PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know the Longevity/Durability of the Rotax V Twin?

Questions
09-21-2009, 08:38 PM
It is said with regular maintenance (oil and filters) the Goldwing engine will go 200K miles before it needs a tear down, the newer Harleys 100K. Anyone know what to expect from the BRP-Rotax found in the Spiders? Definitely want something reliable in the RT if I am going to log a bunch of miles.

On another point, how easy will it be to do the maintenance (oil, air filter, etc.) yourself. It takes and hour or two to change the air filter on a Goldwing because of all the stuff you have to remove.

spyderlover2
09-21-2009, 09:02 PM
welcome
well, i have been reading the posts and questions on this site for quite a while now and i dont believe anyone has made it to 100,000 miles yet, but some have made it to about 60,000 plus! i dont believe this person or persons have had too many problems or issues with their spyders! the newer ones seem to have been made slightly better than the ones that first came out which is to be expected in any model of vehicles that are just coming out for the first time or have different types of engines...etc!
the one you should ask about all of these things is LAMONSTER! if he cant answer your questions he will direct you to someone who possibly can! we are all here to help eachother out as best as we can!
if i can, i would strongly suggest you go ahead and get the RT spyder! i dont know how you prefer to ride (hard or in comfort), but LAMONSTER has been given the honors of testing the new RT-S version before they make it to the market place, and he seems to love it. it is very comfortable, stable on the road, passenger comfort is great without wind buffeting, no "hot seat" when sitting in traffic, and a lot of other benefits!
keep reading the RT forum and watch the videos and you will see what i am talking about. LAMONSTER covers most everything he can and from every angle possible!
have a great time on this site. :2thumbs: i will be waiting to see what you decide works for you.:popcorn: in my book...the Spyder RT-S is :firstplace:

Lamonster
09-22-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm not sure. :dontknow: I have over 40K on my RS with no motor issues as of yet. My M109R spun a bearing at 20K so it's lasted twice as long as that motor so far.

I don't think we'll be getting 200K out of this motor but I'll do my best to find out. Problem is now my RS will be parked most of the next 4 months so it's going to take guys like Doc to let us know what kind of mileage to expect out of this motor.

We are the cutting edge here at SpyderLovers. :doorag::2thumbs:

Bersquack
09-22-2009, 08:00 AM
We are the cutting edge here at SpyderLovers. :doorag::2thumbs:

:agree:

jabba11
09-22-2009, 12:29 PM
this same motor is in an Aprilla bike as well from what I understand. I wonder if reliablilty can be gleaned from that ...

BeRight
09-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Easy to change oil and filter and air filter.

It is my understanding (by reading posts) that this ROTAX 990 model is unique to the Spyder and is roughly based on an Aprilia version.

Time will tell on engine reliability - I have read four posts on failed Spyder engines - some where replaced by new engines and some are being rebuilt under warranty. Oil pump bearings failure seem to be a common theme of posts.

The Spyder seems to be ridden far more than most people do on motorcycles, and some have over 50,000 failure free engine miles.

Being a highly electronic bike, and the first of its kind, most failures seem to be sensor and electronics (hardware and software) related- just my $.02 from reading posts on a daily basis.

I only have roughly 2500 miles in 10 months and it has been completely failure free - I don't count little things like: oil in air box , squeaky brakes and an occasional non-permanent error code pops up on the display.

BeRight
09-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Oh! I forgot to add that I have owned several motorcycles - yeah I'm an old fart. From sexy Ducati's (that were high maintenance for me but a blast to ride) to Yamaha FZ1 (bullet proof/failure free/has remained like new since new in 2003 - only changed oil/filter and rode it like I stole it).

The Spyder is now my only choice of ride - nothing like it available from anyone else. It is a blast to ride and a constant attention getter - oh yeah both chicks and dudes dig it. It has a larger profile than a motorcycle and therefore is more likely not to be completely invisible to cagers.

To me the reward of riding the Spyder is far greater than the risk of breaking down.

spyderlover2
09-22-2009, 08:14 PM

bcspyder
09-22-2009, 10:27 PM
75 % of the worlds light aircraft and ultralights have Rotax motors. Not the same motor that we have of course, but that would certainly suggest that people who can't exactly pull over to the side of the road find them durable.

chris56
09-23-2009, 08:45 AM
this same motor is in an Aprilla bike as well from what I understand. I wonder if reliablilty can be gleaned from that ...

i look sometimes in the aprilia (german-written) - forum .. my friend used one - also if the V2 has 140-160 HP in their version .. seems they have all together absolut no problem with the rotax - some drivers have more than
100.000 kms ( 60.000 mls) on the bike - so the spyder-version should have no problems with much more miles..
chris
(have now 12.000 mls - no problems)

BajaRon
09-25-2009, 12:34 PM
The Rotax is just like every other motor....It goes till it quits! :roflblack:

BLACK WIDOW
09-27-2009, 07:29 AM

But some a lot sooner than others.:spyder:

b2k
09-29-2009, 03:17 PM

or someone borrows a part off of it :roflblack:

Dudley
09-29-2009, 03:26 PM
I think that for the few exceptions of metal fatigue, the engine durability will depend on the care it is given. I have always believed that whatever you own will treat you just like you treat it. I hope to get 100,000 miles without major engine issues. Time will tell, but that's my goal.

cdragut
09-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Oh! I forgot to add that I have owned several motorcycles - yeah I'm an old fart. From sexy Ducati's (that were high maintenance for me but a blast to ride) to Yamaha FZ1 (bullet proof/failure free/has remained like new since new in 2003 - only changed oil/filter and rode it like I stole it).

The Spyder is now my only choice of ride - nothing like it available from anyone else. It is a blast to ride and a constant attention getter - oh yeah both chicks and dudes dig it. It has a larger profile than a motorcycle and therefore is more likely not to be completely invisible to cagers.

To me the reward of riding the Spyder is far greater than the risk of breaking down.