PDA

View Full Version : Off to Gatlinburg.....

WackyDan
09-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Leaving Charlotte around 8am monday and running out roughly 74/64 to Lake Lure and then down route 9.

Talked to a few others leaving around that time and traveling the same route that I might link up with. Stan... I saw you called, but I was running my spyder up to temp to check the oil about that time and missed the ring. Give me a call in the AM and we'll sync up.

My cell is 864-275-6178 and I'll be checking calls up to 8am or so when I leave, and I'll stop every now and then to see if anyone is lurking or wants to meet on the way. A convoy would be fun and safe.

Can't wait to see everyone and show you my wife's custom "quick Shade" she made for my Spyder today.

patches
09-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Leaving Tuesday morning..see ya when I get there in the afternoon. Be safe.

WackyDan
09-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Well... I made it. In one piece no less.

I've never ridden in rain like that. Ever. Least not on three wheels. Rivers of water were flowing over the pavement in the mountains. I hydroplaned a few times if not more. Sometimes just with the rear tire and sometimes with all three. The Spyder handled it very well, the nose stayed planted in the right direction, and if anything probably has given me a bit too much confidence in the rain now. It was amazing.

I on the other hand was wet where I should not have been and dry where I should have been wet. Go figure.

Left boot was a swamp, right was dry as a bone.

Gloves... Soaked. Should have had a far better pair with me. I have a spare pair, but once the first pair was soaked, I stayed with them.

Pants were wet, but they were wet before I put on my frog togs.

The Frog togs are probably one of the best purchases I've made as of late. They did a fine job of keeping the bulk of the rain off my body. I wish I had stopped and put them on sooner. I really need to invest in a full blown touring suit, but I'm not sure one of those would have been any better than my neon yellow frog togs, other than bulk, and the funny look I have now.

Saw lots of nice Spyders at the meet and greet and was able to finally see some of these mods up close. Can't wait to plant some of them on my Spyder. Thanks to those that let me sit and tinker.

Staying at the Old English Tudor in... Probably the best choice I couldhave made. Great bunch staying here with me, and the B&B is on a dead end that curves around out of sight into the driveway. Very private, quiet, and neat.

The_Spyderwoman
09-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Got to agree with you WackyDan on the Olde English Tudor Inn.......so far it's the best place we've ever stayed. I've never felt more at home anywhere. Had breakfast this morning......well, yesterday morning and it was fantastic. Can't wait to meet all the people who showed up today during the day. See you in the morning.........this morning!!

Firefly
09-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Can I ask what they're charging a night??

We're at the Red Roof inn.

Roaddog2
09-22-2009, 05:02 AM
In Ashville NC very wet flash flood warnings all over the place :doorag:

Roger
09-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Thats ok roaddog you are with friends and not at work so that has to account for something :popcorn:

WackyDan
09-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Well... I made it back from Gatlinburg. I'm only about 190 miles the fast way and 240 the scenic way, but this week was my first real multi day touring experience, worst ride in the rain ever and the most miles I've done in any given week on a bike. 970 miles overall doesn't compare to what some went through to get there, but it counts for me.

For those in Western NC and Eastern TN... I took RT 107/226 into Spruce Pines, and all I can say is that it is a mini Dragon. About 3 miles of twisties... Followed by Rt/HWY 181 out of Spruce Pines which was awesome!!! Several miles of long sweepers. Once again the Frog Togs came in handy and I stayed mostly dry.

Met some fantastic people at the rally. Doc, Billy Bob, Forest, Janice, Terri and Hubby, Steve, Ron and Frenchy, were all staying with me at the English Tudor Inn along with some others. Enjoyed my stay all the more thanks to them.

Met Khalid (sp?) with wife Sherri, Chuck and Julie, all from Dallas. Tom from SC. Went on our own little group ride on Thursday to the Dragon and other than some minor directional difficulties, had a blast with them and hope they all return next year.

Thanks to everyone there, I have a million new ideas for my Spyder and now know a bit more about the seats, risers, pipes, lights, etc.

Oh... And Doc is a mad man. I'd ryde with him any day!

spyderwoman
09-26-2009, 08:56 PM
wackydan we live on 181. we left pigeon forge at 10:45 and we didn't come off the mountain this evening until 6:45. it was foggy and the rain was cold and steady! anytime you want to come up for a ride we'll take you on some other good roads like 181 near lake james. we told lamont he needed to come down here too! we'd love to get a group up here. we are only 30 minutes from the parkway too!! lets plan on a ride when the leaves start to change!

Some Guy
09-26-2009, 09:58 PM
OK Wacky-Dan...I see how it is! You met all those great people but obviously you didn't like meeting Dan-Dan the Helmet-less "Firefly" Man or his fate-ful side-kick "Some Guy"!

I can't work like this!!! I'll be in my trailer. Call my agent. :(

The_Spyderwoman
09-26-2009, 10:13 PM
OK, we're still here at the Olde English Tudor Inn... so is Frenchie and Ron....rain, rain, go away!!

Loved meeting everyone!! What a hoot!! no-helmet MAN and some guy --we just loved you!! Can't wait to meet with you again...and you know...Gene and Brian.

WHAT A GREAT WEEK!! THANKS BILLYBOB, MARC, LAMONSTER AND ALL WHO MADE IT WORK AGAIN FOR YEAR #2!!!

WackyDan
09-26-2009, 10:21 PM
OK Wacky-Dan...I see how it is! You met all those great people but obviously you didn't like meeting Dan-Dan the Helmet-less "Firefly" Man or his fate-ful side-kick "Some Guy"!

I can't work like this!!! I'll be in my trailer. Call my agent. :(

Ha! Nah... It is just that by Thursday, Dan (firefly) probably had enough of everyone's barbs and not just my own. Julie and Chuck called me today and told me about his prize on Friday. :roflblack: