PDA

View Full Version : After ideas on Locations for GoPro Camera?

SteveandBelinda
09-15-2021, 02:10 PM
I am trying to get some ideas for mounting a GoPro camera on my 2014 RT Limited. I have a mount on my helmet in front of chin, but can't tell when it is actually on or not, because I can't see the light or the screen mounted on helmet. Also always seem to get file error on camera alot, and when I stop to look at footage, it had previously quit recording. If you guys and gals have some suggestions or pictures of where you temporarily mount yours, it would be helpful.

RayBJ
09-15-2021, 02:17 PM
My camera is mounted out front below the screen. It's a Garmin VIRB so I control it thru my Zumo 595. The only downside is the bugs.

Flamewinger
09-15-2021, 09:41 PM
I used a TricLED dash bracket which comes with plastic mounting balls similar to RAM. (I replaced with RAM ones, they're rubber and hold better)

I used a GoPro mount buckle stuck to the bracket and used a flat head screw to make sure it stays put.

192450 192451

dpetrick
09-15-2021, 10:20 PM
I use the suction cup mount. I can mount it on the dash behind the windscreen, on the frunk hood or even on the windscreen (Depends on which windscreen you have, has to have a flat surface big enough to attach.)

I use the GoPro Remote to start and stop the camera. I also tether the camera, so if the suction cup lets go, the camera stays attached to the bike. Once I figured out how to attach the suction cup, it has never come off. It is important to have a flat, clean surface to attach. If there is just a light coat of dust the suction cup will not hold. So clean the surface and the suction cup.

The GoPro phone app works, but if you ride with gloves, controlling the camera via the touch screen may not work. I have gloves that are supposed to work with the phones screen, but they don't always work.

SteveandBelinda
09-16-2021, 12:46 AM
How do you get the suction cup to stay on surface above dash behind windshield? That surface is grainy and not smooth (on RT)

PMK
09-16-2021, 07:12 AM
I am trying to get some ideas for mounting a GoPro camera on my 2014 RT Limited. I have a mount on my helmet in front of chin, but can't tell when it is actually on or not, because I can't see the light or the screen mounted on helmet. Also always seem to get file error on camera alot, and when I stop to look at footage, it had previously quit recording. If you guys and gals have some suggestions or pictures of where you temporarily mount yours, it would be helpful.

Are you aware that JT previously offered an inexpensive accessory mount for the glaresheild. It uses Ram balls or fasteners through the holes. Allows a multitude of possibilities of camera angles. If using the GoPro for recording as a witness if you are involved in a crash, best to get two GoPros, one front and one rear.

https://spyderstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=51

pidjones
09-16-2021, 08:19 AM
The Youtube channel Itchy Boots uses the chin mount a lot. She gets very good video. Her web site lists all of her gear.

dpetrick
09-16-2021, 01:38 PM
I have a F3 and the dash is smooth plastic. I use a helmet mount a lot also. If you can find a flat area on the windscreen that works too.

kissfan
09-16-2021, 01:48 PM
I put this mounting bracket on the dash...

https://spyderstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

and use Ram Mounts to support the GoPro.

RapidSpyder
09-16-2021, 05:22 PM
Here’s what I use for videos. Nice because I can move it around for following shots or different view shots. Was originally used for an iPad in a Cessna, so had to modify it a little.

Plarimer
09-16-2021, 05:51 PM
If it makes any difference I have both a GoPro and an ion pro. I prefer the ion pro as it mounts to the side of my helmet and takes up very little room. I also can reach up and turned it off and on without looking at any controls

gkamer
09-20-2021, 04:00 PM

Like you, I use a chin mount on my helmet to mount my Go Pro Hero 5 Black. And like you I could never tell if my camera was recording or not. So I purchased this Go Pro Remote control. It connects through the cameras built in WiFi. Once it’s connected, pressing the round button (I put the white sticker on it to make it easier for me to see) starts the camera recording. There is a red LED that blinks on and off to indicate the camera is recording. Pressing the button again stops the Record function.

The little LED screen displays what mode your camera is in, video, photo or burst mode. In order to mount it properly on my handle bars which are too wide for a standard handle bar mount, I cut a long, thin strip of Velcro and ran it through the strap openings on the remote as shown in the photo. Pulling the Velcro tightly, it holds it nice and snug to the handle bars.

KosherKid
09-24-2021, 03:01 PM
I have the GoPro Session. It is mounted on a bracket behind the windshield. It is pre-configured and activated by pressing the top button to turn on and off. For me, it's an easy solution for video taping my rides. I just need to keep the windshield clean in the center.

Northofthesix
09-24-2021, 04:21 PM
I used a TricLED dash bracket which comes with plastic mounting balls similar to RAM. (I replaced with RAM ones, they're rubber and hold better)

I used a GoPro mount buckle stuck to the bracket and used a flat head screw to make sure it stays put.

192450 192451

Very similar to the setup I have on mine....I don't find the shooting through the windshield causes any significant distortion either.