PDA

View Full Version : Am I nuts?

wolfshead1
09-22-2009, 02:47 PM
I am thinking of buying a 2009 Spyder RS or Gs with SE5.I think I can get a great deal as well as a rebate.I think I can put enough on it to tour with for at least a year.I would like bags and touring screen foot rests,riser etc.Maybe $2500 in options.I could ride it for a year then buy the RT.By that time the RT will have less bugs and more power.

My reason for doing this is I want to ride and not wait till Easter to get the RT.

Please please when you tell me if I
m nuts or not include what limited accessories I should have to travel half way comfy.

thanks
wolfshead1

M2Wild
09-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Sure ... if you got the money to burn ... why the hell not.

Recluze
09-22-2009, 03:42 PM
I have done a good deal of traveling about with the following:
An aftermarket windshield-I use a F1 Slider- $300
Mirror extensions- $100 or so. Almost a necessity
Throttlemeister- Maybe $100
Rear seat bag- $100 or so from BRP
Saddlebags from Cortech- $250
Beaded Indian Taxi Driver seat cover- $100.

I have made two trips across county with this set up. Typically I do 3-400 miles a day and hardly ever travel on interstates. I don't know how comfortable I am because this is my first bike and I have no frame of reference. I certainly can carry more stuff than I really need.

Buying an RS with plans to trade it quickly will cost you a bit. They do not hold their value. You might want to consider a used one as I would guess a lot of people will be dumping their RS for the new model.

On the other hand, ride now, think about the rest later is not a bad plan either. You may find that once you option out an RS you have no reason to move up.

Good luck.

Bersquack
09-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Sure ... if you got the money to burn ... why the hell not.

:agree: Spending this much money for only 6 months or so is not a sound investment in my mind, but if it is burning a hole in your pocket go ahead.

3wheeldemon
09-22-2009, 04:16 PM
[ ] Nuts

[X] Not Nuts

:D

3WD

Roger
09-22-2009, 04:55 PM
I think i'am in the same catagory as you i would like to get the new RT but if i can not get the premiere edition i don't want to wait for easter either so i'am thinking of getting a new 2010 rs blue with givi bags and put the accessories i want on it anything the Rt has you can put on the GS/RS but i still have time to think about it so i'am in no hurry since winter is coming. :dontknow: If you get the RS/GS you might as well hang on it until 2011 and see what they come out with next maybe a bigger engine who knows.

bikeguy
09-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Actually, I have considered the same thing. I think the RT (not the RT-S) is a real bargain as compared to the GS/RS if you want to tour on it. When you consider that you get comfortable seats, passenger backrest, lots of storage space, heated grips, cruise control, electric adjustable windscreen, handlebar risers, and a more comfortable riding positiion for about $4,000 more than an RS, it's a bargain. You can't equally equip an RS for that amount of money. And the RT really looks good to boot. The rub comes when you consider that you don't have to pay $17,000 for an 08 or 09 GS. If you really hunt, you can find new ones in the neighborhood of $12,000 and I wouldn't be surprised if you can buy good used ones even cheaper come January or February. I really want an RT but it's tempting to get an 08/09 GS and add the touring stuff to it.

NancysToy
09-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Lots of folks up to now have had no choice but the GS, and they have 25,000-65,000 miles on them. Dudley and Jennifer did nearly 14K on theirs in a month and a half on the road. Numerous Iron Butts have been completed, too. I'd say that speaks well for the touring capabilities of the GS/RS. The R-35 bags of the RS have more capacity than the side bags on the RT, and the trunk hold a lot, too. Corbins are bigger still. If you travel two-up, you will want to add a backrest, or topcase with a passenger pad. I'm not knocking the RT, I'm getting one for myself, but my wife's GS is a very capable sport touring machine.

wolfshead1
09-22-2009, 06:33 PM
yes I am nuts but here is the kicker.I think I can buy one really right and option it out really really right.So if I ride it a year or 1 1/2 yr I think if I shop wisely I can get most of my money out of it and have something safe for me to ride(gettin wobbly at stop signs).

In 2 yrs the RT will maybe have more features,more power and REBATES.

oh well my Ultra isn't chopped liver.

I want to thank you all for your wisdom and keep them coming.

Tom in NM
09-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Please, please, when you tell me if I'm nuts or not. include what limited accessories I should have to travel half way comfy.

thanks
wolfshead1

I love it when the "question" answers itself. I think you said, "Yes!" :D

Here are the big things to upgrade for touring (my opinions):

Windshield (adjustable, highly recommended)
Handlebar Risers
Throttle lock or cruise control

Some other things that you might want:

Seat ( depends on your butt )
Highway pegs or floorboards ( depends on your legs and posture )
Hard saddle bags ( depends on your style of touring)
A quiet helmet (if you don't have one)
Mirror extensions ( depends on how big you are )

The two things I know from my experience
1) The only good windshield I have found is the new MadStad RoboBracket solution ( see Madstad.com ) Most of this forum's members like the CHAD.

2) I have the NoMagicNeon 4" Risers. ( I am a short guy ). Search for Risers and read the + & - of each.

If you are planning on being the kind of tourer that needs a trailer, I will let others chime in on items for that level.

My final recommendation is, if you are touring - get an SE whatever. Not much different from the Manual on the highway, but wait until you get in unfamiliar traffic, you will probably appreciate it then.

Tom

3wheeldemon
09-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Another factor is that is very likely that in two years the RT will come with a bigger engine.

3WD

DannyS
09-22-2009, 07:26 PM
If you are spending the next 6 months in OH then you are nuts. If you are spending it in TX then only sort of nuts. Why don't you buy a used bike with the stuff on it and then sell it when you are ready to buy the RT. There are some nice ones on the market that all ready have mods and you won't take the new bike depreciation. You won't get any more with the mods they might get it sold faster is all.:spyder:

COOLMACHINE
09-22-2009, 07:33 PM
What are you waiting for Wolfshead1 ? Go get that badboy. My mama always told me to NOT be a procrastinator.... :thumbup:
Hop on and get Spydering!

dltang
09-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Nobody knows what tomorrow will bring. Get yourself something now and make it your own. If you want to trade it in or trade up later, than you can. I have customized my spyder and it is very comfy for the long haul at this point and I still love it.

wolfshead1
09-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Spend winters riding in the RVG near Padre Island.Usually 80 to 85 degrees lotsa sun.I really do like my Harley Ultra,I just don't want to drop it.

Firefly
09-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't buy one unless you plan to ride it for a few years. If you drop $20K on an SE5 now------ you're going to only get $10-$12K for it a year later.

A properly outfitted GS can do a great job of touring!

BeRight
09-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Buy used (I did) - great deals - plus you'll loose less if you decide to get an RT.

BajaRon
09-22-2009, 10:22 PM
I understand why everyone is thinking the current Rotax engine is too small. Afterall, the market that BRP is going after must include the Goldwing Trike.

But I rode about 75 miles with Lamont today, twisties to Interstate and I must say he had no problems staying ahead of me with the new ride.

While the new offering may not have way more power than it needs like the Goldwing, it certainly would compare well to the Harley tirkes and probably falls somewhere closer to the Goldwing than the Harley in this respect.

I have not ridden Lamonts loaner because he is faithfully sticking to his agreement with BRP, which I completely agree with.

I've run several thousand miles with him on his SM5 and I can say that the RT hasn't slowed him down at all. As a matter of fact, I'd say he's a bit faster in the twisties with the RT than on his SM5.

Whatever BRP did to the motor is working well.

Not a scientific conclusion but my 2 cents.

Tom in NM
09-23-2009, 01:20 AM
I understand why everyone is thinking the current Rotax engine is too small. After all, the market that BRP is going after must include the Goldwing Trike.

Ron, why do you always have to go and spoil everything with commonsense and experience?

And you were polite on top of it.

Obviously BRP missed the over torqued-cc overloaded-crotch-rocket-LazyBoy demographic with the RTS, the stupid and insensitive :cus: ! Everybody knows there is no market for Goldwing Trikes that are not made by Honda.

Now all they are left with is saying, "Well, maybe 2012." --- before they even sit on one.

Obviously, I am not Ron.
Tom

Lamonster
09-23-2009, 07:09 AM
I understand why everyone is thinking the current Rotax engine is too small. Afterall, the market that BRP is going after must include the Goldwing Trike.

But I rode about 75 miles with Lamont today, twisties to Interstate and I must say he had no problems staying ahead of me with the new ride.

While the new offering may not have way more power than it needs like the Goldwing, it certainly would compare well to the Harley tirkes and probably falls somewhere closer to the Goldwing than the Harley in this respect.

I have not ridden Lamonts loaner because he is faithfully sticking to his agreement with BRP, which I completely agree with.

I've run several thousand miles with him on his SM5 and I can say that the RT hasn't slowed him down at all. As a matter of fact, I'd say he's a bit faster in the twisties with the RT than on his SM5.

I was wondering if you noticed. :D

I would say I am faster on the RT in the twisties and it does just fine on the highway too. I wish it darted out a little better after 70 mph but it get's the job done just fine.

If you're waiting on a bigger motor from BRP I don't think that's going to happen any time soon or at least that's what I've been told by the folks that would know. You guys really need to ride a RT before you decided that the motor is under powered. I would say it will do everything you need it to do when you need it. I ride harder than most and it still puts a grin on my face. :D

3wheeldemon
09-23-2009, 09:03 AM
I was wondering if you noticed. :D

I would say I am faster on the RT in the twisties and it does just fine on the highway too. I wish it darted out a little better after 70 mph but it get's the job done just fine.

If you're waiting on a bigger motor from BRP I don't think that's going to happen any time soon or at least that's what I've been told by the folks that would know. You guys really need to ride a RT before you decided that the motor is under powered. I would say it will do everything you need it to do when you need it. I ride harder than most and it still puts a grin on my face. :D

Good to know. It makes sense that with a slightly larger wheelbase and more weight in the back the RT is even more stable that the 08/09's Spyders in twisties.

3WD

DannyS
09-23-2009, 06:36 PM
I think Lamonster has also pointed out that with the fly by wire you can push it more and Nanny is not so obnoxious so you don't back off to keep her from kicking in. The weight is bound to help as well to keep it planted. You could do a little with tire pressures and tow to get more dart to it.:doorag: