PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Buying/Dealer Question...

Questions
09-22-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm about to enter the Spyder World with an RT-S and have a question about buying experiences and what to expect from a Can-Am Dealer. So, here goes:

This will be my 15th bike purchase. Yes, I'm not a kid! On nearly every bike I've purchased in the past, with the exception of buying an H-D during the "wait in line days," to encourage the purchase of accessories, typically the Dealers I've dealt with in the past offer a percentage discount on accessories that are purchased at the time of the vehicle purchase as well as offer free installation on these accessories.

Can you enlighten me on what I should expect from a Spyder Dealer in this day and age? I want to be realistic in my expectations and while I'd like to get as good of a deal as possible, I would like to be reasonable in my expectations. Also, allow me to note, that I'll be paying full price for the RT-S. My question is about FACTORY accessories.

ataDude
09-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Negotiate it all in at time of purchase. 15-20% off accessories and/or parts.... BEST warranty at dealer's cost.

I'm about to enter the Spyder World with an RT-S and have a question about buying experiences and what to expect from a Can-Am Dealer. So, here goes:

This will be my 15th bike purchase. Yes, I'm not a kid! On nearly every bike I've purchased in the past, with the exception of buying an H-D during the "wait in line days," to encourage the purchase of accessories, typically the Dealers I've dealt with in the past offer a percentage discount on accessories that are purchased at the time of the vehicle purchase as well as offer free installation on these accessories.

Can you enlighten me on what I should expect from a Spyder Dealer in this day and age? I want to be realistic in my expectations and while I'd like to get as good of a deal as possible, I would like to be reasonable in my expectations. Also, allow me to note, that I'll be paying full price for the RT-S. My question is about FACTORY accessories.

Dochands
09-22-2009, 10:35 AM
BRP may still be offering incentives. I got $1000 towards accessories and the BEST warranty for three years.

They also gave me 20 percent off additional accessories.

No break on the price of the bike though.

I am not much of a negotiator but I don't think they were offering much then otherwise.

And welcome. You will love this motorcycle. Its the most fun I have had legally for a long time. :2thumbs:

Questions
09-22-2009, 11:17 AM
BRP may still be offering incentives. I got $1000 towards accessories and the BEST warranty for three years.

They also gave me 20 percent off additional accessories.

No break on the price of the bike though.

I am not much of a negotiator but I don't think they were offering much then otherwise.

And welcome. You will love this motorcycle. Its the most fun I have had legally for a long time. :2thumbs:

Is this being offered by most dealers on the RT-S?

And, thanks for the input to all who responded!

Bersquack
09-22-2009, 11:40 AM
When I bought mine, stock was low so no deals on the bike, but got 10%-20% on accessories.

NancysToy
09-22-2009, 11:43 AM
The three year warranty (standard + 1) and the $1,000 toward accessories are being offered on the current model, not the 2010 models. When we bought our PE Spyder in 2008, it was strictly MSRP, with a waiting list. Times are tougher now, and some dealers are offering some incentives, like free freight and setup, or the BEST warranty at cost. Depends on the dealer, some are not budging, but it never hurts to ask. Not many accessories for the RT-S, but you might also manage a discount there. The way I figure, with a brand new model like this, is that anything I get off MSRP + freight + prep, is a good deal. A lot of folks will certainly pay full price, plus inflated destination charges. They did for the last PE.

Tom in NM
09-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Since you are not a kid, you know when it comes to dealerships, no two are alike. Also, since you ride and the RTS is fully loaded, you already have the gear, so there probably is not a lot you would want to add. Make sure you check out Lamont's (and other test riders) for what may be missing or need upgrading. I have not seen anything, but I have not been following that closely.

First, there are factory incentives that they can parlay into extras for you. Some will be standard, but others will be available to specific dealers - only BRP and the dealer will know about these. In these cases, usually even the salesman will not know about them.

A few riders (one that I specifically remember), posted that they got some service calls for free when they bought their Spyder. (600 and 3,000 mile inspections/oil changes)

And, of course, local business conditions and their own business practices will effect what they are willing to give up. Like some auto dealerships, incentives like a years worth of free gas may be offered.

My advice is to get the extended warranty. Since the dealer makes money on these, it give you both some extra negotiating room at the table and you will be getting a very valuable "accessory".

Second, post a question specifically about recommendations for a good dealership in your area. Florida, according to some members, has some good dealerships. Visit them and pick the one that works the best for you. Maybe one of the members here will even be able to introduce you to the best guy to make a deal with or to the dealership's sales manager that works to make things happen.

While you may be paying MSRP on the RTS, if it fits you, maybe there will be room to deal on a trailer hitch and trailer.

Tom

Questions
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
There's a number of accessories that I'd like to add to the RT-S that are NOT included. Here's the wish list and the Factory's MSRP:

Sirius-XM Kit - $500

CB and Communication System - $800

Luggage: Front ($200), Rear ($100) Sides ($300/pair) = $600

I may also buy two ST-1 Hybrid Helmets ($300/each) but have not read any reviews on the protection provided to the chin area with those accessories.

I may wait to purchase the trailer as with all the storage space on the RT-S, it would probably not be needed...unless I'm taking a long two-up trip. At $4,500, that's a nice chunk of change. I will admit, as a golfer, having the ability to tow two golf bags is making me think about it!!!

So, without the helmets, that's $1,900. And, although I already have a plenty of gear, I'll probably be picking up some more Spyder branded gear when the RT-S arrives.

Tom in NM
09-22-2009, 01:03 PM
There's a number of accessories that I'd like to add to the RT-S that are NOT included. Here's the wish list and the Factory's MSRP:

Sirius-XM Kit - $500

CB and Communication System - $800

Luggage: Front ($200), Rear ($100) Sides ($300/pair) = $600

I may also buy two ST-1 Hybrid Helmets ($300/each) but have not read any reviews on the protection provided to the chin area with those accessories.

I may wait to purchase the trailer as with all the storage space on the RT-S, it would probably not be needed...unless I'm taking a long two-up trip. At $4,500, that's a nice chunk of change. I will admit, as a golfer, having the ability to tow two golf bags is making me think about it!!!

So, without the helmets, that's $1,900. And, although I already have a plenty of gear, I'll probably be picking up some more Spyder branded gear when the RT-S arrives.

I thought the luggage was included and the CB also, but I will defer to all those who have researched this.

The helmet, I have looked at, it is made by Givi and here is a thread where it is discussed: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11575&highlight=Givi+helmet

and here is a link to a review of it on WebBikeWorld; http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/givi/x-01/

Based on the review, the ear pocket size, may be an issue for speakers, but Lamont is using one now in his test and it seems to be fine for him.

Tom

Questions
09-22-2009, 01:33 PM
I thought the luggage was included and the CB also, but I will defer to all those who have researched this.

Some of the initial posts regarding the inclusion of the luggage on the RT-S Premiere Edition were incorrect. The Liners are included, but not the luggage.

Here's a quote directly from a Factory Rep: "The XM radio, CB/Intercom System (not the cable) and the Fitted Luggage for the Side Bags, Front and Rear Trunk are provided as an option and are not standard with the RTS Premier Edition"

I would be happy to find out that I'm incorrect on this!

Tom in NM
09-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Some of the initial posts regarding the inclusion of the luggage on the RT-S Premiere Edition were incorrect. The Liners are included, but not the luggage.

Here's a quote directly from a Factory Rep: "The XM radio, CB/Intercom System (not the cable) and the Fitted Luggage for the Side Bags, Front and Rear Trunk are provided as an option and are not standard with the RTS Premier Edition"

I would be happy to find out that I'm incorrect on this!

Confusing (to me).
So on the RTS, the trunk & hard side bags come with liners, but if you want "carry-away" luggage that fits in them, those are optional.

I am not a touring luggage kind of guy, if it can't be thrown in the trunk or bungied on the seat, or fit in a backpack, I do without. If I wanted custom fit carry-away bags, I would make a pattern, get some fabric or leather and stitch them together myself. But, going back to your original question, yes, this kind of option sounds like something you could work on with a good dealer.

Tom

Questions
09-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Confusing (to me).
So on the RTS, the trunk & hard side bags come with liners, but if you want "carry-away" luggage that fits in them, those are optional.

I am not a touring luggage kind of guy, if it can't be thrown in the trunk or bungied on the seat, or fit in a backpack, I do without. If I wanted custom fit carry-away bags, I would make a pattern, get some fabric or leather and stitch them together myself. But, going back to your original question, yes, this kind of option sounds like something you could work on with a good dealer.

Tom

I've had the "luggage" sets on two other bikes and while touring, they really make the loading/unloading process much easier. And they typically allow the rider (or in this case, Ryder) an easy way to maximize the trikes storage capacity. While I won't speak for others, when pulling up to a hotel, it's nice to be able to quickly and easily unload the bike.

Yes, it's just a personal preference...not a necessity.