PDA

View Full Version : Correct me if I am wrong.....

SSPSpyder
09-21-2009, 04:16 AM
I WAS interested in upgrading to an RT, BUT -

silver only
manual trans only

I don't mind the extra $1500 for the semi-auto trans, but to get it, and have a choice on color, I have to order an RT/AC and pay $2000 extra for a radio, heated passenger handles, and extra gauges, all of which I don't want or need.:hun:

Reminds me of the old days with buying a new car or truck - in order to get air conditioning you had to get the 2 tone paint and different grill.

I know most of you out there prefer the manual trans, but come-on BRP, don't gouge those of us who want the semi-auto!

So, to replace my 1 year old RS/SE that I paid $16900 for will cost me $24500.:yikes: New cars and truck prices go up about 3% when the new model year arrives, this is a 33% increase for the Spyder!:cus:

FYI: The Touring competition: 2010 HD Road Glide or Electra Glide $19000. 2010 Victory Vision 8-Ball or Cross Country or Cross Roads $18000.

Lamonster
09-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Near as I can tell you are correct about the RT and the option packages. I don't really understand not wanting those options on a true Touring Spyder but that's just me.

The other bikes you listed are "Bikes" on three wheeled Roadsters so to compare the price of those to the RT is not really a fair comparison.

NancysToy
09-21-2009, 07:31 AM
This is a common practice, and I agree that it stinks. For instance, if you want ABS on a Goldwing, you have to move up a couple of models and get XM and a bunch of other frills, too. I can live without some of the frills, like the audio system, myself. The comm system, which I would like to have, requires the CB package, and does not appear to be integrated with the GPS or Ipod. As with all modern vehicles, we are forced to make some hard choices to get the options we desire. Shrewd marketing!

I might point out that once you add foglights, LEDs, travel cover, and some other desireable items to the base RT, the cost goes up fast. The RT-S is actually a comparable bargain for what it includes. You would have much more in adding all the options to the lower models, plus would still not have the electrically adjustable rear suspension. RT-S is competitvely priced with a similarly equipped Goldwing, too, and way cheaper than a tree-wheeled conversion.

SSPSpyder
09-21-2009, 10:43 AM
All valid points, but, for 25-30 thousand dollars the purchaser should be able to have the options he/she wants, not be force-fed those they don't, with the corresponding price increase.

Scotty, you are right, to a point, about value, but for me, options I don't want or need are worthless.

It wouldn't take much to offer a color choice or tranny choice on the RT, and not exclude a whole segment of potential buyers. The body panels are right there at the factory being installed on the other models, as is the SE trans, which any extra time/cost installing at the factory is covered by the extra $1500.

Henry Ford has risen from the dead and is alive and well at BRP - any color you want as long as it's silver, any option you want as long as it's already on the bike.

Anyone want to bet that for 2011 (maybe even before) the RT is discontinued due to lack of sales?

Dudley
09-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Seems like those of us who don't want because we don't use the frills are few in number. I agree with you 100% on asking why we can't have an option of an SE5 on the RT and the same colors available as with the high-end model. All the plastic fits all, so why can't we at least get an ordering option through the dealer. Seems like that would be a win-win marketing decision.

NancysToy
09-21-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't think this strategy will hurt RT sales any more than it has those of other high end motorcycles or any of the automobiles out there. On the other hand, I agree that it is silly to have to buy a package when you could select just the options you want. It has long baffled me why I have to get power windows, power door locks, and several other frills just so I can have cruise control on my car or truck. Try buying cruise without the "convenience package", though. I think this a fundamental error in marketing strategy. Selling more options makes more money, but so does selling more vehicles, and I am certain that they could sell more vehicles if the options weren't bundled, especially in these tough economic times.

Questions
09-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Here's a comparison for you:

Try buying a Lexus or a Jaguar with Adaptive Cruise Control. The only way you can get it is to buy a bunch of options you may not want or need.

Personally, I'm glad to see BRP introduce an alternative to the current models. In the motorcycle world these days, due to the economy, I'm not seeing too many innovations or new models for the next model year. Most manufacturers are just trying to get older models off the Dealer's floors.

H-D's 2010 offerings are not that much different than the 09's. Victory introduced two new bikes (Cross Country and Cross Roads) that are basically the same bike...one with a Street Glide-style fairing. The only change to the Vision, other than colors, is an ABS option.

I'm glad that BRP is offering a factory audio system/CB with the RT series. This way, as opposed to buying an aftermarket system, if something goes wrong, (hopefully) it will be covered under the warranty.

While I've admired the Spyders in the past, it took the introduction of the RT-S to capture my attention...and the contents of my bank account!

Lamonster
09-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Here's a comparison for you:

Try buying a Lexus or a Jaguar with Adaptive Cruise Control. The only way you can get it is to buy a bunch of options you may not want or need.

Personally, I'm glad to see BRP introduce an alternative to the current models. In the motorcycle world these days, due to the economy, I'm not seeing too many innovations or new models for the next model year. Most manufacturers are just trying to get older models off the Dealer's floors.

H-D's 2010 offerings are not that much different than the 09's. Victory introduced two new bikes (Cross Country and Cross Roads) that are basically the same bike...one with a Street Glide-style fairing. The only change to the Vision, other than colors, is an ABS option.

I'm glad that BRP is offering a factory audio system/CB with the RT series. This way, as opposed to buying an aftermarket system, if something goes wrong, (hopefully) it will be covered under the warranty.

While I've admired the Spyders in the past, it took the introduction of the RT-S to capture my attention...and the contents of my bank account!

So are we all good now? :doorag:

M2Wild
09-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Hummm ... 33% for that extra third wheel. That sounds about right.:shemademe_smilie::roflblack:

Questions
09-21-2009, 02:13 PM
So are we all good now? :doorag:

Yes! Didn't you get my "Thank You" PM? I just sent you a new PM. Thanks!

I'm placing the order tomorrow...the Sales-Kid took a few days off, or it would have been done on Saturday.

bjt
09-21-2009, 07:06 PM
From as manufacturing point of view, reasons to tie in a number of convenience options in a "package" are to make assembly easier, reduce the chance for mix ups in the assembly process and save on costs by getting options out in greater numbers, among other reasons.

Manufacturers are always trying to find ways to cut costs and have a more attractive buying price across a range of products. By "force feeding" options in packages, they are guaranteeing that they will get higher numbers of every option out there thus being able to offer all the options at a reduced price. Instead of paying $550 for option A, $670 for option B and $300 for option C, they sell you a package of all three options for $900. If they offered everything ala carte, most options would go up in price.

Also, if they sell a bare bones model, they may save money on certain installation brackets, wiring harnesses, etc. not needed. So they save $10 by not including the brackets and $2 on the basic wiring harness. To add the option to the standard model, not only do you have the cost of the bracket but you have the added work and quality control in verifying that the proper brackets and harnesses are installed on the bare bones model for the ala carte options. It complicates the assembly process and increases the chance of more cost in either unnecessarily installed brackets and wiring harnesses or a job making it to the station of the assembly line where the option itself is supposed to be installed and the brackets and special harness aren't there.

Option packages are usually decided on by a group of engineers and / or designers who decide what options will be most desired to be packaged together for their cost benefit and the buying public's option desires. Also, this is assembly line manufacturing so they try to keep it as easy as possible to limit mistakes and control costs.

NancysToy
09-21-2009, 07:29 PM
:roflblack: When I got my 1953 Ford F-100, it didn't have a passenger sunvisor. Believe it or not, each sunvisor was a separate option, as was a heater, fresh air heater, second taillight, etc. My, how times have changed! :roflblack:

Dudley
09-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Well, we each have our own wants and don't-wants. But, even with just the one color, the basic RT would be a better seller if the SE5 was offered. Again, there are still some of us who do not want to buy what will not be used on a motorcycle.

ArmyJoe
09-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Also, if they sell a bare bones model, they may save money on certain installation brackets, wiring harnesses, etc. not needed. So they save $10 by not including the brackets and $2 on the basic wiring harness. To add the option to the standard model, not only do you have the cost of the bracket but you have the added work and quality control in verifying that the proper brackets and harnesses are installed on the bare bones model for the ala carte options. It complicates the assembly process and increases the chance of more cost in either unnecessarily installed brackets and wiring harnesses or a job making it to the station of the assembly line where the option itself is supposed to be installed and the brackets and special harness aren't there.

When I talked to Fred Rau earlier today, he said the base RT models have the same wiring so the accessories can be added later.

Questions
09-21-2009, 08:40 PM
For the money, I would want the RT-S. But I do agree, I wish other colors were available. You like silver, I want metallic/candy apple red.

bjt
09-21-2009, 09:55 PM
When I talked to Fred Rau earlier today, he said the base RT models have the same wiring so the accessories can be added later.

Okay. My examples weren't meant to be specific reasons why the base RT and it's options are set up the way they are but in general terms. My examples / reasons could apply to manufacturing washing machines or Timex watches (or where I work, at a GM truck assembly plant), not specifically Spyders or automobiles. Basically someone or some group in BRP decided to offer the RTs the way they have and they have a reason for it.

spyderlover2
09-21-2009, 10:00 PM
i think that if we really look at every other kind of 3 wheeled and 2 wheeled cycle out there we would have to agree that the RT-S is priced VERY well when compared with ALL of the other rides out there.

(BRAND NEW GOLDWING TRIKES...32,000 AND UP, BOSS HOSS TRIKES...46,000 AND UP, EVEN THE STALLIONS ARE 32,000 STARTING PRICES.)

superior comfort, a tight ride with minimal air buffeting, knowing you wont roll it, and we still find COLOR a complaint. i am all for those who feel cheated out of something to speak out, and i encourage that 100%. i also know that BRP reads these type of sites that are out there too, which i applaud :clap:,
but think about this also....

i was checking out a site that sells cycles, and i found some tricked out trikes (2 back wheels) and they are beautiful. my issue is stability! you can very easily tip one over in a turn. then there goes the 30-45,000 you spent on it, plus time off for recovery for you and your passenger. you could have all but eliminated that problem and saved 5,000 up to 15,000+!

all in all, i believe that even having to buy all of the packages just to get an AWESOME semi-auto ride that is very comfortable, has maybe more "goodies" than you need, but... that you mostlikely will use one day sooner or later and be thankful for them being there... is completely worth the 26,000. not to mention all of the technology in these bikes.

i dont have the money myself to get one right now...and i also wished they were 15-20,000 dollars. i also know a great deal when i see one.
now, saying allllll of that, i do wish the RT-S did have a 12-1300 v-twin. at the same time, LAMONSTER has had many rides in his years and he seems to think it is a great machine and would buy one himself. i will take what he says to the bank any day. now i find myself wondering where i am going to get the money to get one for myself.

i see it this way... i am going to pay 5-15,000 less for my RT-S Spyder than i would for any other 3 wheeled ride out there, and have one of the safest rides on the road ta boot! not to mention having 99% of every option i will ever need in or on a bike of any kind.

the Spyder rivals ANY bike, trike, or vehicle out there price wise, and safety wise! you want color....paint it your very own awesome color for 1-2 or even 5000.00! you are STILL SAVING MONEY! :2thumbs: myself, i would love the blue color they offer but just a shade or 2 darker. but i will be more than willing to pay for that.
buy right and ride safe out there fellow spyderlovers! :ohyea:

PS....I DO NOT, NOR HAVE I EVER, WORKED FOR BRP IN ANY WAY.

bikeguy
09-22-2009, 12:56 AM
This is my first post. I've been lurking for several months and just recently signed in. I don't own a Spyder but I'm saving my money. I want one and the one I want is the RT. There are only 2 features on the RT-S that I care anything about. The electronically adjustable rear suspension and the heated passenger hand grips. The heated grips are an option on the RT and I've managed for 35 years to get by with mechanically adjustable suspensions so I guess I can gat by a little while longer.

I do wish the RT was available in other colors. My least favorite color is the silver but silver is my wife's favorite so I can live with it.

Unlike Lamonster, I don't care about listening to music while riding. If I did, I would get a small, good MP3 player and some ear buds but the wind and the sound of a sweet running engine have always been enough to assure my riding pleasure.

I've been riding for 37 or 38 years not counting the homemade motor bikes I rode when I was a kid. I started riding dirt and I still do. Riding dirt is still the most fun I've ever had with my boots on. I currently ride an R1100RT BMW on the street but it gets harder and harder to hold it up, especially with a passenger on the back, as I get older. So my solution to that problem seems to be a Spyder. Saving my money for an RT.

spyderlover2
09-22-2009, 01:07 AM
This is my first post. I've been lurking for several months and just recently signed in. I don't own a Spyder but I'm saving my money. I want one and the one I want is the RT. Saving my money for an RT.

welcome they are taking 1000.00 down to order one now! if you hurry then you will get one of the first "PREMIER EDITIONS"! THEY COME WITH A LOT OF EXTRAS!
:agree: with everything you said. one day (hopefully soon) i will be chewing up the asphalt with my own RT-S! when you get one...enjoy it for the rest of us! :2thumbs:
ride safe!

Lamonster
09-22-2009, 07:41 AM
This is my first post. I've been lurking for several months and just recently signed in. I don't own a Spyder but I'm saving my money. I want one and the one I want is the RT. There are only 2 features on the RT-S that I care anything about. The electronically adjustable rear suspension and the heated passenger hand grips. The heated grips are an option on the RT and I've managed for 35 years to get by with mechanically adjustable suspensions so I guess I can gat by a little while longer.

I do wish the RT was available in other colors. My least favorite color is the silver but silver is my wife's favorite so I can live with it.

Unlike Lamonster, I don't care about listening to music while riding. If I did, I would get a small, good MP3 player and some ear buds but the wind and the sound of a sweet running engine have always been enough to assure my riding pleasure.

I've been riding for 37 or 38 years not counting the homemade motor bikes I rode when I was a kid. I started riding dirt and I still do. Riding dirt is still the most fun I've ever had with my boots on. I currently ride an R1100RT BMW on the street but it gets harder and harder to hold it up, especially with a passenger on the back, as I get older. So my solution to that problem seems to be a Spyder. Saving my money for an RT.
:congrats: and welcome

DannyS
09-22-2009, 07:19 PM
As with most cars the model differences are to lead you up to the top priced unit. To do this you must make differences in the models. I think that with the base RT having the ability of getting all the options would as you say lead to people picking and choosing to load the RT the way they want in and leave less sales for the RT-AC and the RT-S. By setting it up this way by the time you load the RT to where you want it you might as well get an AC. Since you can't get the RT with so you go to the AC model or the S since you are spending that much money anyway. I just don't under stand the lack of colors. Only three when they are doing red and yellow and white for the RS. You would think they would have more choice. Maybe they figure people will paint to please themselves. I would love to have an RT-AC in blue with the trailer but I have sunk a lot getting my GS where I wanted it and would not get what I needed out of it so I am going to keep it and either put bags or a trailer on it. By the way no trailer is shown as an option for the new RS so I think we would still be voiding the warranty to put one on. Since I have not been able to get a best warranty on my used Spyder at a reasonable cost I guess I will put the hitch on when the warranty expires.:shocked:

BajaRon
09-25-2009, 12:41 PM
It's like every other business...BRP is trying to make a buck. If they don't make a buck (or enough of them) then they're out of business and gone (unless ***** is willing to send them money so they can continue to do things wrong without going belly-up). But that's a whole 'nother story.

We all have our ideas of how BRP could do things better just like we could do a better job of coaching our favorite sports team than the smuck that is getting paid to do it (especially if they're losing).

The thing is, BRP (and hopefully the coach) have a lot more information than we do.

Bottom line is, if we really were as good at running a company as we think we are, why don't we? It isn't as easy as it looks, most of the time.

Still, customers have a lot to do with steering a company into directions that we want them to go. Especailly if it makes economic sense.

Oldmanzues
09-26-2009, 02:29 PM
:roflblack: When I got my 1953 Ford F-100, it didn't have a passenger sunvisor. Believe it or not, each sunvisor was a separate option, as was a heater, fresh air heater, second taillight, etc. My, how times have changed! :roflblack:

I blieve spare tires and a rear bumber were also special options. The price changed too. What was it ? about $1900.00 or so

Old Man Zues