider than the stock ‘21 RT screen by around 2.5 inches each side. I have adapted it to fit my ‘21 RT by adding a couple of extra mounting holes, which makes it the equivalent of F4’s 28” tall screen for the ‘21 RT. It comes nowhere near fouling the bars on full lock, and I have Helibars which are taller than stock and rotated well forward. I interchange the stock screen and the F4 frequently while I decide which way to go, and the swap takes 5 minutes max, using the same hardware.

Pete

Don60
05-05-2022, 07:51 PM
Peteoz; thanks for that information. Along with the mounting using exiting hardware, the wider windshield was a concern. Thanks again.

Thad
05-06-2022, 07:20 AM
I went with the standard (25") height, wide with vent. No problem installing the F4 and glad I went with the vent. Wife loves the extra width. I want to thank all who provided information.

duke50
05-06-2022, 07:38 AM
I had the 25" and did not like looking through the windshield, now have the 21". Make sure you measure, watch the video on their website. F4 windshields with the vent is the way to go IMO.

Peteoz
05-06-2022, 04:32 PM
I had the 25" and did not like looking through the windshield, now have the 21". Make sure you measure, watch the video on their website. F4 windshields with the vent is the way to go IMO.

Yeah, it’s all relative, duke. Screen heights are so individual. I can comfortably see over the top of the 28” on my ‘21 RT ;)

Pete